homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Saturday Solo - Lifetime dream (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Saturday Solo - Lifetime dream
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2007 08:31      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been watching Professor Pausch's last lecture on fufilling your childhood dreams. So if you had a limited time to live, what lifetime dream would you want to fufill?
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2007 08:39      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definetly want to travel around the world. Just sell all my possesions and just keep travelling even if the money runs out.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2007 09:04      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Similar to stevenback7's - I want to drive around the world to raise money for charity, something like these guys. Ideally combine with my other grand plan - buy an old ambulance, convert it into a camper van inside, and most importantly replace the "Patient Assessment In Progress - Please knock and wait" logo with "If the van's a rocking, don't come a knocking" [Big Grin]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2007 09:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all have a limited time to live. What childhood dream would I want to fulfill, Go to the moon? go to mars? These are not possible. Travel the world? I do that. I don't need a death sentance to make me travel. Neither does anyone alse in this thread.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2007 09:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did it back in June. [Big Grin]

ETA: well, I do still want to take a crack at the Appalachian Trail...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2007 10:21      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Xanth, when you do tackle the Trail, let me know when you get to Halifax, PA. We'll bring you some clean socks and chocolate. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2007 10:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SCORE! [Big Grin]

I don't know what's more enticing. Clean socks or chocolate. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2007 03:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All _________________________ Clean dry socks and undershorts that are fresh from the drier get my vote. Fresh chocolate is right behind.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2007 13:03      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been pondering my own question. I've fufilled one of my big dreams in creating a family with DM. Boy that dream was a lot of work. LOL
Growing up I always wanted to be an amazing scientist. You know get to work with Feynman or something. I don't really have the skills for it though. I don't know what I could do to get closer to that one.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 12:23      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone stole my idea!! [Eek!] Ah, but no one's was as intimately detailed or obsessively thought out as mine.. so.. HA!

(Warning: Long post ahead)

I was driving a great distance down a two-lane road last night (Michigan State Hwy 52, from north of St. Charles all the way to Chelsea, if anyone is interested) and in the dark, while driving past the fields of freshly mown hay (such a lovely smell [Smile] ), I got to thinking about Peter Gibbions, the main character from Office Space. Specifically I was thinking about "the million dollar question" that he talked about: "if you had a million dollars what would you do?" and inevitably whatever your answer is is what you should do with your life. For the first time in my life, I had an answer to that question. Here are the intimate details.

Assuming I got the million by winning the lottery, or by winning at "Who Wants To Be A Millionare?," and assuming that it's actually a million after taxes (hah!), I would take $100,000 and put it into my savings account, and then I'd put the remaining $900,000 into a certificate of deposit with a 12 month maturity. I would set up the CD to annually deposit half of the accrued interest into my regular savings and put the other half into the CD for another year. I've not actually done the math on this, but I /think/ that would allow me the luxury of living off the interest without depleting the $900,000 sum. Either way, I would want to have about $20k/yr. getting dropped into my /regular/ savings where I'd have access to it.

"But Kris, what about the $100,000 you stocked away to begin with?" you ask, "Surely you have plans for that!?"

Indeed I do! The $100,000 would go toward getting the most major and important bits of body work done on the bus (read: get the holes patched and the leaks sealed), getting a new clutch, new drive shafts, new front suspension, getting the cooling system up to spec, and finally putting in the heater contraption with the PVC pipe and the 631CFM blower fan I've always wanted. I'd also buy a spare: clutch cable, accelerator cable, accelerator cable clippy thing, clutch bowden sleeve, alternator v-belt, points and condenser, rotor, spark plug, set of plug wires, and other assorted small, inexpensive trinkets that tend to wear out, fall out of spec, snap, or break at inopportune times and leave you stranded at midnight in the middle of nowhere.

I'd then buy a new MacBook[Pro?], a couple of BIG (1TB?) FireWire external hard drives, a Coleman propane stove, a 12V electric cooler, three wired lapel microphones, and a bunch of Maxell MiniDV cassettes. I'd throw all of this plus my 10" cast iron pan, a small stock pot, my 4-channel mixer, my camcorder, and tripod into the back of the bus.

Fully loaded (and probably needing to add about 10PSI to the air shocks to carry it all!), I'd head toward The Mother Road. I would plan on traveling about 100 miles a day down the remains of Route 66, seeing, and documenting on video, what there is to see. The places, and the people. Interview random people I'd meet, and some of the people that own interesting attractions along the route.

I would sleep in the bus every night except for Saturdays when I would splurge on a hotel room so I could do my laundry and be clean, showered, and shaved for church on Sunday. [Smile] I would use the bus as my recording set where I could hold interviews. It would also be my editing studio. I would edit my footage (some driving footage, some interviews, some footage of interesting attractions) into a Chautauqua.. I.. I mean vblog, released weekly.

Hrm.. now how could I make this happen without winning the lottery?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 12:40      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds awesome MMB. I'd pay you to do that.

I've often thought about spending a year or so exploring America. I sometimes plan my route in my idle time.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 12:57      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK_____If you can get 4% for your cds, youyr would have 36000 in interest per year, minus 20% for taxes. wich still leaves you with more than 25,000 a year to live off of.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 13:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to cycle across Canadia... but it's a bit far... and it makes yer ass sore. And there's the odd hill in the way. But apart from that, it's a pretty sound idea, I think.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 13:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best cure for a sore ass is more riding. Eventually, the nerve endings shrivel up and die and your ass never gets sore again.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 13:32      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Best cure for a sore ass is more riding. Eventually, the nerve endings shrivel up and die and your ass never gets sore again.

[Eek!] Now there is a comment that is just begging to be taken out of context!

.....anyone seen Spungo? [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 17:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK _________________________ Invest the money in municiple bonds (road, Sewer, water treatment) the interest is tax free at least for now, These bonds pay slightly less interest but with out taxes you come out ahead.

I also drove 52 this weekend from Freeland to Williamston, then East on 59 going that way we avoided the cityiots that only drive the superslabs.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 17:59      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: M-52 doesn't go through Freeland (you know, Freeland, where the prison is... [Razz] ), it ends at M-46, unless you still count M-47 as M-52 (as it used to be over 25 years ago..). Strangely enough, I took M-52 for the same reason, just to avoid I-75, US-23, the orange cones, and idiots that don't know how to merge.

Just to reiterate, though, I don't /have/ a million dollars to spend/invest.. this is just what I would do if I /did/. Everyone seems to be giving me advice on how to invest the money I don't have! [Razz]

The bigger thing here is how I could do this road trip/v-blog thing without having to have a million dollars to back me.... So far the most likely option is to start selling all my possessions on eBay...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 18:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
The bigger thing here is how I could do this road trip/v-blog thing without having to have a million dollars to back me....

I met a guy doing something similar in South America, he paid his way by teaching languages. He was German, fluent in English and French, and planned on staying in South America until his Spanish was good enough to add that to his list.

Have a think about your skills, it may not be what you're doing for a living now, but most people have other skills that with a bit of polish could support a gypsy lifestyle.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2007 18:40      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you had a limited time to live, what lifetime dream would you want to fufill?
Duh. Doing it with twin 18 year old nymphomaniacs.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 03:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK _________________________ County Section line roads to US-23 to M-13. Beaver Rd to Garfield rd, past the Airport to Titibawassi Rd. Then S on Gramn to M-52 only crossing M-46, now where is this prison you speak of.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 08:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine:
If you do ever take a crack at the Appalachian trail, let me know when you get into the Smoky Mountains park portion. Clean socks, chocolate, water and other replacement supplies are yours for the asking.

if you had a limited time to live, what lifetime dream would you want to fulfill?

Well, there's travelling and seeing the world...
Oh, wait. I took a job that allowed me to do that for three and a half years.

Sexual escapades like quantumfluff suggested would be nice, but I kinda did that in college. No twins, but two people that closely related should not be involved in the same sexual encounter anyway.

Help my friends in some huge way? Heh... I do that already. Sometimes in remarkably over the top fashion. It'd be kind of cool if I could buy houses for a few of them. I haven't quite gone that far... yet.

I wouldn't mind going to Disneyworld with someone fun to share it with. I went about ten years ago, though, so it's not like that's an unfulfilled dream.

Honestly, except for impossible dreams like being the first person to walk on mars and the like, I've managed to do most everything I've ever wanted to do.

I wouldn't mind falling in love one more time, I guess, but... that seems unlikely to work out. Time will tell.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 19:35      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Hrm.. now how could I make this happen without winning the lottery?

Kris,

If you have to ask this question then you are not dreaming big enougn. More to the point, you do not trust yourself enough ton go freefall into the mad face of life.

Learn to write. Write well. Write with a strong voice.

You can go anywhere and do anything as long as you express yourself and are willing to share that expression with others.

I have done that. Stand-up comedy was another expression of wanderlust -- it doesn't pay all that well, but you travel and you are the center of the party every evening that you work.

There are odd jobs to take. There is always a ranch looking for a hand. A fishing boat that needs somebody to pull a winch, grab a crate or throw a fish.

The best six weeks I ever lived was on a ranch in New Mexico. The old rancher was growing weak and needed help. I worked hard and long for low wages. I had a bunk to sleep in without charge. Meals at the ranch was part of the deal. I was never allowed to pay for beers and burgers when we went to town. I left with a fat wallet and a lifetime of lessons and memories. I have the most utopian place to stay any time I'm in the area.

National Forests are free, you can stay in unimproved areas for no charge for up to two weeks -- just leave a small footprint.

Hotels are cheapest on the weekend. You can use the fax and modem to send manuscripts.

Life on the road is not Mama's place.

Learn to smell a rat and point one out with ferocity. The strong will respect you. The weak will fear you. And the weak will always show themselves to the strong.

I have made every dream in my life come true, except for one. I've lived through so many more nightmares than my share that I have prayed that I would not survive through them.

I have raised children to be good adults with strong values and unwavering work ethics. But I have never fathered a child and I miss that every day I live. After adopting my first wife's child, she hid away in a lab with ptathogens and teratagens so often it destroyed her ability to have children. My second wife died in tragedy. I am in my mid fifties and while I have not given up hope I am smart enough to know that in our society only the exceptionally wealthy have young wives.

The rest of us are nothing but dirty old men. We either accept the part or are forced into it.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 21:41      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second MMKK, down to the blog idea. Except, I want to do it on a bike- all around the southwest, and I'd like to visit New England in the summer.

I'd do the hotel thing on weekends. I'd sleep outside no matter the weather, carrying on my bike a bedroll and fire-making supplies. I had a neat idea for a basket that could hold a can of chilli or pork and beans just behind the exhaust, essentially cooking it as I drive. Pull over, make a fire, eat. Can't get any simpler than that.

I'd buy an unlimited-entry pass to the national park system, trying to stay in each one. I'd also try and visit small, [in]famous local places that I'd try to find on the web before I arrived in any given town.

The hardest part right now (I fully intend to complete this plan some point in the future) is figuring out where to put all my gear. I figure I can make pretty judicious use of saddle bags, but I might have to get one of those little trailers to carry my internal-frame pack and the rest of my gear.

This isn't so much a dream as it is a plan; I've been daydreaming/working on the details for this for a couple months now. I just need the funds and the metal, and I'll be good to go. I'm a semester ahead in school, so I can afford to take some time off (the hard part would be going back, methinks).

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 08:26      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a reader of a magazine that was running a series by a self styled "White Trash Icon" artist that goes by the moniker of George the Painter.

I remember reading an article where he decided to settle down for a while in AZ. But in there he mentioned that when you are on the road, you realize you need about half the junk you have packed.

You would be surprised to find how little a person truly needs to get by on, when doing the nomad bit.

Edit: For a while, when I was 16, I had basically left home and was wandering around town. More or less finding a place to crash wherever. While I did that, I lived out of three bags. Those three bags fit alright on the back of an old CL175 I owned.

Nothing fancy, just my clothes and some personal junk. Along with a toothbrush and clean up stuff. Plus I even went to school once or twice a week.

After a few months, I think I had whittled it down to two smaller bags after selling the stuff that was of no use and ditching whatever just got in the way.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 17:35      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I second MMKK, down to the blog idea. Except, I want to do it on a bike- all around the southwest, and I'd like to visit New England in the summer.

That is what I did.

Saddlebags carried clothing for all weather. Live on a bike for a year straight and a person needs clothing for all weather, plus a place to keep the cold-weather gear when it gets hot.

I avoided extreme cold as I traveled. Yet the year brought temperatures as low as 20F ( that was traveling with the warm weather, too_ to as high as 120F . A Harley-Davidson motorcycle does not like to start below 32 F so one is stuck once the weather goes below freezing. The best piece of clothing I owned was a pair of wool tights I purchased for $1.00 from the West Allis Speed Skating Club. Bonnie Blair's Mom sold them to me; Dan Jansen's Mom was there, too. The speekskating world is a small one. Only a buck a pair!

Most clothing was stored in the saddle bags inside zip-seal freezer bags with the air squeezed out.

T-bag on the luggage rack stored all camping equipment: tent, sleeping bag, mountain stove, fuel, food (Freeze-dried soup, ramen noodles, boxed rice and bean meals transferred to bags and coffee in tea bags, a bit of emergency water) Never forget the coffee in tea bags it makes you friends in the morning. I also had a small backpack fishing pole and a box with minimal fishing gear.

A gym bag on the b-seat kept the quick stuff and valuables. Stuff like a camera and a word processor. The word processor was a Cannon Star-Writer. It had plenty memory for writing, a modem port, it recorded documents to a small floppy drive and it would print on paper. Compared to the laptops and portable printers of the day it was good deal for a traveling writer. I also kept 50 sheets of paper protected in a large plastic bag. I could print a short manuscript in the mountains. I had jury-rigged a power adapter to work of the bike's electrical system.

The gym bag also kept two pairs of shoes -- lightweight running shoes and a pair of loafers. Bike boots get heavy. The loafers went with a pair of khaki pants and a blue blazer. Sometimes a blazer is needed. Meet a good woman and a blazer comes in handy. The blazer came in handy. I didn't need those things, but grubbies get old, and boots get heavy.

On top of the gym bag I had two helmets -- a full face for bad weather and a half helmet for helmet states.

For one year I lived on the road and followed the seasons.

I visited everywhere except LA/San Diego and New York City. I have been to Alaska and the lower 48. Traveled Canada, includigt the Yukon and most other provinces. Been to Newfoundland and some small Island that still belongs to France, which the Kennedys once used to import booze from Ireland during prohibition.

There are dreamers and there are doers.

Any questions?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture