homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Absolutely Amazing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Absolutely Amazing
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2007 12:02      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOLY CRAP! I'M IN DUBAI, UAE!!!

This place is absolutely amazing!

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2007 13:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been there but have heard wonderful things. It is definately on my list of place to go.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2007 14:33      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's awesome now but in about 4 years, all the construction will be done and it will be like a gagabillion times better. That's right, a gagabillion.
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2007 14:57      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it looks amazing from pictures - I heard they were having some trouble having everything keep up with the explosion of growth though.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted September 22, 2007 15:47      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice! Dubai is really awesome, it's like an oasis in the troublesome midwest.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 22, 2007 17:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cool!

post hot pics!!!!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 07:35      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glad you're doing well in our forces still! be safe!

no irc over there, eh? [Smile]

(returns to barely lurking)

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 09:00      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately I'm out here for business so internet access is somewhat limited. I haven't been on IRC for more than a few minutes in a long time.

I'll poast as many pics as are appropiate [Wink]

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 09:34      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately I'm out here for business so internet access is somewhat limited. I haven't been on IRC for more than a few minutes in a long time.

I'll poast as many pics as are appropiate [Wink]

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 09:52      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that they were rather strict in Dubai. No alcohol, no red light district, ect. What pics of inapropriate activities in Dubai do you have that you would not post in GCs' family oriented forums?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2007 08:49      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Ramadan right now. It's their holy month. Most places are closed but all the good clubs stay open, they just restrict their hours.

Speaking of the Ramadan thing, in complete respect, it absolutely blows my mind. They fast as long as the sun is up. The entire city does. Even the non-muslims. It's inappropriate to eat, drink and smoke in public during the day time for non-muslims out of respect to their fasting. I go out and all these places stay open, like all the restaurants but no one will serve you anything till 630pm.

Their clubs out here are freaking awesome! We get treated like royalty. Our hotel provides a free taxi service. All the cars are Lexus' BMW Mercedes' and if you want them to, they wait for you wherever you are. I went to the Buddah Bar last night and stood in line about 50 people back. The doorman came and pulled us out and brought us in. "No sir. You dont have to wait to get in." It's like that everywhere we go.

The majority of the working class here are fillipino and other Middle Easter nationalities. One of the guys carrying out luggage came here to work from Afghanistan to save money for his wedding. He hasn't seen his fiance in 3 years. He also lives in a 7 man apartment for 3000DHS a month. He said, "I only get paid 2000 to work here a month." I was extrememly intoxicated at the time but the math just didn't add up.

We were talking to a couple locals. Shakes, who were in some serious money. They said, two years ago there were only 3 buildings and everything else was desert. They also said that Abu Dhabi, the UAE capitol, is about twice as big as Dubai and with hardly any construction. The majority of Dubai is owned by a 3 or 4 Shakes from Abu Dhabi, one of which is the president who also has 17 sons and 5 wives.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2007 15:42      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace Raven : Only sons? no daughters?

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yan I.
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 11386

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2007 14:14      Profile for Yan I.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And a dog
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 14 posted October 01, 2007 10:44      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds awesome Jace. Can't wait to see the pics.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture