homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Sole survivor of clan not interested in selling out land for a fortune

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sole survivor of clan not interested in selling out land for a fortune
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 12, 2007 16:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JEFFREY LEE is not interested in the soaring price of uranium, which could make him one of the world's richest men.

"This is my country. Look, it's beautiful and I fear somebody will disturb it," he says, waving his arm across a view of rocky land surrounded by Kakadu National Park, where the French energy giant Areva wants to extract 14,000 tonnes of uranium worth more than $5 billion.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/07/13/1183833772710.html

What would you do?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2007 16:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one hard call for some of us "wage slave" western folks... but it seems not for him... and all power to him I say.

If the lure of riches and the rest of the "poisoned chalice" don't appeal to him and he /really/ believes what he says (and is not just bargaining the price up) then I am damned glad to hear it...

Save the unspoiled where we can - there is not that much of it left - I don't know that I would have the spiritual "grit and resolve" to turn down 5Bn (be it USD, UKP or even AUSD... too many zeros for my nerve to hold out I think) perhaps his single child free status helps him hold his resolve - or perhaps I cheapen him - but if he is not tempted then bloody good on him.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2007 19:37      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew an old guy who owned 16 acres on St John that would go for about a mil for .25 acre. He lived in the crappiest old house on St Thomas and didn't really care about making money.

His daughter cashed in.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2007 21:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a good look at the picture in the article.

Notice the guys complexion.

Here in oz, our current government introduced a whole 'nother set of rules for what land ownership means for aborigines. Many of the rights normally associated with land ownership don't apply. The mining company has to "consult" with him, but they don't have to get his approval.

Doesn't matter what he thinks, the mine will go ahead. [Frown]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2007 01:19      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Have a good look at the picture in the article.

Notice the guys complexion.

Here in oz, our current government introduced a whole 'nother set of rules for what land ownership means for aborigines. Many of the rights normally associated with land ownership don't apply. The mining company has to "consult" with him, but they don't have to get his approval.

Doesn't matter what he thinks, the mine will go ahead. [Frown]

[shake head] Any chance he can get the land added to the park before the mining goes ahead?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2007 01:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
[shake head] Any chance he can get the land added to the park before the mining goes ahead?

a) Not without the governments approval.
b) Wouldn't do much good if he did, this government would just allow the mining to go ahead in the national park (wouldn't be the first time).

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2007 07:37      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he had a wicked sense of humor he would donate the land to Greenpeace.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture