homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Monday Mono (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Monday Mono
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 07:39      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather than a Friday Five, how about a Monday Mono. What is the book or movie that you've read or seen that you'd recommend for the rest of us to take in this summer?
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 07:53      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two favourite books this summer are
Bento box in the Heartland, a memoir about growing up Asian American in whitebread Indiana. She does a great job of remembering the discomfort of being an outsider.

For a real laugh try They Call Me Naughty Lola. It is a compilation of the best personals in the London Review of Books. I was laughing out loud the whole time. [Smile]

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 08:07      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn. The first book was excellent and the following were rushed and poorly edited, probably because of deadlines and hurry to get the rest of the series out. The plots are thick and rich though, if you can handle the medieval dragons, sorcerers, and battling kingdoms genre.
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 08:44      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Book or movie i've seen recently,

well for books - last one I read was Hp7 and right now reading Gerald's Game by Stephen King. Gerald's Game is a typical Stephen King book it is about a wife in her late 30's with a lawyer Husband. Husband wants to be a little kinky and handcuffs her to the bed in there summer cottage. Husband dies of a heart attack because of a well placed kick in the nuts by the wife. And now the wife is chained to her bed with no one around her except for her dead husbands naked body in the front of the bed.

Movies - Ummm have to go with 300 on DVD. Movie needs no explaining.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 09:03      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still working on HP7. Yes, I did not finish it in one go like most people. ;-)
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 09:12      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Secret Sacrament by Sheryl Jordan. It's a beautifully written fantasy about stereotypes and sacrifice.

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 10:44      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
I'm still working on HP7. Yes, I did not finish it in one go like most people. ;-)

ME TOO! I'm actually reading the book I mentioned above at work when I'm bored and reading HP7 at home at night before bed.

I'm one of the few people who can read multiple books and not get the stories mixed up.

I'm at the part where they've just left Godric's Hollow (for the first time, if they go back...) so I'm going through it pretty slowly, although I just started it Friday.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 11:13      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crashing Through A biography about a man who was blind since age 3 and how he lived as a blind man, then got sight after a stem-cell operation. This guy did some crazy stuff. He did speed skiing--while he was still blind might I add. He was the first blind operative for the CIA. When he was in high school he went for a joyride on his sister's motorcycle. And learning to see again after forty years is an amazing thing to experience vicariously. It is a biography, but it reads like an action novel. Two thumbs up. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 06, 2007 11:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absalom, Absalom! is my current read. If you want to hear from a decently literate southerner why the south is f#cked up, it is a good read.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 13:06      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:

ME TOO! I'm actually reading the book I mentioned above at work when I'm bored and reading HP7 at home at night before bed.

I'm one of the few people who can read multiple books and not get the stories mixed up.

I'm at the part where they've just left Godric's Hollow (for the first time, if they go back...) so I'm going through it pretty slowly, although I just started it Friday.

Without spoiling too much, I've past that part. But yeah, that's more or less what I've been doing too: reading a bit before bed.
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 16:32      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah when I got Hp7 I just wanted to get it done - so I started Wednesday afternoon and finished Friday night. Without spoiling it - I didn't like the first 300 pages - not because I can't stand relationship in books (look at the book I'm reading now) just not in a Hp book. I dunno I liked the other Hp's better this one I saw what was coming way to quickly - but at least it gave some closure.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 20:54      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished HP7 - I love it, but then I'm a sucker for that series. Finished HP7 and then went to the theater a few days later to see HP5. Now I am listening to HP1 on my way to/from work. Audio books are great for that commute time.

It's been 2-3 weeks now since I finished Beneath a Sunless Sky (written by someone around here.) It's a great book. I'm more into the magic/fantasy thing than sci-fi, (like Harry Potter) but it was really an enjoyable read. One of these days soon I need to write up a proper review of it.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 07:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My current recommendation is Brian Moynihan's book about William Tyndale and how his passion to produce an English translation of the New Testament cost him his life. I have only one evening's reading left and then I've finished it, and it has been gripping from page one.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 10:33      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are certainly reading some great things. If you need something new after HP7, you might try Dragonbone Chair by Williams.

I think my library bought that Tyndale bio. I'll have to look for it.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 10:42      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I think my library bought that Tyndale bio. I'll have to look for it.

You'd best look under Moynahan, as it seems that I can't spell. [shake head]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 10:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading How to be a Complete Bastard by Adrian Edmondson... for the 85th time. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 11:13      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only new book I've read this summer is HP7. Other than that, I've used it as an opportunity to re-read some older stuff; mostly H.P. Lovecraft and Lord of Light. Lovecraft's stuff can get repetitive (I've noticed that his story always mentions the necronomicon, for example. And the speaker is usually reluctant to... speak).

Lord of Light is just great. Go check it out and read it, NOW.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 14:21      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone else must have read your recommendation. I had to put a hold on his bio. [Smile]

My brother is a huge Lovecraft fan. The best Xmas gift I ever got him was a Cthulu University t-shirt.

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 05:29      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been working my way through Warped Passages by Lisa Randall. The first half of the book explains how we arrived with the Standard Model and the problems with it. It's a pretty accessible book, with not too much math. The hard part is keeping all the particles straight.

Of course, I put it down to devour HP7 over the course of a couple days!

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 10:32      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been revisiting older classics this summer, and as such, have been reading Kerouac's On the Road ... highly recommended if you haven't crossed paths with it, yet. Puts you in a summertime adventurin' mood [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 10:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
I've been revisiting older classics this summer, and as such, have been reading Kerouac's On the Road ... highly recommended if you haven't crossed paths with it, yet. Puts you in a summertime adventurin' mood [Big Grin]

I have never finished On the Road. Made it to Chapter 7 and grew weary of his method of writing. The words didn't feel like they flowed so much as tried to pound their way out. Like difference between a waterfall and the pouring of a spittoon.

I spent nearly 14 years telling myself I would read it, and now that I own it, I am irritated that I wasted that much cash on his writing rather than getting another Raymond Chandler novel.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Powderhound
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4519

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 14:12      Profile for Powderhound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"the Baroque Cycle" books by Neal Stephenson; historical fiction intertwining the lives of many of the greatest names in science with those of other historical figures and events
Posts: 13 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 14:29      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I have never finished On the Road. Made it to Chapter 7 and grew weary of his method of writing. The words didn't feel like they flowed so much as tried to pound their way out. Like difference between a waterfall and the pouring of a spittoon.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. It probably has a lot to do with the way the novel was written: legend has it that Kerouac just pounded it out quick as you like in a stream-of-consciousness stylee on his typewriter. Sorry if you already knew that, I hate sounding like a know-it-all [Smile] .

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 14:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like what Capote said about it: "That's not writing, that's typing."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 06:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skylar, did you hear Russell Brand plans on driving Kerouac's route for the anniversary of the book?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture