homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » The Best Geek Vacations: The South Pole, Chernobyl, Tatooine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Best Geek Vacations: The South Pole, Chernobyl, Tatooine
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 15:29      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Best Geek Vacations: The South Pole, Chernobyl, Tatooine

The top 3 on that list that I'd like to visit are Chernobyl, CERN, and the Mauna Kea Observatory.

I'm surprised that Kennedy Space Center and the Smithsonian aren't on there though.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 15:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chernobyl? Are you shittin' me? Is it not still warm to the touch?

Geek vacations, huh... what about 7 of 9's underwear drawer...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 16:23      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Geek vacations, huh... what about 7 of 9's underwear drawer...

Huh. She wears underwear?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 19:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The /.er in me feels compelled to point this out:
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

(and yes, I /know/ about that site...please don't flame me)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 01:52      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

I've surfed kidofspeed many times but what is there to 'know' about that site? [Confused]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 02:02      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are more pics:

http://hem.bredband.net/b572399/Tjernobyl/

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 02:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
I've surfed kidofspeed many times but what is there to 'know' about that site? [Confused]

There are doubts about its authenticity

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 02:58      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

She didn't go through on a motorcycle by herself, she was part of a tour group.

--------------------

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 07:35      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to go to Tatooine. I'll raid Obi-wans hut so I can get his notes and make my own lightsaber.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 07:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I want to go to Tatooine. I'll raid Obi-wans hut so I can get his notes and make my own lightsaber.

Be sure it is instuctions on how to make a Jedi light saber and not a Jedi vibrator or the next Sith lord you meet will probably fall over laughing. [evil]

post scriptum
Is it me or am I being especially evil today? [Confused]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 07:52      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Is it me or am I being especially evil today? [Confused] [/QB]

Oh well

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 23:00      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can teach you the ways of the force young Padawan.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 08:26      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worked in CERN, so been there and done that [Wink]

Chernobly, well my brother and his wife, who are currently in Kyiv, went there on an organised tour.

Hmm, got to see what I would really like to do.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 15:32      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny. I've never been to any of those, but I am looking for a good place to go that is geeky enough and somewhere in the states (i.e. a reasonable plane fair, hotel, etc)

I did go to the Trinity site for the 60th anniversary of the test of the first atomic bomb. That was a trip for me and a couple of geek relatives. I good guys weekend basically with plenty of time to reflect on the implications of the bomb as well as lots of good stuff seeing the atomic museum and hearing lectures from people that were there for the test.

So, anyone want to suggest a something more reasonable to travel to - like something in North America?

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 18:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doco wrote:
Funny. I've never been to any of those, but I am looking for a good place to go that is geeky enough and somewhere in the states (i.e. a reasonable plane fair, hotel, etc)

Depending on your definition of geeky (and how easily you lose your appetite), the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia is either really cool or something you will never, ever want to be exposed to.

There are a lot of other things to do there too... some geeky, some not.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 18:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without a doubt, the highlight of my trip to the USA was the Kennedy Space Centre.
Saturn V rockets, lunar landing modules, rocket launches... geek nirvana.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 23:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Doco wrote:

Depending on your definition of geeky (and how easily you lose your appetite), the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia is either really cool or something you will never, ever want to be exposed to.

There are a lot of other things to do there too... some geeky, some not.

One of the oldest anatomy museums in the world is just a few blocks from where I live. I found it very interesting. I was also surprised to see how many parent brought thier young children, but then I thought, hey, the young children don't yet know tht a carvedup body is supposed to be scary, they are just interested in seeing what is inside themselves.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2007 11:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple years ago, I went to this place. Granted, I was there as a user and never got further than the experiment floor at the synchrotron, but they do a full tour and if you like tech I'm sure you'd enjoy it. You might even get to see dazed, stressed out labrats doing their thing. I certainly had a taste of nerdvana - or maybe that was just the sort of deliriousness that comes with spending 3/4 of a 48-hour block of time taking data (other people were with me, but I was the beam hog).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2007 15:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
A couple years ago, I went to this place. Granted, I was there as a user and never got further than the experiment floor at the synchrotron

We have a synchrotron here in oz now. I used to live just across the road from it. Of course, then it was a drive-in showing mostly T&A movies, but that wasn't too bad either...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture