homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Extreme piece of kit.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extreme piece of kit.....
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 11 posted July 29, 2007 13:29      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so yesterday a fuse blew and the lights went out. I went down the cellar to re-wire the appropriate fuse (yup, we still have porcelain fuses which you re-wire by hand!) and I thought to myself..."It would be nice to have a really good little torch for times like this".

So I threw myself on the mercy of Google for good advice and I found this, and loudly did I cry
"Woah...DUDE!"

A 2000 lumen arc-lamp, in a hand-held torch! Oh, and check out the price [Frown]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 16:23      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow!

also very handy if you need to flash fry anything!

You could probably signal other planets with that thing [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 17:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it only takes 20 disposable batteries and weighs 2kg! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2007 00:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And they say size isn't important...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2007 07:31      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 20 batteries is misleading, they are little lithium batteries.

Id like to leave that thing outside for a few years and see if it works. Looks like they built it to do so.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2007 08:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke Skywalker wrote:
The 20 batteries is misleading, they are little lithium batteries.

You're probably thinking of the little button cells that are used in watches. These aren't that small.

Type: 123A
Height: 1.35" (34.5mm)
Width: 0.66" (17.0mm)
Weight: 15.5g

Type: AA
Height: 1.98" (50.5mm)
Width: 0.57" (14.5mm)
Weight: 23g

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2007 13:41      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I suppose that anyone who can afford £3,500 to buy one of these, won't mind paying around £40 for each set of batteries, and probably won't mind dumping all that lithium into your local ecosystem!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2007 15:53      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still would be cool to try but not buy.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 14:05      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.. I know it's a necro - but I just got a new gadget, so sue me [Razz]

Anyway, I started this thread because I was musing on how it would be nice to have a decent quality torch (sorry, "flashlight"!) for when the fuses blow. Although I couldn't scrape together the £3,600 to buy the 2,000 lumen handheld arc-lamp I had discovered, I did take delivery today of one of these lovely devices.

The big, old, ugly, and very dim filament bulb D-cell eater in the cupboard can now stay there till it rots. [Big Grin]

Truly, I have seen the light. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 15:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here at Casa del Druid, we recently became the proud owners of one of these.

Surprisingly bright, and leaves your hands free to do whatever nefarious task you're up to in the middle of the night.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 16:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it is hard to hold on to a sheep with just one hand...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 08, 2007 19:22      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is spungo posting on Steen's account? [Cool]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2007 20:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just that kind of evening [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 00:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Well, it is hard to hold on to a sheep with just one hand...

That's what the wellies are for...

--------------------

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 09, 2007 06:32      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash: ... I did take delivery today of one of these lovely devices.
Is that your fenix in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture