homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Two from YouTube

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two from YouTube
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 15:02      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Pogue's latest NYT vid iPhone the musical is one of his best. This could have been slightly naff in other hands but he is so talented and so personally charming that you just cannot stop smiling.

The second film is by my 19 year old son, and was his final project for his foundation year course at Ravensbourne. The brief was to make a two minute film, and he ended up making this piece about the pigeons in Victoria Station. I am biased of course as his father, but I think it is a lovely little film. I am very proud of him.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 17:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one. Ah, the number of times I've trudged through there, usually half-pissed on me way home... (if suffering was good for the soul, I'd be Marvin Gaye by now... )
feet and pigeons. Hm. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 18:28      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm at Ravensbourne! (Studying animation; I didn't do a foundation year.)

Very nice student film. And I love the iPhone musical.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 00:23      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn nice little short there Calli

very good cinematography and clever shot juxtaposition I thought.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 02:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Serenak & Max, he has a good eye, and, (as his Tutor Tom said to me), he is a good storyteller. It's the first film he's made with no prior storyboard or shooting script, which was brave of him. I also like that he had the confidence (or nerve) to keep it simple. Many of the other films I saw at his show last week hadn't.

I don't know about you Max, but he has had a wonderful time this year at Ravensbourne. It seems to be great place. I'm envious!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 05:44      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Hey, I'm at Ravensbourne! (Studying animation; I didn't do a foundation year.)

Very nice student film. And I love the iPhone musical.

yeah I thought that sounded familiar. Hooray for stalkerbook!
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 18:24      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm.

Two minute film and it went 2:05? Are we seeing the young budding talent of a Coppola here?

And the two films you have put in one post... Are you suggesting your son's next venture will be the pigeons standing in line for iPhone II?

[Wink]

Very nice.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 06, 2007 20:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pogue's musical reviewed in New York magazine...

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/07/mccarter_on_pogue_he_went_out.html

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 22:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The opening scene (of Pogues video) by the water was interesting, them merkins sure do like that flag. Here in oz, most people wouldn't see that many aussie flags in a year.

As for the other, Calli junior definitely has a good eye, he'll go far.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 09:51      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet the only reason there were so many flags is the proximity to Independance day. Personally, I'm a bit sick of all the flags that have been around for the last six years, but it looks like I'm in the minority.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 17:45      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes but it sure was funny and actually pretty good [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2007 05:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I bet the only reason there were so many flags is the proximity to Independance day. Personally, I'm a bit sick of all the flags that have been around for the last six years, but it looks like I'm in the minority.

Oh yes, silly of me to forget. July 5 is when you celebrate the storming of the Bastille by Abraham Lincoln and Benedict Arnold. Have a croissant for me. [Wink]

A little factoid I learned today: in the UK there are only 18 days a year when the flag is flown over public buildings.

We're not much for flag-waving here either. Until last year when Our Beloved Prime Minister (may he burn in hell forever) made it a pre-condition for receiving federal funding, many schools didn't even have a flag pole.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture