homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Want to change species?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to change species?
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 11:19      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First genome transplant turns one species into another

yeah, okay, so its a different form of bacteria. But... you know how this stuff advances.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 11:45      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironically enough, last night's South Park rerun on Comedy Central was the episode where Kyle's dad is surgically altered into a porpoise. Among other TransFoolery.

Edit (now that I've actually read the article):

It seems to me on the one hand, if we can engineer "synthetic" lifeforms the invasive species problem will be taken to a whole new level. On the other hand, we'll be better equipped to combat that with even-different-er synthetic invasive species. And so it will go, just like the computer security war. Plug one hole, another three open up.

Also...
quote:
In the experiment, researchers extracted the whole genetic code from a simple bacterium, Mycoplasma mycoides. They squirted the DNA into a test tube containing a related species
Do you suppose the used a Zune to do the squirting? Isn't it sad that a word is tainted in my vocabulary now thanks to the verbal geniuses behind that brown piece of poo?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 10:40      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you suppose the used a Zune to do the squirting? Isn't it sad that a word is tainted in my vocabulary now thanks to the verbal geniuses behind that brown piece of poo?
Don't touch the brown piece of poo. I've completely ignored it and all marketing related to it and managed not to get brown poo stains all over my vocabulary thank you very much. Actually I have no real opinion of the Zune itself. It was coming out when I was trying to decide what MP3 player to buy and I decided to go with the known quantity of iPod rather than the brown piece of poo, um I mean the Zune.

--------------------
David Rogers

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 11:51      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that I should weigh in on the actual topic of the thread instead of just commenting on a side comment.

I can't claim to be any kind of expert of this field, in fact I'm certain that I am downright ignorant of most of the aspects of this field at this time. We are probably seeing a major advance in the science and technology of this field which will likely lead to solutions to many problems in the years and decades to come. On the other hand, with knowledge comes choice, and some may choose to explore use of this knowledge as a weapon. In between there are ethical questions which will need to be asked and answered, and there is always accidents, negligence and downright unintended consequences to be concerned about. What form might these take? I don't really know, see my disclaimer at the beggining. I may read up on the field and try to write a short story on the subject based on what I learn. I look forward the future of developments in this field with a mixture of excitement and trepidation.

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 07, 2007 19:00      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not so sure about changing to a different species, but I would like to make a change in Homo Sapiens - I've been saying for years that only two arms was a really bad engineering decision.

I've been working on this idea since High School, but I still can't figure out how to arrange the second set of scapulae... [Frown]

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture