homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I just took another step... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: I just took another step...
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 06:22      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course there should be the standard disclaimer about consulting with your physician before starting any weightloss/diet program! :-)

Incidentally, I have my yearly checkup next week. I'll see what shape I'm in this year compared to last! [Razz]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 06:26      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
I've always wanted a personal trainer.

I employed the services of a personal trainer when I lived in Tennessee. She was a sharp cookie: as soon as I started some lifts, she noticed little details like the order I was bringing the muscles into play. For example, on leg presses, she saw the slight (just half an inch) sideways movement of my knee. By focusing on that through lots of repetition, we were able to change the firing order and bring some balance back to the strengths of the various parts of my quadriceps.

Also, we did a lot of core training. I'd done lots of long bike rides, but after working with her I noticed that I was finishing long rides feeling much better than before and still in good form.

Pick your trainer carefully, though. I've heard other people talk about how their trainers had them do 20 minutes of warm-up when the session started, had trainers who took cell-phone calls during the sessions, etc. Mine expected me to warm up on my own before the sessions, virtually ignored other people while she worked with me, didn't let me pull any crap while we were working, and drew up plans for sessions and diet on her own time.

We also had compatible personalities, and quoted Napoleon Dynamite between sets and machines.

Worth every cent I spent for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
But it's so boring inside.

The scenery inside my gym is rather nice. [Wink]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 06:29      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
quote:
But it's so boring inside.

The scenery inside my gym is rather nice. [Wink]
Shouldn't you keep an eye on how your handling your equipment? Wouldn't want you to take a mis-step on that treadmill now, would we? [Wink]
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 07:08      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
Shouldn't you keep an eye on how your handling your equipment? Wouldn't want you to take a mis-step on that treadmill now, would we? [Wink]

That's the difference between ogling and gawking, heh.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 07:11      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:

That's the difference between ogling and gawking, heh.
Either way, both will get you into some sort of trouble. [Wink]
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 22, 2007 07:52      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: challenge - do we really need a complicated setting? What about everyone just writes their day/week/month accomplishments (even if just "managed to cut back on the brownies, lost 2 pounds in the last month"). Sure, those who train seriously can add more (like official weight*, time spent on training, goals attained and such), but others could join up with whatever information they want to share.

Hey, everyone could spend a couple of bucks on a tailor measuring tape (?) and post bust/chest, waist and hip measurements, add the weight if they want to (precise if taken with a spring, electronic or medical scale, clothes on or off, morning or evening), and we could all see each other's progresses. Anyway, I consider measurements to be a better tracking tool than just weight, because one could loose a kg of fat and gain a kg of muscles: the scale will show no change, but the tape will.

I'll give you mine tomorrow, as I didn't checked this morning (raised late and took too much time in the shower), and tonight is my first training (so I'll have to wait until my water level is stabilized again to get a good weight reading). But it'll be honest - anonymous admirators** could buy me sexy clothes based on them, and they would fit.

* I consider an "official" weight one taken with a medical scale, ideally with someone else taking care of it - be it a nurse, a personnal trainer, or a cousin who happen to have access to one and knows how to use it.

** One can dream! [crazy] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 09:14      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I hate gyms. They bore me. I'm amazed so many of you can tolerate them!

I get bored at normal gyms, too. I joined an indoor climbing gym, as it gives me enough variety to keep me interested.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 09:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:

I get bored at normal gyms, too. I joined an indoor climbing gym, as it gives me enough variety to keep me interested.
See, I find even indoor rock gyms a bit boring compared to the outdoor version. Something about real rock...plastic holds can't compare.

I can, however, enjoy martial arts indoors.

supa: a few months ago, I found myself in the cardio studio at my school's rec center. The cardio studio has big picture windows overlooking the pool. I was down at the diving well end. It was boring as hell until about seven or eight hot dudes showed up in swim trunks and started goofing around the diving boards. Unfortunately, none of them were particularily good at diving so my interest waned fairly quickly, but it was nice while it lasted.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 14:16      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:

See, I find even indoor rock gyms a bit boring compared to the outdoor version. Something about real rock...plastic holds can't compare.

I can, however, enjoy martial arts indoors.

supa: a few months ago, I found myself in the cardio studio at my school's rec center. The cardio studio has big picture windows overlooking the pool. I was down at the diving well end. It was boring as hell until about seven or eight hot dudes showed up in swim trunks and started goofing around the diving boards. Unfortunately, none of them were particularily good at diving so my interest waned fairly quickly, but it was nice while it lasted.

Back to good old "Jaaaaaack *droooool*" days, eh Xanthine? [Wink]

Stereo: BMI doesn't mean jack (note to Xanthine: no pun intended, [Razz] ) you should be looking at body fat percentage instead.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 22, 2007 17:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Stereo: BMI doesn't mean jack (note to Xanthine: no pun intended, [Razz] ) you should be looking at body fat percentage instead.

I know BMI isn't a perfect solution, still it's fair indicator once you know about the exceptions. Plus, it's easier to calculate than body fat percentage. But I'll have the latter taken next week along with my fitness evaluation, so I'll have a better idea.

I'm also back from my first training. My head was feeling a bit light after the 20 min. of cardio training (not spinning per se - just light, and not for long). True that I mostly stayed over my target pulse, but I felt lowering the difficulty would have been too easy. DDR got me used to some serious pumping, I think.

I will definitely load my iPod with appropriate tunes for the next trainings, though. (Didn't bring it today because I was being shown around and had the machines explained, as it was my first time.)

Tune in tomorrow morning for my starting stats! (Now, I'm going to regain all lost calories by eating some dessert...)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 17:47      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this fitness talk actually got me motivated enough to hit das gym tonight; hopefully I'll get to work in with some meathead so I'll have to lift what he's lifting instead of being a lazy bastid.
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 18:12      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all this talk makes me want to go gain weight so I can lose it and participate!!! [Frown] I'm a skinny guy right now. I pace too much.. What staff does GC have for programming?

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 22, 2007 19:00      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My BMI stands in the 20 line, so no worries here, but I'm still very sedentary, and at my age is crucial to get the ideal body shape to avoid problems into adulthood.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 19:40      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
My BMI stands in the 20 line, so no worries here, but I'm still very sedentary, and at my age is crucial to get the ideal body shape to avoid problems into adulthood.

For you it's not so much the body shape as much as your overall health. [Wink] Teens do not always focus on the right things when it comes to their health. You're still developing to some degree. Make sure you at least maintain a healthy diet and get regular exercise. When you're done developing then you can think more about stuff like muscle development and toning or what have you.

[Smile]

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 07:06      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's time for the ugly truth. Drumroll, please:

Weight: 85,6 kg [electronic, morning, no clothes] (that's about 189 lbs) - I have now lost 3 kg from my highest plateau.
Bust: 111cm (43 3/4 in.)
Waist: 92 cm (36 1/4 in.)
Hips: 109 cm (43 in.)
(I have also lost 3 to 4 cm for each, thus going down one size for sewing.)

So my goal is to lose about 10 kg* in order to go below the 30 BMI, which should also have me slim up by about 6 cm or more, for another size down. Hopefully, within 6 months or less. (And then, only 2 more sizes to lose, and I'll be thinner than I ever been since teenage - but I'm realist, and I don't expect to get there before a couple of years of training, if I can keep up.)

So there, no hiding anymore - you know it all.

(*edited because I had my height wrong when I first calculated my BMI - oops... and ouch!)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 05:52      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll fess up, too, just because stereo was so nice to tell us and so she doesn't go alone.

Weight: 152lbs or 69kg (up nearly ten pounds from february)
Height: 5'8" (173 cm)
Bust: 37" (94 cm)
Waist: 29" (73.5 cm)
Hip: 42" (106.5 cm) (junk in the trunk, anybody?)
BMI: 23

as for goals: I don't care about the measurements -- if I don't like what number the tag says I rip it out. But I feel best and healthiest at 145lbs. Thats 65.8 kg btw...

The doctors say I should aim for 135 but I look positively sickly at 140 -- they don't know what they're talking about.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 06:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, This looks fun, and so its not just the ladies, i will join in as well.

Height 193 cm
weight 92 kg (down from 105 when I moved here and gave up driving)
BMI 24.7 ( I guess 25 is on the high end of healthy)

I don't know my bust size and I cannot do the other measurements as the only ruler in my office is staight and that would look a bit weird to my coworkers, me measureing my bust and all. ( I did have some small man boobs when I was heavier though. )

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 07:02      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Height 193 cm

you're tall! [hearts]
I like tall.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 07:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Height 193 cm

you're tall! [hearts]
I like tall.

I'm also married
 -

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 07:30      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and you're also on another continent...
and I'm very happy with my (tall) boyfriend...

I was just stating my opinion on tall men... no harm in that is there? [Smile]

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 07:56      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Height 182.88 cm
weight 69 kg
BMI 20.3

I'd love to gain some weight but I guess my BMI says I'm average.. o.O

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 08:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The doctors say I should aim for 135 but I look positively sickly at 140 -- they don't know what they're talking about.

I agree with you. Both your BMI and your waistline says you are doing great. No need for you to turn into a skeleton. I would need to lose about 30 kg to get the same BMI.

But as for my health, studies has shown that overweight people losing 10% of their body-weight significantly lowers their health risks, so I'll start with that, thank you. Only once this goal attained will I aim for another 10% loss, and maybe another one after that. I'll still be plump enough to be visible, but my (healthy) life expectancy will have increased by few decade or two (or three), and that would be good.

Oh, and thanks to those who shared, too. (Not that I needed it - I believe I am mature enough to face the thruth no matter how unpleasant; it's just that I don't feel overly exhibitionistic anymore.)

Slack: depending on who you believe, you are getting close to too thin. (Most sources say the limit is 18, but some dissenting voices put it at 20; if you are moderately active - that is, you have some muscular mass, my personal opinion goes toward a 20 lower limit).

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 08:36      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Oh, and thanks to those who shared, too. (Not that I needed it - I believe I am mature enough to face the thruth no matter how unpleasant; it's just that I don't feel overly exhibitionistic anymore.)

psh, I didn't post that to make you feel better!! even though maybe I said that... but that wasn't all of it, I swear! This is the humble beginnings of my master GC weightloss club plan... then after this I will have no part in creating probably, since I don't program (I failed Java2 in highschool and that was that...).

I'm usually the brainchild behind projects (christmas card clearinghouse, anybody?), and then sit back and watch them fly while I get little credit.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 08:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack...gyms...exercise...such unpleasant thoughts. [Razz]

I can't quite bring myself to embracing such a regimen to meet false ideals. [Wink]
[Yay for counter-culture slogans? =P]

I could probably stand to be in a bit better shape...but instead of doing silly indoors stuff like that, I just dragged my girlfriend out for a hike yesterday. Much more pleasant*, IMHO, except for the mosquito bites. Oh, and if no one hears from me in a few weeks, I was probably felled by West Nile. [Wink]

*Treadmill or stairclimber, anyone? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 13:02      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 175lb
BMI: 24.4 - once again, just a meaningless random number. Bet our resident meatheads (WS and Supa) are well over 25, with under 10% body fat.

Goals? It would be nice to lose 5 pounds of fat and gain 5 pounds of muscle mass to get my body fat content under 10%, but I don't think it's worth the effort. A week or two of sushi and long bike rides will take care of the fat part, but the muscle part would require countless hours at das gym, and I'm just way too lazy for that.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture