homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I just took another step... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: I just took another step...
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 19:11      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some of you will remember that I started ballroom dance classes. Well, not this summer (I would have needed a partner, and didn't really look for one, so I'll wait 'till next summer for the special classes). But I didn't want to go from somewhat active to inactive again, especially as I managed to lose 2-3 kg in the last 8 weeks. So I just signed up to a local gym - 1 year contract, with a personnal trainer every other week for 6 months. I have 37 days to cancel, so it's not like I signed my soul off.

If I can continue with the same weight loss rate for 6 months, I'll be pretty happy, as I'll get under the dreaded 30 BMI that artificially separates "obese" from "overweight". (Not that I look overly obese, mind you; BMI doesn't make a difference between fat and muscles, and I'm not totally inactive.)

Chances are you'll hear more from me about that - if only to get some moral support. Nice and healty when I turn 35? That would be great, wouldn't it? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 20, 2007 22:27      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome! Keep us posted, and good luck with this... I'd be interested to know if the personal trainer helps with the motivation.

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 05:53      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wanted a personal trainer.
A friend of mine in the army (leaving soon, too.) forces me to run more often and farther... but its not the same.

I lost 20 pounds in 6 months about two years ago, kept it off, and NOW of all times, I gained back 10 lbs in the past 4 months (I fell into a downward spiral after my best friend died -- part of the reason I disappeared from here). So I decided yesterday that I'm going to start getting up half an hour earlier and running in the mornings.. so we'll be in this together [Smile]

The first few pounds... kilos... whatevs...
The first few are the hardest to lose. Then you get the ball rolling. It'll suck for the first few weeks and then if you start skipping them, you'll start to really miss your workouts and how invigorated they make you feel.

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted June 21, 2007 07:46      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your friend - you have my deepest sympathy.

The person I talked to yesterday told me that the third month is the worse; if one can get through it, then an habit it is. Oh, and that changing routine every month helps keep the benefits up (I've heard it before too: after some time, the body grows accustomed to the training, thus lowering the energy response to it).

Oh, and I've only recently changed from reading my weight in pounds to reading it in kg; I've also stopped taking my measurements in inches and now use cm. For some strange reason, the body is one of the very few things that is still measured with the imperial system (at least in my family, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn it is the same all over Canada). I thought it was time to get rid of this anomaly.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:00      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah, yeah I can see that too. after 3 months you just are so bored and tired of working out every day or every other day.

Changing it up is good too! I'm not creative enough to think of ways to change my workouts on my own. I look forward to the beginning of the next school term. Fencing team, Here I come! reminds me I need to dust off my swords [Smile] they haven't been touched since february [Eek!]

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA: One of my best friends died when I was in highschool... I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. [Frown]

I wish there was Wii Fencing, that would be cool. Wii lightsaber sports anyone?

Stereo: but pounds are easier to lose! [Razz]

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:30      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Stereo! I, too, need to begin the process of getting back in shape. I know I need to because some of the hikes I've been going on with my friends have forced me to have to catch my breath.

There's not much I can do right now, as I don't have any gym memberships and the student gym isn't open to me, but I /have/ been doing some calisthenics... pushups, situps, etc. When I'm waiting for something to compile or download here at work I'll usually drop and do ten pushups. In fact, I'll probably do some after I'm done writing this [Smile]

I'm not so much concerned about my weight; 300 lbs (140 kilos? 2.2-to-1, right?) is a healthy weight for me (for those of you who don't know, I'm a big, big guy). I weigh more than that now, and I need to bring it down if only to liven up my step when I hike/run/kick ass.

Anyways, Stereo, good luck and $DEITY speed!

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:33      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovey, I don't think 300lbs is a healthy weight for anybody. Yes, you're huge, but... still.
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:41      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd be surprised. That's what I weighed at the end of my last football season, so that's what I consider a healthy weight. It's just a matter of changing the muscle-to-fat ratio back to where it used to be, that's all.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely sorry to hear about your loss BA. I have have lost 3 friends in the last 4 years to various things. I still find that my mind will wander to them, even now.

I have begun to lose some of the weight I have picked up over the last few years myself. It is tough since I <3 my burgers, sodas and anything that even has the hint of unhealthy. But I am back down to a more manageable 205lbs. Though it would really be sweet to get back to the 175-180 I was about 4 years ago. Because I still have a bunch of pants that I would like wear. [Razz]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:44      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should start a GC weightlosswars challenge (www.weightlosswars.com).

Its free to sign up but I think you have to pay like $10 to enroll in a challenge.

You basically compete against each other to lose weight in healthy ways.

and I don't know if canucks and eurotrash (uh... <3) can enroll.

Lost1soul
Geek-in-Training
Member # 8387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:50      Profile for Lost1soul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
We should start a GC weightlosswars challenge (www.weightlosswars.com).

Its free to sign up but I think you have to pay like $10 to enroll in a challenge.

This is a delightful idea! But forget that.....we could totally set up our own. You guys are programmers.....come up with some nifty way for all of us to keep track of it.....and even better, for free.
Posts: 33 | From: Hampton Roads, Virginia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well if it has to be in healthy ways, I am already out of the competition. You do not want to know how I lose weight. All legal of course. But healthy? I bet if I actually would see my doctor he would have a fit. Well, the few times I have bothered going, I get the standard lecture. "You smoke too much, you drink too much, you eat terribly, and you need to ... blah, blah, blah."

But I do believe that the everyone should be included. So long as we can agree on a proper form of measurement. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 09:01      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

How about the rest of us? [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 09:49      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've been slowly losing weight myself, as I've been trying to get back into shape. I was up to 205 lbs, and I'm at about 195 now. I'm hoping to do a backpacking trip with the trailcrew in July, and I think I'm almost ready.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 21, 2007 10:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should start a GC weightlosswars challenge
awesome idea

/me issues coding challenge for a GC weight loss tracking program.

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 10:29      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll look into the coding thing, but no guarantees... I don't have much free time these days, and my weekends are my time. But I don't think it would be too complicated... database with uname, password, weight goal and some progress tracking mechanism... and simple interface thereto. Should be easy to do with Django or Rails.

--------------------

TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 10:34      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand about losing your best friend. My best friend since junior high died 3 years ago and I still miss her like crazy. Find myself wanting to call her...even after all this time.

Weight is a bad subject with me. Having been heavy all my life, and finally deciding 2 years ago that I was done with that, I had a gastric lap band surgery done. Now, 12 pounds from my ultimate goal, I've been basically stuck for nearly 4 months and am at my wit's end half the time. Up the exercise, vary the calories, blah blah blah. I lose a pound, then I'm right back to stuck again.

I'm all for a challenge though.

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 11:35      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I'll look into the coding thing, but no guarantees... I don't have much free time these days, and my weekends are my time. But I don't think it would be too complicated... database with uname, password, weight goal and some progress tracking mechanism... and simple interface thereto. Should be easy to do with Django or Rails.

Moving average and curve fitting would be beneficial. I'll be glad to help with the regression if you're interested.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 12:00      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

I, too, am trying to fix my own stress-and-noveling-earned BMI . . . frustrating but I'm going to the gym nearly every day. You can do it, and I am looking forward to joining you in the under-30 BMI set.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 15:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate gyms. They bore me. I'm amazed so many of you can tolerate them!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 15:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine:
Not everyone hauls 60 pounds of stuff up and down the side of a mountain risking hypothermia for fun. Some people appreciate working out in an indoor environment [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 16:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it's so boring inside. And hypothermia is easy to avoid if you aren't being stupid.

That said, when I was training for Denali I went to the gym when circumstances forced me into it. It was boring.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 16:33      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This all sounds like an interesting challenge. [Smile]

I kinda had a little headstart in my own weightloss, but that was due to other things. I have a personal goal to lose at least another 10-15 pounds.

What I've noticed is that even though I'm eating healthier these days, it's the PORTIONS that are killing me! You know how it is when the food tastes really good.

So how/when/where do we sign up for this challenge?

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 06:16      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have to wait for nerdwithnofriends and the rest to make the program, and some sort of online storage and sharing, and etc. Because its no use if you can't see other's progress -- thats the motivating right there.

Oh shits! BBK has lost 4% of her body weight/10 pounds/has burned 2189 calories (I don't know what metric we'll use...), I better go running today!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture