homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Grad school in the can!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grad school in the can!!
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 21:01      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No! This isn't a cheap toilet reference! I have completed my grad school requirements and am awaiting the proverbial overpriced paper! Ah! Sweet freedom! I had forgotten what choosing books to read was like.

Now I'm a master in more ways than one.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 02:52      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!!!! [Applause] [Applause] [thumbsup]

So what's next? More time in academia or time for the "real world"?

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 03:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w00t! [Applause] [thumbsup] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup] [Applause]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 05:57      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congratulations.

its about time that I start the dreaded GREs and such. I feel so lost and behind... like a little sheep.

Keep spungo away, please.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 06:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 14:39      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you choose to go for a Ph. D. after this, make sure you read PhD Comics. Like so many other doctoral students, I thought that it was joking until I actually entered grad. school.

...It's eerily true.

Anyway, congratulations!

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 14:43      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
congratulations.

its about time that I start the dreaded GREs and such. I feel so lost and behind... like a little sheep.

Keep spungo away, please.

The GREs are only the beginning [Smile]

Just take some practice tests before diving into the real thing and you should be fine. ETS makes two practice tests available online as part of their "PowerPrep" software. It mimics the exact interface you'll use on the test.

If you know the daily rhythm of your concentration, I would also recommend scheduling to take it when you're most alert. For me, that was 11:00 AM after a nice long walk and a big breakfast.

Oh, and if x^2 = 4, x = +- 2. You need to know that to get into the right mindset to answer some of the quantitative problems. Two runners running a fixed distance is a problem to be solved using harmonic rather than arithmetic means; that's also a common trap.

Earlier questions count more than late ones (I hate adaptive tests, but if they're going to insist on using them, by all means use the adaptive format to your advantage). You don't lose points for wrong answers. The late ones still count, so budget your time.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 18:30      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, and if x^2 = 4, x = +- 2...
Oh I always forget to put the stupid "+/-" - I hate it when the only marks taken of from you on a test are because you forgot to put a little minus sign in.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 19:44      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
quote:
Oh I always forget to put the stupid "+/-" - I hate it when the only marks taken of from you on a test are because you forgot to put a little minus sign in.
On the GRE, you'd be given x^2 = 4 above, x on the left, and 2 on the right and you'd be asked if the left was greater (A), the right was greater (B), the two are equal (C), or there's not enough information to tell (D). The first thought is C, x=2. The correct answer is D.

This single question encapsulates the entire mentality needed to do well on the quantitative comparison questions, which is why I posted it.

littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 20:19      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!

And yes, even though I'm nowhere near grad school, PHD comics is great.

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 05:59      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
quote:
On the GRE, you'd be given x^2 = 4 above, x on the left, and 2 on the right and you'd be asked if the left was greater (A), the right was greater (B), the two are equal (C), or there's not enough information to tell (D). The first thought is C, x=2. The correct answer is D.

This single question encapsulates the entire mentality needed to do well on the quantitative comparison questions, which is why I posted it.

I'm actually pretty good at that kind of thinking. But... harmonic vs. arithmetic? Harmonic isn't a term I've heard before in math. They don't make us micro majors do much -- the most complex thing I've ever had to do is partial derivatives. [Roll Eyes]
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 00:21      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The harmonic mean is just the number of terms over the arithmetic mean of terms' reciprocals. The arithmetic mean is what most people mean when they say "mean" without a qualifier.

For example, Alice and Bob are racing from points A to B and back, separated by a distance of 40 miles. Alice runs there and back at 20 mph, Bob runs there at 30 mph and back at 10 mph.

The "trick" answer, and the one you'd get by an arithmetic mean of Bob's speeds, is that they finish at the same time.

In actuality, Bob's average speed is not 20 mph, but 2/(1/30 + 1/10) = 60 / 4 = 15 mph. Therefore, Alice finishes first.

This is intuitive if you think about it: Alice travels for a time of 2 hours at 20 mph to make it from A to B, then another 2 hours back, for a total of 4 hours. Bob travels there for a time of 1.3 hours and back for a time of 4 hours, for a total time of 5.3 hours.

If you see "harmonic" without the "mean" part, it can also indicate "harmonic numbers", "Ore harmonic numbers", or "harmonics" in Fourier transforms [Smile]

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 06:12      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
This is intuitive if you think about it: Alice travels for a time of 2 hours at 20 mph to make it from A to B, then another 2 hours back, for a total of 4 hours. Bob travels there for a time of 1.3 hours and back for a time of 4 hours, for a total time of 5.3 hours.

That is the way I would have solved it in the first place. The REST of that gibberish was... well... gibberish. I'll leave harmonics for music.
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 08:12      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever works. I just find it easier to use named concepts that already have other identities derived from them.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture