homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » metric system (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: metric system
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 12:48      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
apparently some countries haven't realized that the metric system makes it sound bigger then it is.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Metric_system.png

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 12:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't this be in the jokes forum?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 12:59      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care where you put it. I don't get it.
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 13:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
I don't care where you put it. I don't get it.

america is one of three countries in the world that uses feet, pounds force, pounds mass, ect. to measure things. Either they are a powerfull leader for not conforming, or they are troglodytes.

I'll take my grams and newtons over pounds force and pounds mass any day.

oh yea, and it is a joke that the numerical value for the lenght of a penis is higher when measured in SI.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 13:17      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must just be too innocent...
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 12 posted June 19, 2007 14:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You? Innocent?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 15:29      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 15:42      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the map means that the countries in red don't use metric as a standard measure?

This wasn't set up so well . . .

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 16:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the United States adopted the metric system in 1866, and again in 1975, and again in 1988...

Nobody seems to have told the American people though [Frown]

(except the park rangers, I seem to recall park signs giving heights of mountains in metres (sorry, 'meters') when we were there in 1993, strangely, distances between places were still listed in miles)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10652 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 18:55      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wish we could go metric and get it over with! This kinda'-in-between thing we have now is really stupid! The populace will conform... eventually.. if all the American manufacturers started to use the metric system to measure things. Most people that are affected by this have already done the first step of conversion and memorized common similar sizes. Most car people already know that 13mm is /almost/ 1/2", and 15mm is /almost/ 5/8" and 8mm is /about/ 5/16"...etc. The scientists know that 20C is 68F... 32F is 0C.. and my favorite, -40F is -40C. I could go on, but I'll stop rambling and make a point.

The first thing that pops to mind w.r.t. this half-way-converted state we're in is the automobile industry (but I'm sure there are plenty of other areas). When I work on my VW... made in 1978 in West Germany (as it says on the door frame)... I know to get out the metric sockets and wrenches and everything goes just fine. When I work on my Buick... made in 1998 in Detroit... I have to switch between metric and Imeperial wrenches and sockets throughout the car. The brace that goes across the width of the front of the car is held on by nuts that are 1/2"... but the side-post battery terminals are 8mm! Of course, if I use the wrong type of wrench on the wrong nut/bolt, I could wind up rounding off the head. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 20:56      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<great line from "Brazil" />Augh! They've gone metric without tellin' us!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 8 posted June 19, 2007 21:18      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate American System!
I hate knowing that
1 lb = 453.6 g
1 in = 2.54 cm
1 ft = 30.48 cm
1 mi = 1.6 km
Thank you USA, for wasting some of my precious brain.
Mistakes corrected.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 23:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
I hate American System!

You don't know the half of it...
1 mile = 8 furlongs
1 furlong = 10 chains
1 chain = 4 rods
1 rod = 25 links
1 link = 0.22 yards = 7.92 inches
1 yard = 4 spans = 9 hands = 3 feet
1 foot = 12 inches

Yes, I was made to memorize this when I was in school.

Oh, any we can't blame the merkins for this, they inherited it from the brits.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10652 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 06:01      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I hate American System!
I hate knowing that
1 pd = 453.16 g
1 in = 2.54 cm
1 ft = 30.48 cm
1 mi = 1.6 km

here's another nonsensical bit of american information: "pound" is abbreviated "lbs." not "pd."
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 06:05      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
I hate American System!
I hate knowing that
1 pd = 453.16 g
1 in = 2.54 cm
1 ft = 30.48 cm
1 mi = 1.6 km

here's another nonsensical bit of american information: "pound" is abbreviated "lbs." not "pd."
That's not an American convention -- it probably predates America... I'm not sure, but I suspect it's latin fer somefing. I think it derives from the Roman libra.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 06:58      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another strange wrinkle to this. An American pint is 16 fluid oz, which is logical since that is the amount of ounces in a pound, but for some reason we in Britain changed that so that our pint is 20 fluid ounces. I don't know why, but it does mean you get a larger pint of beer, which is a good thing.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 07:01      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
way to screw up that "a pints a pound the world around" rhyme. wankers.
Neil
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8881

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 07:35      Profile for Neil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lbs comes from the Latin "libra" meaning to weigh.

What about places before the metric system was invented? (Yes there was such a time!) Other countries such as France and Russia used their own varations of the pound during Medieval Times. As its Latin roots suggest, the pound originated from a Roman unit of weight.

So it's not really fair to blame the English soley for the headaches caused by the pound! When the metric system was introduced, it was embraced in some areas more than others. I think France adopted it easily, England has to a great extent only last century whereas USA is still resistant. So it's not about who invented and spread it, but rather who has not yet updated [Cool]

Secondly, there is no harm in knowing abotu other unit systems. It is not a waste of brain. In fact learning more improves your brain, does it not. There is nothing special about the metric system. It is just more convenient. For example, 1000 metres in 1 kilometre. Easy. How many inches in a foot? No idea. However, from an mathematical point of view, where human convenience is irrelevent, nobody cares. Both systems are equally able. You cannot measure something in metric but not imperial.

I made a mistake in this section I can't be bothered to fix lol.

Posts: 14 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 08:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
I hate American System!
I hate knowing that
1 pd = 453.16 g
1 in = 2.54 cm
1 ft = 30.48 cm
1 mi = 1.6 km

here is an even more monsensical bit of american information about pounds, that americans measrure both mass and force with it.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Neil
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8881

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 08:33      Profile for Neil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pound is a unit of weight, not mass. And weight is a force. It's the force of gravity. So your corrected sentence should be: pound is used to measure weight and force. Correct.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 09:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka wrote:
here is an even more monsensical bit of american information about pounds, that americans measrure both mass and force with it.

Umm... no, we don't.

Force is measured in "pounds force" or "lbf", not "pounds" in English units. More commonly that value is converted into Gs with the assumption that you're using Earth's average gravity as your reference value. While pounds force is not commonly used outside of engineering, most people in the US will have some idea of what a G is.

Amusing side note... our ancestors got gravity measurements wrong too... the average gravity on our planet is slightly less than 1G at sea level. Oops.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 10:26      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just FYI - the slug is the US unit for mass.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Neil
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8881

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 11:42      Profile for Neil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well depending what I read on the net, pounds are either described as a unit of mass or weight. I can't be bothered to figure out which, so I will just stick with kilograms and Newtons. [Cool]
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 12:32      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the NIST description.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 04:18      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, so, when I'm trying to figure out the price of something in the frozen northland, first I convert SEK to USD, then approximate grams to pounds. Or liters to gallons. It makes grocery shopping a math-tastic adventure.

And then there is deciphering the ingredients label to make sure the product is vegetarian friendly...

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture