homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Hey, Kaitlin, let's go to Applebee's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey, Kaitlin, let's go to Applebee's
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 19:11      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toddler served margarita in a sippy cup

ANTIOCH, Calif. - Kim Mayorga was confused when her 2-year-old started making funny faces and pushing away the apple juice he had ordered at Applebee's. The explanation came when she opened the lid of the sippy cup and was hit by the smell of tequila and Triple Sec.

The restaurant staff accidentally gave Julian Mayorga a margarita Monday. He grew drowsy and started vomiting a few hours later and was rushed to the hospital.

"I wasn't going to make a big deal about it," the mother told the Contra Costa Times on Thursday, "but then he got sick."

The apple juice and margarita mix were stored in identical plastic bottles, and the manager mistakenly grabbed the margarita container to pour the boy's drink, said Randy Tei, vice president for Apple Bay East Inc., which owns the franchise restaurant and nine other Applebee's in the San Francisco Bay area.

The Mayorgas will be reimbursed for their medical bills, and Tei said the franchise group's restaurants will no longer serve apple juice and margaritas in similar containers.

"We absolutely believe it was an honest mistake," Tei said.

The serving appeared to have been accidental, Antioch police Lt. Pat Welch said. Mayorga said her son is now doing fine.

She said the company has been very apologetic and offered free meals, but she added, "If they think I'm going back there, they're ridiculous."

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lost1soul
Geek-in-Training
Member # 8387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 19:49      Profile for Lost1soul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
being both a food server and a mother, the person I sympathize with the most, is the poor man/woman who made the mistake in the first place. I can't imagine they would do it intentionally and they've got to feel incredibly awful about the whole thing.....especially knowing what kind of trouble it caused. They most likely lost their job over something that was a pure, honest mistake. If it had happened to my son, I would be upset but you know, no one died, my son would end up being fine and they are paying for everything.....plus free meals. I mean, seriously. Would any restaurant knowingly do the same crap again? Anyway, that's my two cents.
Posts: 33 | From: Hampton Roads, Virginia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 15, 2007 20:13      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! At least, when growing up, he can bluff in front of all his schoolmatess that he was the youngest who got drunk!

Fortunately all went well [Smile]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 20:16      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes you think the manager was fired? Everyone is saying that it was really an accident. I bet at most s/he was transferred to another store.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 20:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost1soul wrote:
If it had happened to my son, I would be upset but you know, no one died, my son would end up being fine and they are paying for everything.....plus free meals.

Well that's just Unamerican. You're supposed to over-react, scream about how badly things could have turned out and file a lawsuit against the company in the hopes of a huge cash settlement to make up for your mental suffering.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 21:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Well that's just Unamerican. You're supposed to over-react, scream about how badly things could have turned out and file a lawsuit against the company in the hopes of a huge cash settlement to make up for your mental suffering.

Quite right Steen.
That mother lacks the sense of litigious initiative that made America what it is today.
I mean, if a pair of pants is worth $65 million a rat-arsed toddler has to be worth $billions. This woman has missed the chance of a lifetime!

(of course, in Scotland, the mother would be complaining about being given short-measure...)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 21:37      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I mean, if a pair of pants is worth $65 million a rat-arsed toddler has to be worth $billions. This woman has missed the chance of a lifetime!

(of course, in Scotland, the mother would be complaining about being given short-measure...)

Oh come on, he lowered it to $54 million. [Wink]

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 21:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Oh come on, he lowered it to $54 million. [Wink]

Well, it's good to see he's being reasonable about this...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 09:52      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good God, that judge is a complete and utter jerk. They FOUND the pants! And WTF about $15,000 to RENT A CAR?! That's nuts.

They ought to countersue for him being racist. This suit should be thrown out. They owed him the value of the pants and perhaps the alteration and dry-cleaning bill as a kindness, but they found the pants two days later, so outside of the inconvenience of him going twice (which could be offset by, again, giving him the service for free).

That said, I've dealt with cleaners before who won't take responsibility for their mistakes and still demanded the fees for the bad work. It sounds like the cleaners initially made an issue of not reimbursing him for the pants (and probably charging him for the service), so he decided to pull strings and become punitive. He will lose, but not before they have been dragged through the courts and lost much more money than the pants were worth.

Yes, they should have been more careful; no, he should not sue. As for the Applebees serving drinks to minors? What moron thought it was clever to put gold-colored margarita mix next to apple juice -- and have it not clearly labeled with ginormous writing on the bottle, itself? The manager was an idiot and Applebees needs to be sued so they are inspired to make corporate changes.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 09:56      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta disagree - the Applebees didn't do that as some corporate mandate "MAKE SURE THAT THE ALCOHOL IS PLACED NEXT TO THE JUICE". It's just some idiot put the two next to each other, and an accident occurred.

No biggie. Worse than that happens all the time.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 10:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate Applebees, and this just gives me all the more reason to loathe them.

It's surely a stupid mistake, and I don't think they really need to be sued for it, but I would laugh in their face at the offer of free meals...if I had my say in things, I'd *never* go there. The only times I've been there (twice?), I've been dragged along by friends.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 14:38      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not lose sight of the real crime here...

They pre-mix their Margaritas!  -

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 03:09      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
RE: Pants

"I think we may class the lawyer in the natural history of monsters."
    -- John Keats, 1819

Lawyer (noun): One skilled in the circumvention of the law.
    -- Ambrose Bierce

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture