homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » What nightmares are made of (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What nightmares are made of
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 21:33      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible nobody has mentioned Return of Hogzilla?!!

http://www.redorbit.com/news/oddities/946893/boy_bags_giant_hog_said_bigger_than_hogzilla/index.html?source=r_oddities

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 12:32      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmmmmm - lots and lots of pork sandwiches.

(sorry - nothing more intelligent to add while waiting for a build to complete)

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 12:41      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't want to see an angry hippy, look away now........

<rant>

Ok, so I realise the kid was probably doing nothing illegal, and probably also doing nothing unusual for his peer group, but....

What a senseless waste of life. A magnificent animal has been killed quite unnecessarily, and not even quickly or efficiently. I can understand killing for food, but that pudgy-faced hooligan is clearly in no danger of starving to death.

Makes me sick.

</rant>

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 12:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash wrote:
What a senseless waste of life. A magnificent animal has been killed quite unnecessarily, and not even quickly or efficiently.

For what it's worth, wild pigs are an invasive species here and they cause a lot of damage to the native plants which, in turn, messes with the whole ecology of the area. Ideally, they wouldn't be here at all, but they are. Moving them elsewhere isn't an option, so are killed.

It definitely should have been killed quickly, though, as anything else is pointlessly cruel.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 13:17      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
...wild pigs are an invasive species here ...

Ok. Fair point. I didn't know that. I've done enough conservation work in the past to know that you can't simply ignore invasive species.

So I'll revise my position - keep the thrill-seeking juveniles at home, and get adults to do the job humanely with decent rifle. And if a single shot is not going to do a clean job, shoot some tranx into the beast first, and then at least it won't feel the coup de grace.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 13:23      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, it's a pig.

Seriously. If the situation had been reversed, it wouldn't bother with tranqs. I've spent my share of time up a tree waiting for a boar to go away... they're not the world's most gentle beasts.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 13:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by WinterSolstice:
I've spent my share of time up a tree waiting for a boar to go away... they're not the world's most gentle beasts.

No, course they're not. They are mean, nasty and vicious. But they don't get together on a Friday evening and say "Hey, let's put a crate of beer in the car, drive out to the city and shoot us some WinterSolstice".

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 13:41      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only for lack of a car, man [Smile]

They do say "Hey, something moved over there - I'm going to run at it as fast and hard as I can... just because"

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 13:47      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't bother me that people hunt. People have been hunting for as long as there have been people. And I live in an area where there are plenty of deer for them to hunt, too.

However, I hear that hunters tend to prize the biggest, most impressive animals (as opposed to wolves, who probably have an easier time catching the slow and weak prey animals), so they end up taking the strongest ones. I don't hunt, so I don't know how much that affects the overall health of the herds.

And then there's stuff like this. This animal was very nearly unique. Also, it tried to run away for three hours after it had been shot the first time. That doesn't sound very pleasant.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 13:58      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have hunted in the past, though I stopped because I just couldn't abide the misery of it (on both sides...)

I just don't give animals any kind of mystical credit, nor people any mystical blame.

We're all just animals. It's what we do. There's nothing more to it than that. Baboons are not evil for it, lions are not evil for it, nor are we. Many things shoot for the "best of the bunch" but settle for what they can get. Lions would prefer the big healthy gazelle, but they take what they can get.

The natural order is kill if you can, die if you can't. That's all there is to it. I don't hear people complaining about the plight of wheat or fungus or fruit.

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 15:17      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or are all the pictures a little suspicious, in that no one is ever seen in front of the pig? I know that they found that the original "Hogzilla" was quite a bit smaller than claimed, but the pictures made it look bigger, thanks to forced perspective.

This site provides evidence that they did the same with this one. I bet that's why they had it mounted and the meat made into sausage before the size could be independently verified.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 15:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sxepto: I'm with you on this one, definitely fake.

You can see the focus on the pig is different than the human in the background.

There was a similar story in oz a couple of years ago, hunter shoots mythical 'panther' that's been reported in the area for decades, and returns with nothing to show for it but one blurry photo of dead 'big cat' in foreground and hunter standing well behind it.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 16:52      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is, if I saw that thing coming at me .. [Eek!] hey, even if it wasn't coming at me, even if it was just casually strolling by .. [Smile] I think my heart would stop, I'd freeze to the spot, and for the first time, possibly ever .. I'd be speechless.

[Big Grin]

(And don't everyone go rushing out in search of a giant wild boar costume to shut me up ...)

But anyway, a couple of points. This story took a few weeks to break, apparently. [Confused] I think this all happened on May 3. And there are independent witnesses who verified the size of the boar. In addition, the taxidermist has measured the circumference of the head (which is being made into a trophy.) Also, if what I read is correct, they didn't set out to get this thing (hence the pistol, probably) they stumbled upon it and then went after it.

I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. *shudder*

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:03      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O_I_N_K

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:05      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*speechless*

(let's see how long this lasts) [Big Grin]

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:09      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the thing probably was pretty large for a wild hog, just not that big. I suspect some of them were in on it, and others just didn't get a good look at the whole thing. Like fishermen, hunters enjoy exaggerating the size of "The Big One".

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boo wrote:
*speechless*

(let's see how long this lasts) [Big Grin]

According to UBB, your next post was two minutes later.

Don't shoot the messenger [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:12      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That long, was it? [Big Grin]
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:13      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
All I know is, if I saw that thing coming at me .. [Eek!] hey, even if it wasn't coming at me, even if it was just casually strolling by .. [Smile] I think my heart would stop, I'd freeze to the spot, and for the first time, possibly ever .. I'd be speechless.

boo dear, this is how I'd react if i saw you. [Wink]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:14      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
Well, the thing probably was pretty large for a wild hog, just not that big. I suspect some of them were in on it, and others just didn't get a good look at the whole thing. Like fishermen, hunters enjoy exaggerating the size of "The Big One".

So how big do you think it was, then? They reported it at 1051 pounds.  -

And I did consider the possibility that it wasn't even the kid who got it, but the guys all agreed to let him have the glory, or take the last shot or something. What gets me is how long it took for the word to get out. [Confused]

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:16      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
quote:
Originally posted by boo:

boo dear, this is how I'd react if i saw you. [Wink]
Yup. [Big Grin]
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:17      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops. You got me all discombobulated with your sweet talk there, Astronomer Jedi. [Embarrassed]
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:18      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Razz]
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boo wrote:
What gets me is how long it took for the word to get out. [Confused]

Maybe the dad had to wait for the weekend to get drunk enough to decide he could make money off of it with a web site selling posters, t-shirts and hats?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 17:21      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think it took him that long? Yessuh, them there southern bubba's, theyze reeel slow.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture