homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » What do you wear to work? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What do you wear to work?
Nancy2
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 8280

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 09:46      Profile for Nancy2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted something on IBM's retrospective called The Way We Wore....and would like to find out from more like-minded geeks across the country what they're wearing to work these days. If you have time can you stop by and let me know? Am hoping to get a future article out of it and will credit the forum as a resource. Thanks!
What do you wear to work?

Posts: 1 | From: albany | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 10, 2007 10:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently wearing a rare and exquisite Mac Genius polo, and black jeans. [Smile]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 11:34      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polo and khakis.

Those mac genius shirts are pretty cool [Smile]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 11:44      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks down*

Purple ribbed top and black stretch trousers. Neaty, comfy.

That's a good example of my day-to-day clothing, although since I've started taking ballroom dance courses, I wear skirts at least once a week, sometimes with a camisole and a see-through white shirt, or a blouse. It depends, really. I also recently bougth a very nice skirt-suit (white with silver studs), that I also wear with a cami.

(No guys, I don't provide scientific evidence for those. [Razz] But if you ask very nicely, I may post the photo I'll get from my upcoming end-of-year dancing party.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 12:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tie-dyed t-shirt, brown capris, and birkenstocks. I also have a sand colored flannel shirt to put on if I get chilly or have to work in the cold room or something. This is actually one of my more respectable get-ups.

The thing about where I work is, if you wear something nice, it won't be nice by the end of the day.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 12:52      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regular, boring, office-style shirt/trousers/shiny shoes combo for me [Frown]

Although I did recently acquire a very,very loud puce shirt. The women all say "That's a lovely colour shirt" and the men all say "What are you doing wearing a pink shirt????" [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 13:47      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monty Python pajama pants, tee shirt from a trade show, no shoes, no socks.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mangler
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 14:10      Profile for Mangler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polo, khakis, sneakers; I <3 working in academia!

--------------------
I'm in ur Internets... stealin' ur infoz.

Posts: 10 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 14:23      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tarp, goggles, rubber gloves and hip waders. I can never seem to get rid of the stench of chain saw oil and death though.....
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 14:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
The women all say "That's a lovely colour shirt"

... and behind your back "what a pity he's gay".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 14:57      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

I used to get that [Smile] I had to start dressing down more. I actually have fair fashion sense, but I try not to make a point of it.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 15:14      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I'm a sweaty tomato wheezing through town on two wheels, it's a close-hugging t-shirt and a pair of manky, old jogging pants... complete with a layer of dried road-mud up my back, and a residue of yellow drool and lung-haemorrage.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 16:20      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The school I work at is pretty slack, so today I'm wearing something close to a Canadian tuxedo - a plaid shirt and dark jeans, but with a silver knit hoodie over top. I have an interview at one of the highest regarded schools in the city tomorrow, so I'll be wearing a suit to that, likely with my plaid blazer, as I always have good luck when I wear it.
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 16:55      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

I used to get that [Smile] I had to start dressing down more. I actually have fair fashion sense, but I try not to make a point of it.
Gays don't always dress nicely. I've known a few who didn't.

What do I wear to work? God, nothing if I can help it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 17:47      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Khaki cargoes, white dress shirt, unbuttoned, over some manner of Thinkgeek/Jinx shirt.

Pretty classy, so far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 17:59      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm blue jeans and casual dress shirt right now.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 20:01      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extremely tacky red, green and a mix of those two colors checkered button up shirt and navy blue shorts. Ick...

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 20:32      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always jeans with either a t-shirt or a short sleeved casual button up shirt. And NEVER a Polo style shirt!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 21:39      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Today it was my Zend php5 tshirt.

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 00:03      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Work being uni - a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and maybe a shirt over the top.
Work being internship this summer - I've no idea what the dress code is yet!

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 11, 2007 01:33      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working from home - whatever I like, or not as the fancy suits me (bit of a shock for the delivery people though). On the road, Logo'd shirt from my main client (if I'm representing them) plus suit, or just the full suit / tie.

It's not the visits that kill me it's the driving in a full suit - I usually take some scruffy shorts and a t-shirt to wear in the car and change just before I get to the site.

Or if I'm travelling on the bike (motor variety!) a pair of Draggin' Jeans and some Triumph low boots plus the logo shirt. A lot of my clients are media types and actually find the suit odd / amusing. A surprising number are also bikers which helps - including Triumph motorcycles themselves.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 03:41      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dress pants, dress shirt, dress shoes. Thankfully no tie or jacket, though. Damn corporate dress code.

On the plus side, Friday is jeans day during the summer. [hearts]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 05:32      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever I happen to pull out of the basket of laundry that's waiting to be folded and put away. Today it's jeans and a polo shirt.

Yay for no dress code.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 09:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeans and a t-shirt. They don't pay me to look pretty.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 12:59      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I wore black slacks and a black polo. I've got the next four days off for training, comes with mileage and per-diem plus they're springing for a hotel room. I'm going to sleep on my little sister's couch and pocket the hotel money.

After this weekend I'll be wearing a lab coat and safety glasses to work- I get to teach my own chemistry lab over the summer semester and possibly through next year!!! Power!!

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture