homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Look, its the Grammer Police again!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Look, its the Grammer Police again!
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 17:11      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But have no fear, their only here to help you're posts look there best!

Courtesy of David Pogue's NY Times blog, a link to a grammar cheat-sheet: http://vtbsd.net/english/

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 17:38      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a word-gasm.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 03:11      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you missed an apostrophe there!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 11, 2007 01:10      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or . .
Justify your poor spelling with some of these:

http://www.econsultant.com/sniglets

I rather like Zyxnoid at the moment but there are lots of good words in there.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 09:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humourously, I just finished reading some kid's rant online where he bitched about e-mail etiquette, and bad spelling and grammar. And guess what? It was full of bad spelling and grammar.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 10:03      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As part of my parental oversight duties, I've persued a few online conversations my older clublet has had with her friends. I honestly don't understand how they can communicate. Fragmented sentences, CAPS, no punctuation, incomplete thoughts, and liberal sprinklings of "fsck" equivalents. Geez, when I was a kid you got the evil eye for saying "dang". I feel lock a crotchety old geezer for saying it, but what the heck has happened to our sense of decent language usage? Thankfully, my clublet uses better online grammar sk1llz than her friends. So far.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 11, 2007 16:06      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a fab link-if only I had the courage to send it to people who really need it!

I think the UK is much worse than the US when it comes to improper use of apostrophes. Pretty much any word that has an 's' on the end gets one-especially on restaurant signs(i.e., egg's and bacon). Drives me batty!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 16:32      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:

Courtesy of David Pogue's NY Times blog, a link to a grammar cheat-sheet: http://vtbsd.net/english/

The page on "read-bumps" is pretty good, even if the name they made up is a bit cheesy.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 05:32      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you liked the sniglets then you will also enjoy the classic The Meaning of Liff

Both Liff and the later expanded version "The Deeper Meaning of Liff" are (as far as I am aware) still available...

Oh and on the subject of apostrophes there is always the classic Bob the Angry Flower

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 12, 2007 05:47      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being myself the second best student in spelling in my country, is intolerable to me to work with someone else who is not capable to handle the vocabulary of the topic we're studying, and get mad when somebody puts a c instead of a s, or any kind of mistake.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 15:44      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had supervisors..... supervisors that didn't know when to use a comma or a period in their memos.

Oh well, communication isn't what they were being paid for.

On the bright side, I am a recovering Grammar Poilceman so I no longer worry late at night about things like that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 20:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:

The page on "read-bumps" is pretty good, even if the name they made up is a bit cheesy.
Oh hell yes! That perfectly sums up just about every rant that's been launched here against kiddies who argue that "you should deal with my bad spelling since you can read it." Bad spelling and grammar clearly hinders the reading/comprehension process, but sometimes it's hard to explain it as succinctly as the above link does. [Big Grin]

[thumbsup]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 21:19      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
< rainman >

supervisors who . . . who . . . deffl'y . . . deff'ly who . . . not that . . . that is things . . . people are who . . . deff'ly supervisors who . . .

< /rainman >

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture