homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Okay - I admit it ....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Okay - I admit it ....
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2007 17:00      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes use a Google search as a form of spell check, as I did with the word, "amygdala" in another thread here.

Below the Wikipedia listing was this blog which intrigued me enough to check it out. Funny?! You bet! Twisted and funny.

If you could use a smile, give it a shot.

[Wink] gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2007 18:07      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's sooooo eummmm. Tacky?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2007 19:43      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, if you throw "define:" in front of the word you're google-checking then you will be able to verify that the word you (in)correctly spelled means what you think, while you're at it. Sometimes I like to check up on myself [Smile]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1737 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2007 19:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
Wow, that's sooooo eummmm. Tacky?

Nah! this here is tacky.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2007 19:57      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, I do that ALL the time! I always manage to buy dictionaries that are missing tons of words. Maybe I should stop buying them at the dollar store...hmm...
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 05:50      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Y'know, if you throw "define:" in front of the word you're google-checking then you will be able to verify that the word you (in)correctly spelled means what you think, while you're at it. Sometimes I like to check up on myself [Smile]

And all this time I've been right-clicking on the word and selecing "look up in dictionary". Silly Mac user [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 06:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I use some academic connections to look on OED... silly word junkie... ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9329 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 08:47      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Google too to confirm words. Usually I do a search for Define <word here>. It usually puts a definition up.

My favorite recent search had to do with the plural noun: monkeys. I wasn't sure if it was like KEYS or like TURKIES. So I googled plural of monkey.

I hope I haven't burst a bubble or anything, since I write as a lifestyle choice (I make less than a McDonald's worker -- it's not a profession, yet). I rely heavily on my Dictionary and Thesaurus Widget, but when it fails? I Google it.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 10:43      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like looking things up in m-w.com (Merriam-Webster) because then you get the history and pronunciation and other related words and usage and etymology. (Lots of ands).
Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 10:59      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:

And all this time I've been right-clicking on the word and selecing "look up in dictionary". Silly Mac user [Big Grin]
Much of my posting is done from the dreaded XP box at work. (Shhh!) [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1737 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 18:18      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
lol, I do that ALL the time! I always manage to buy dictionaries that are missing tons of words. Maybe I should stop buying them at the dollar store...hmm...

One would wonder why they are a dollar before buying? there has to be something not right there [Razz]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 26, 2007 21:48      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking so much and deeply, and I've decided to come out...
My name is iWanToUseaMac and I use Google for spell checking even if I've got spell check on my browser.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 28, 2007 09:09      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you just hate it when "Corbomite" is not in your application's dictionary? That's why I need to use Google Spell Check.

(or do you already know how to spell it. [Razz] )

Posts: 8094 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 11:16      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Don't you just hate it when "Corbomite" is not in your application's dictionary? That's why I need to use Google Spell Check.

That's a brilliant maneuver! [Wink]
Posts: 5843 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 11:39      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Groan*

That wasn't a very enterprising pun GMx. [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2007 13:59      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the real McCoy! [Big Grin]

I'm gonna check out this Google feature, since I didn't know it existed.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 28, 2007 17:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the Beard of the Alternate Universe Spock!

just saw this...
gSpell is a service for Mac OS X that provides spelling suggestions from Google.

http://nspindel.com/gspell/

Posts: 8094 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 01:08      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

(or do you already know how to spell it. [Razz] )

I just read the most current Joy of Tech poll. So that's why you needed to spellcheck it. [crazy]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 16:29      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember the word, but I once put in a "correct" but alternate spelling of a word and Google "checked" it for me... let's be careful out there.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture