homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » 1,000-day cruise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1,000-day cruise
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2007 17:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070422/ap_on_fe_st/longest_cruise;_ylt=Ap34j4GrKeiFmTaQhcxFlgehOrgF

So this couple is going to sail around the world for 3.5 years without docking. It says they have medicine and stuff onboard. Does that include birth control? What happenes if it fails and they get pregnant? Will they give birth and raise the child on board before their time is up?

Or is this all moot and he's been snipped and/or confirmed to be shooting blanks?

(And for those of you who are going to argue, do you really think a man and his girlfriend are going to abstain when no one else is on board and the only things to read are books by Melville and Conrad and some non-fiction stuff?)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2007 18:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
So this couple is going to sail around the world for 3.5 years without docking...

Does that include birth control? [/QB]

Sounds like they won't be needing it.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2007 18:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's late and that's why I'm not getting it, but was that supposed to be a joke, TFD?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 22, 2007 18:39      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's 55 and she's 23...
They're sailing alone...
They're gonna make both...
If a baby slips, I think they'll be prepared

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2007 19:46      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing she's going to return to dry land after they get into their first squall around Cape Horn.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2007 19:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe it's late and that's why I'm not getting it, but was that supposed to be a joke, TFD?

"without docking" nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say-no-more...

Oh well, they can't all be comedy gems. [ohwell]

Two fence-posts walk into a bar...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 22, 2007 23:44      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

And? C'mon, don't leave us hanging like that . .

p.s. A lady walked into a bar and asked for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2007 01:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mistersaxon:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

And? C'mon, don't leave us hanging like that . .
I didn't actually have a punch-line for that, so I went a-googling for fencepost jokes, and came across this little gem...

quote:
A 70-year-old Texas Rancher got his hand caught in a gate while working cattle. He wrapped the hand in his bandana and drove his pickup to the doctor. While suturing the laceration, the doctor asked the old man how h thought George W. Bush was going in the White House.

The old Texan said, "Well, ya know, Bush is a 'Post Turtle.'"

Not knowing what the old man meant, the doctor asked what a Post Turtle was.

The old man looked at him and drawled, "When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a Post Turtle."

The old man saw a puzzled look on the doctor's face, so he continued to explain:

"You know he didn't get there by himself, he doesn't belong there, he can't get anything done while he's up there, and you just want to help the poor dumb bastard get down."

--------------------

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2007 02:21      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading the story and looking at the linked web sites, my fears for this girl are more centred on the sanity of the man she is locked up with until this is over. He reminds me overmuch of Donald Crowhurst.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2007 11:35      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(And for those of you who are going to argue, do you really think a man and his girlfriend are going to abstain when no one else is on board and the only things to read are books by Melville and Conrad and some non-fiction stuff?)

My guess is that after 3 weeks they won't be speaking to each other, let alone wanting to have sex.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2007 13:33      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
My guess is that after 3 weeks they won't be speaking to each other, let alone wanting to have sex.

Considering he's a hardcore sailor and this, in her own words, "will be my first time sailing ever — except for up and down the Hudson River." God, she's going to drive him nuts the first time they're in it serious and she's screaming and the boat's pitching and yawing and he's realizing maybe having a college-aged girl who is airily amused that she "hasn't gotten seasick -- so far" wasn't the cleverest of choices. He represented an adventure to her, her rebellious period. Something of note: her parents weren't there at the send off, nor did they get quoted. I'm guessing Ahmad's parents are ashamed that their unmarried daughter would do such a thing with a man her father's age.

Her philosophy on life is his, but parroted it with the naivete of someone who hasn't seen anything of life. He's wanting a partner, she's wanting a pleasure cruise.

Let's just say, his ACTUAL partner (the woman he divorced who sailed with him regularly) gave him a life raft and is probably hoping they don't have to use it.

I hope they don't either before the 55-year-old realizes that this girl who just knows every little thing about him and understands him completely has trouble understanding his barked orders in the middle of a mild storm. Twenty-three year old artists "in love" have a tendency to become what their lovers want them to be.

This will be a lesson of a lifetime for this girl -- may she get out of it alive so she can learn it.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2007 13:40      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm betting that screaming will be occurring right around the Cape Horn.

From the article "She may be tested when the yacht rounds South America's Cape Horn, an area infamous for waves as high as 100 feet, as well as icebergs.".

Yeah - tested [Big Grin]

Well, if this girl has what it takes, I'd be extremely amazed. I can't see a chance at all of this succeeding.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2007 13:50      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
I'm betting that screaming will be occurring right around the Cape Horn.

I bet it will be the first set of ten meter tall trough-to-swell rollers which will put her back on land. I think she sees it as a great big romantic outing together. It's possible that the article made her seem less prepared than she is for it. I suppose the journal will be most telling.

He should have taken her out on the water, in some real chop before he decided to do this.

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2007 14:02      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stuff here makes even the North Atlantic seem kinda tame.

You're probably right - the first time the deck gets swamped with a good tall wave or two she could be puking her guts out. A nice pleasure cruise to Spain might have been a better starting point [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2007 14:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
The stuff here makes even the North Atlantic seem kinda tame.

I can vouch for that, I was caught in a storm on land not far from Cape Horn and was literally airborne for several metres before my geek training kicked in ("I know, I'll reduce my cross-sectional area") and I curled up into a little ball and hugged the ground till it blew over.

You couldn't pay me enough to round the cape in a sailing boat, even with a nubile companion.

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2007 09:18      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool photo of wave action in the Bering Strait [Big Grin]

Ok - it's kinda on-topic [Wink]

--------------------

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 11 posted April 24, 2007 11:28      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooooooh . . . . [cry baby]

Making me queasy looking at it. So . . . Panama Canal, right?

--------------------

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2007 19:51      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked at the site and the video, and I actually want them to make it because if he can pilot the boat and make her into a decent sailor in top of it, he will have done two things I don't think anyone really expected.

Let's hope global warming doesn't send some bad stuff their way, and I am looking forward to seeing if they do it. Stuff that tries men's souls, and stuff.

--------------------

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 03:33      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8,583.375 of celibacy, beat that. It's not by choice either. It's by lack of choice.
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 09:20      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Maggs, I suspect my tally will not exceed half that number. However, I suggest that it's not so bad after the first two or three years. The body can addapt to absence of nookie.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 09:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maggs...did you mean to leave an opening for a really obvious joke in there? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 10:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in case anyone was wondering how they're doing after almost a month at sea:
http://1000daysatsea.blogspot.com/

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2007 14:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Just in case anyone was wondering how they're doing after almost a month at sea:
http://1000daysatsea.blogspot.com/

Hmmm, his blog entries are about boat repairs, hers are about cooking and doing the laundry.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture