homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » listgames (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: listgames
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 17:31      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm gonna do some spamming.

A few of you on IRC have already seen this, but from time to time recently I've been making a little website, just for fun. Here it is:

http://listgames.net/

Now, it has a couple of requirements:

• JavaScript (unlikely to change ever)
  • A modern, non-IE browser (IE support coming soon, hopefully. I have no idea why it messes up in IE so badly, but when I get back to college I'll fix it)

So: do you like it? It's certainly not complete yet, but I think it's now working well enough to show you guys.

And: can you think of any cool lists that would work well? Eventually I intend to get every list on there, so feel free to give me some obscure stuff that no one will know.

And: am I making any noobish mistakes? The design is going to stay along those lines; I'm happy with how that's going. But I bet there's some techy stuff I'm doing wrong.

The thing I'm finding most difficult is categorising them. As the number of lists increases, I'm gonna really have to have a look at navigation.

Anyway, have a look at it and write some replies if you have a moment.

---- Feel free to skip the rest of the post ----

Fine print: No, I didn't come up with the idea. I first saw something similar on an ironicsans post linked to from digg. But all the code and design is mine.

Technical details: Hosted with nearlyfreespeech.net. Valid XHTML Strict where possible. Usually. Lots of JavaScript and stuff. A bit of PHP, but it's not really dynamic. All written in TextMate on my MBP. No database. I guess that had better change at some point if I want this to be a big user-submitted thing. Anyone want to write some stuff for me?

Plans for the future (no particular order):
  • Better navigation
  • More lists
  • More visual stuff (things like adding items to a map as you find them. Technically possible right now, but I have yet to put the effort into actually preparing any maps)
  • IE support
  • Comments, flagging (inaccurate, out of date etc.)
  • Big community thing where people can add their own lists, edit them, rate other people's etc.
  • Make about half a billion by getting bought by Google

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 19:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bond. James Bond.

Actors and titles.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 05:28      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done. Thank you. [Smile]

Actors: http://listgames.net/bondactors
Films: http://listgames.net/bondfilms

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 14:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehthing to help with spelling would be great. I would have got all 50 states but I wasted too much time trying to figure out how to spell massechuesettes and Minnisota. I mean something that would finish the word if you type the first half correctly.

edit:

An "i give up" button would also be useful so that one does not have to wait for the time to run out to see which ones they are missing.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 14:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash: That's make for a fine way to get all the "New," "North," and "South" states, no? [Wink]

Good job max...and I'm happy to say I did a lot better on the states one than some others. 45/50 isn't /that/ bad. [Razz]

P.S. Woo...just found the planets one...that's a nice and easy one:
All eight planets found in seventeen seconds. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 15:49      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's fun [Big Grin]

How about "Bruce Campbell films" or Greek philosophers?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 10 posted April 14, 2007 15:51      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE this website! It's so fun!

I can't think of anything offhand, but if I could PM you a few lists, that would be awesome (once I think of things!)

I loved doing the zodiac one.

Oh! How about . . . the twenty-two cards of the Major Arcana of the Tarot!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 15:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got all eight planets in 13 seconds [Razz]

I spent a lot of time wrangling over the spelling of Connecticut, Mississippi, and Tennesee. And I forgot Michigan. Oops.

/me runs and hides from TheMoMan, CP, SpazGirl, Bibo, and MMKK

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 17:34      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. [Smile]

Ash: You can now type "give up" to give up. Your other suggestion is interesting, but will take some thinking about.

Jess: Done. [Smile] http://listgames.net/majorarcana

WS: Both of those sound a bit difficult to do, because a complete list would include so many items that no one would ever be able to do it. But they would suit the slightly different gameplay idea I had where the system has a pretty exhaustive list of things and the player has to enter a certain number. So... you have to enter any twenty Bruce Campbell films. When I get that working, I'll add those two lists.

Has no one had a go at the Serenity crew yet? [Wink]

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 17:49      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Thanks everyone. [Smile]

That "any x items" sounds awesome [Big Grin]

I'd do serenity, but honestly, I don't care for it so much [Smile] I'd need a wiki to help [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 17:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:

7/9... *sigh* (and I cheated and reloaded with 10s on the clock first time around...because I knew I could remember more)

I suck at remembering names and faces. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 19:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7/9. Couldn't get Kaylie's name spelled right, couldn't remember the name of Wash's wife.

God, that was a good movie.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 20:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only had a vague memory of the former's name, and also forgot um...the name of 'the companion.'

A suggestion though...it might not be a bad idea to leave out said names...to give others a fair challenge?

(Just a thought!)

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 21:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8/9, I also failed on The Warrior Woman's name, I kept putting in another female name that ends with the same last 2 letters.

Thank $DEITY for imdb

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 21:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside...having played it a bit more...

As I think I said on IRC awhile ago...I really like the layout/design of it.
It's very Web 2.0, and looks awfully like a Ruby on Rails page, even though it isn't. [Razz] It's the power of CSS and clean design...which also means that your code looks quite nice.

These comments have nothing to do with the fact that I'm trying to take a break from working on some utterly hideous code... [Wink]

--------------------

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 22:03      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really fun!

How bout an interface to make your own lists and then being able to embed the game into myspace - it would be really popular but no idea how you could make some cash off of it yet.

Very fun stuff

Hey how bout posting the fastest times for each event? maybe with user ip or maybe a sign it

(hey you could charge $5 a year for a sign in and fastest members are added to the hall of fame!)

non members still play for free but no glory.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2007 22:04      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and to all the weenies who don't wanna spell:
Go play runescape!

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2007 02:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got twelve of the 27 shakespearian plays but became frustrated when it wouldn't take Herny VIII, Richard II or Richard III. Only now do I realize that those are the "history" plays and not a tradgedy or comedy. I really like this though.

Took me forever to figure out that the title was "antony and cleopatra" and not "anthony and cleopatra". I guess that is just part of the game.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2007 06:16      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chesty: Eventually, people will definitely be able to make their own lists. But I won't be able to do that until I get some sort of database system working, and that might take me some time.

A 'mini' version that people could embed on MySpace is a great idea, though doing a bit of searching it looks like they're not inclined to let you use JavaScript, which would be annoying.

A global "high score" table would be pretty much impossible as far as I can see, because it's so easy to cheat; it'd be full of people who have completed everything in 0 seconds. I'll make it so that it keeps track of your own scores, though, and maybe sometime it'll let you keep a local high score table with people on your friends list or something.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 06:55      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update:

Ok, I got the "find a certain number from this exhaustive list" variant working. Try it out here:

One for WS: http://listgames.net/campbellfilms
And a different one: http://listgames.net/deppfilms

And I did a big geeky one: http://listgames.net/elements (the whole Periodic Table)

Apart from that, I did lots of exciting optimising and stuff. I also tried to make it work with IE, and I got it to at least display *something* (I had to close my script tags the old-fashioned way) but it was a little messed up so I put it back. Some day I'll get it working properly. Still to do: sort out navigation and get started on making it all nice and dynamic and user-editable. Some day...

Oh, and here's one I know you'll all love: http://listgames.net/pokemon (all four hundred and ninety-six of them!) [Razz]

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 07:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the elements one. It is tough. I think even if you knew them all you would have to be able to type fast to get them all in in 20 minutes. The pictuer really helps with remembering which elements are missing. As you can see I don't have the lanthanoids , actinoids or the latin numbers memorized.
 -

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 08:37      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's way better than I could do. I got stuck at about forty.

I've added an extra few minutes to the clock, and also added a few alternative spellings (Sulphur/Sulfur, Tungsten/Wolfram etc.).

I was thinking about having a few easier subgroups, but my chemistry knowledge isn't so good. Do these seem reasonable?

• Transition metals
  • Naturally occurring elements
  • Alkali metals

Or can anyone think of some better ones?

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 08:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be better to spend your time on a picture for the countries of the world. The internet is such a graphical iterface that this would really make your website apeal to more people. Not that it is not already cool but people are a visual species. Plus it makes the games easier.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 03:29            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Counties are already taken, I see ... Could have all the sections of the EM spectrum, or ("Elite" reminded me) all the combat statuses in the game Elite (from Harmless to Elite). There are all sorts of horribly evil and obscure things but, I mean, they'd still be less evil than some of the ones you've already chosen. One for Geek Culture: every Macintosh product range name [evil]

You could also insist that the Dr Who actors go in order, just to make it harder (I did get them all in order but the site didn't require that ... pity)

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 06:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be awesome to do a map of the US for the 50 states one, BTW. I'm a visual person, and I practically have to build an image of the map in my brain to work out all the names...and I have managed to get up to 45 in time on listgames. Those last 5 get me, though.

I'd say it would be even more clever if it was done with a Google Maps overlay of sorts, but I'm sure a plain jane one would suffice as well.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture