homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I can't believe no-one has commented on...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I can't believe no-one has commented on...
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 06:27      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... The Boat Race, given the fact we have a new rowing geek here [Smile] Anyways, I want to rant and rave about just how exciting it was for a rowing race, so incredibly close until right at the end. If you missed it, or have never watched a race before and want to want to see an example of why rowing is such a great sport, or even just want to see it again, ITV have the video here (though it is a DRM protected WMP file [Frown] )

Oh, and if you look on the right hand bank of the river about 1:08 in, you'll catch a brief sight of a bright yellow blob - that's me! [Smile]

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 08:27      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most exciting thing I've learned recently about rowing was the U.C. Irvine rowing team capsizing off of Newport Beach during a really windy day (no one died).

It's like when people don't care who won the Tour de France, but I'm glad that you found a wonderful sport to follow!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 10, 2007 14:32      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Bout time you flatlanders won it again - it wasn't much fun beating you all the time. I see you had to recruit a giant in order to do it though . .

My insiders thought that on paper you should have finished 4 - 5 lengths ahead so what went wrong in your opinion? Just the pundits believing themselves or some real problems?

(I should confess here that I didn't actually see it but I know some of the coaching team for Oxford, so heard about it. I was at Spring Harvest being theologically challenged)

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 18:13      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The video won't play, but on a side note I really would love to go over and watch this race in person at some point in my life. It's just like the famous race between Harvard and Yale, something I'd love to see.

(My first regatta is this Saturday! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 01:05      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What went wrong? I think the obvious problem was Oxford being faster than they should have been [Razz] The start didn't really go our way, and I think there was a little too much hyperbole from the press before the race as to how much faster we should have been. Anyway I don't mind - made for a far more interesting race this way [Smile]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 05:43      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, I always thought the boat race was a drinking game! [Big Grin]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture