homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Another nice guy died today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another nice guy died today
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 14:14      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got a phone call tonight telling us that someone had died. He was someone I have known for about 16 years, although we were not close in recent times. He was a fine musician and played the Highland Pipes at our wedding 8 years ago.

Why am I telling you all this? I don't know, maybe to work out how I feel about it - we haven't seen John for a few months and didn't know he was ill.

As a pagan, I am more able to accept the inevitability of death than my Victorian Christian forebears, who saw death as the ultimate taboo. But he was not much older than me, and that makes it wrong, somehow.

One thing, though - suddenly two recent threads take on a new relevance. boo's thread about making sure that you know that people are ok if you haven't heard from them for a while, and the other thread (apologies, but I have forgotten who originated it) about how you want to hear bad news. I still believe that short and sharp is best, shit news is shit news no matter how fancy the words. Mrs Grummash said to me.....

"I've got bad news.... Ann's been on the phone...Snelly died this afternoon... he had oesophagal cancer."

Anyway... sorry for blethering on, but one thought springs to mind (.. and Snelly hated maudlin sentimentality, so he would appreciate this...) with Snelly gone - who will play the pipes at his funeral???

[Frown]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 14:26      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about your friend. [Frown]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 14:45      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, better learn fast, Grummash. And if he's the kind of guy you make it sound, he probably wouldn't mind if the one who plays does it badly.

Ok, bad taste joking aside, you have my heartfelt condoleances.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 14:53      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo - bad taste jokes are entirely what Snelly would have expected...

..and your comment about him not minding someone playing badly - that is exactly right... he would have preferred people who try to play and get it wrong, rather than people who are just not interested in music.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 03:25      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really sorry to hear that, Grummash [Frown] . From what you say of him, he sounds like the kind of person whom it would enrich your life to know.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 05:48      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condolences. We having a virtual wake?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 05:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash _________________________________There really are no words that can soften the feelings that one has, when a good friend or loved one passes. You can only remember the good times. Your comment on who would play the pipes, reminded me of of when the care taker of a very rural church passed and as the paster drove up for the services he had to pause to remember that he had not made plans for someone else to open the doors.

Any way I have told the Mrs. MoMan that this is how I want my last ride:

http://www.tombstonehearse.com/home.htm

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5477 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 9 posted March 23, 2007 09:46      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I feel so sorry to hear that, but we should accept death as being free from the pain, problems and disorder we had been having in life, thinking that way may relieve you.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 13:02      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that Grummash. My condolences.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 14:27      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My condolences too Grummash. This reminds me of a good friend who died in 1996. [weep]

I want an Irish wake when I die. They can drink and make bawdy jokes and generally get plastered in my name.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 12:23      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want a Viking funeral. Put me out on a raft in the water and set me ablaze. My wife is not keen on the idea, but my daughter has promised to do it for me. I don't think, however, that she'll be able to pull it off.
Posts: 2867 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 13:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the kind thoughts, everyone.

TheMoMan - bike funerals are catching on in the UK, too....
like this...

Tominfla - experience has shown that for best results you should hold your wake before you die...you will enjoy it more [Wink]

--------------------

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 17:19      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've so sorry that you have lost your friend without getting to spend some last time together. It's like Bill's sudden death.

I think you should give the pipes a whirl. It sounds like he would approve. We'll get you Bagpipes for Dummies. [Smile]

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2007 11:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was John's funeral today, a Humanist ceremony at the Crematorium. Standing room only, and not much of that! It was about as good as it could be under the circumstances - but I couldn't face going to the wake.
Thanks again for your kind thoughts.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 29, 2007 12:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A toast to your friend Snelly. What better send off can someone ask for then standing room only at the funeral.

Grummash, I hope your memories of your friend keep you smiling for years and years. [Happytears]

Posts: 7829 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.