homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Wednesday One-derful (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wednesday One-derful
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 07:30      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been bad about not posting lately. I thought I'd post a short one instead of a long Friday Five to come back slowly.

The Wednesday One-derful question - what is your favourite goofy holiday/day?

Mine - Talk like a pirate day

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 07:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One day, I dream of a world in which all the men and women, boys and girls...gather around and hold hands, truly equal, regardless of race, sex, gender preferences, religion, ethnicity, political interests... and celebrate Sysadmin Appreciation Day. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9168 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 07:49      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite was Snaggy's idea of having a day for atheists. I think that would be pretty awesome.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 07:51      Profile for WinterSolstice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay Three Dead Trolls!

Sysadmin Song

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 09:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. Today.

Steak & BJ Day

Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 09:28      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a beautiful song. We really appreciate our IT guys at my college. (Sorry, girls, no girls working there right now.)

Atheist Day sounds kind of like a pride thing, which sounds kind of gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Also, it would be difficult to merchandise. Perhaps we could do one kind of like a Valentines Day and encourage everyone to to out and buy little gifts and cards for atheists and tell them how much we love them. I'd go for that. (Yup, I'm an atheist.) Then again, atheist floats could be kind of cool. Maybe some giant, hydrogen-filled balloons resembling Darwin and Carl Sagan, etc.

I'm not good at hollidays, so I'll not try to come up with one of my own.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 3 posted March 14, 2007 09:37      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willmas.

A made-up holiday, Willmas is a celebration of the day that is exactly one month before Will's birthday. It also happens to be on that heap of consumerist desideration also known as Christmas.

The story goes that Uncle Mordecai comes out of the toilet the night before with his red-nosed, boozing alligator (I think he's named Ralph) and he leaves presents under the tree. Mind you, these presents tend to be things you can't use and don't want. Often, they're used presents. Sometimes, they smell bad. Gift wrap is optional, but assume if it's gift wrapped it's not going to be pretty.

If you're really good, you get really nice toilet paper. If you're bad . . . well, Uncle Mordecai travels through the sewers. You figure it out.

The first year, wee had a tree decorated in everything, including a skull tree-topper from Halloween. The tree wore ski gloves. Possibly underpants, too. It's what you get when you have boys decorate the tree to celebrate a holiday which involves toilets.

So, that's my one weird holiday.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 09:37      Profile for WinterSolstice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of Atheist day floats [Big Grin]

We'd do this on... say, Christmas or something.

All the Christians/Muslims/Whatever can build their floats from faith, and we'll build ours with science.

The atheist ones would have fireworks, plasma, robots, techno, etc.
The other ones would just consist of some people in funny outfits describing how great their float is and telling people they are bad if they don't agree [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 14, 2007 09:39      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget, today is pi day!
Because of that I'm giving away the first 4 million digits of pi here. Warning: NSFDU (Not safe for dial up)

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 09:55      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Festivus.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 10:08      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
I like the idea of Atheist day floats [Big Grin]

We'd do this on... say, Christmas or something.

All the Christians/Muslims/Whatever can build their floats from faith, and we'll build ours with science.

The atheist ones would have fireworks, plasma, robots, techno, etc.
The other ones would just consist of some people in funny outfits describing how great their float is and telling people they are bad if they don't agree [Big Grin]

Muslim floats. On Christmas. [Geek]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 10:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
International Mole Day. [Geek]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7666 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 10:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taahk lyke a pyrate day

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10410 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 11:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm weird, I guess, because I don't really celebrate most of the normal holidays. I celebrate personal things like the day I got my kidney transplant and the day I lost my virginity.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6355 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 12:49      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I'm weird, I guess, because I don't really celebrate most of the normal holidays. I celebrate personal things like the day I got my kidney transplant and the day I lost my virginity.

You remember the date you lost your virginity?!! [Eek!]
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 12:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course. Barring sexual abuse or rape, why would anyone want to forget something so memorable?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 12:56      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Xanthine wrote:

International Mole Day.

Yes, we could all light candles beneath very large posters of Avagadro!

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 13:07      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course. Barring sexual abuse or rape, why would anyone want to forget something so memorable?

It's the date that surprises me. I think most of us remember the event (or some reasonable, age-enhanced facsimile) [Big Grin] but the date .. I have no idea.
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 13:15      Profile for WinterSolstice   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
quote:

It's the date that surprises me. I think most of us remember the event (or some reasonable, age-enhanced facsimile) [Big Grin] but the date .. I have no idea.
Yeah - I remember the year more or less, and the event pretty well. Date? No clue.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 13:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember trivial details fairly well. For example... on New Year's Eve of 1990, a friend and I were walking from a parking lot to the club where we intended to ring in the new year. As a joke, he pointed to a sign in a window and said "Remember that number, we may need it later." It was a bail bondsman's shop. 17 years later, I still remember the stupid number (523-6628).

I sort of feel sorry for you all not remembering little dates like that. It's rather fun to drag friends along on a private celebration that nobody else quite knows the reason for [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 13:41      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

August 26, 1987.

And I never had a kidney transplant.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 14 posted March 14, 2007 13:49      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Steen! I do admire the importance you give to your own life over the superfluous things of this society.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 13:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth Steen:
I sort of feel sorry for you all not remembering little dates like that. It's rather fun to drag friends along on a private celebration that nobody else quite knows the reason for:-D

Bah...I suck at dates like that. Instead, I'll regale someone in a tale of 'remember the time we did such & such with a Perl module?' [Wink]
(Actually, I'm not that cool...I write my Perl for me, by and large. I'm sure I can come up with an almost equivalent tale...just not right now, as my memory stinks. [Razz] )

P.S. However, your example is made a lot easier by falling on a well known day. [Wink] By that token, I still remember January 2, 2005 quite well. [Razz]

Oh, and hey, fs...remember PICT1457? [Big Grin]
[Granted, I just looked at it again a few weeks ago, and it happens to be one of my favorite pictures that I've ever taken...]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9168 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 14:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iWanToUseaMac wrote:
Wow Steen! I do admire the importance you give to your own life over the superfluous things of this society.

And why shouldn't I? The day I received a transplant and no longer had to go to suffer through dialysis every other day of my life is far more significant to me than Talk Like a Pirate day.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I am absolutely certain that nobody has ever died from not getting to Talk Like a Pirate. Thirty percent of the people on the kidney transplant list will die, on the other hand, because they don't get a transplant.

So yeah... I do consider my life more important than any holiday printed on the calendar. What of it?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 14:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just_Jess_B wrote:
August 26, 1987.

And I never had a kidney transplant.

[thumbsup] (on both counts)

dragonman97 wrote:
P.S. However, your example is made a lot easier by falling on a well known day. [Smile] By that token, I still remember January 2, 2005 quite well. [Razz]

But... do you celebrate it?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.