homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » GC Anniversaries (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: GC Anniversaries
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 22:00      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ZeSovietRussian and GameMaster have both just passed their five year anniversaries with GC!! 5 years! And they've lived to tell about it. [Big Grin]

Nice going, guys. [thumbsup]

(don't anyone ask how I happened to know this.)

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 22:08      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going rapidly on five years, myself. I thought it was four. x.x

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 22:19      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, so I see. You've grown up quite a bit since being here, as your pic in the album proves. [Smile]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 22:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy, you're stalking all of us, and clicking on the profiles of everyone who has posted recently.

QED. (Quite easily done! [Wink] )

(Hey math[s] students, quit giving me such evil stares...I do know what it really stands for. [Razz] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 22:47      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh great, my very own stalker. Should I be proud, scared, or perhaps proud and scared at the same time?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 10, 2007 01:07      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W o a h ... 5 years... [Eek!]

That made me realise - I was 16 when I joined this place... and now I'm 21, eesh! I remember posting about my A-Levels (and how much I hated having to read 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner') and now I have a degree!

Y'know what else? ... I was wittier back then, too [Razz]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 08:09      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That made me curious about when I joined. I joined in August of 2003. Like Skylar my life has sure changed. From footloose librarian to mom waiting to adopt to chasing a 3 year old.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 09:19      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the mention. There are a lot of board members that were arround when I joined that still post every now and then. It's been a fun ride. A big thankyou to Snaggy and the rest of the board for making this place so great. I dedicate this Oscar to... Oh, a little carried away there.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 09:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My other theory is that she looked at the join dates at the bottoms of posts. [Razz]

I remember when ZSR joined. He had a different name back then.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 09:38      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been here for about 18 months and things have sure changed for me...started at a new university, met my best friend ever; found out I have a 20 year old half sister, a brother-in-law and a nephew; got diagnosed with depression...

I just wonder what the next 18 months will hold.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 10:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That made me realise - I was 16 when I joined this place... and now I'm 21, eesh! I remember posting about my A-Levels (and how much I hated having to read 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner') and now I have a degree!

Y'know what else? ... I was wittier back then, too [Razz] [/QB]

....you'll always be my fav [hearts]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 10:10      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

Y'know what else? ... I was wittier back then, too [Razz]

....you'll always be my fav [hearts] [/QB]
And I'm no longer jailbait! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 10:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you have a younger sister?

[Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 12:29      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Oh great, my very own stalker. Should I be proud, scared, or perhaps proud and scared at the same time?

[Roll Eyes]

(I'll try to control myself)

quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Thanks for the mention. There are a lot of board members that were arround when I joined that still post every now and then. It's been a fun ride. A big thankyou to Snaggy and the rest of the board for making this place so great. I dedicate this Oscar to... Oh, a little carried away there.

[Big Grin]

Wow, there are some loyal GC ers here. Nice to see people have stuck around so long. And, as mentioned, seen so many life changes. [thumbsup]

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 13:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a fun seven years since I joined here.

I'm going to go sit in the corner and feel old now [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 14:21      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
It's been a fun seven years since I joined here.

I'm going to go sit in the corner and feel old now [Razz]

This is when you start talking about the good old days and how todays generation doesn't respect the old!!! [Smile]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 14:28      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
October 23, 2001, the day I joined. It's been so long ago, and so much has changed! You can read my old posts if you want to find out what... I'm too tired to bother [Razz]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 15:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7 wrote:
This is when you start talking about the good old days and how todays generation doesn't respect the old!!! [Smile]

Too many people confuse common courtesy with respect. Common courtesy should always be given. Respect, on the other hand, must be earned and is not a function of age.

That said, showing courtesy can be tricky too. What qualifies as courtesy is a moving target. Two people separated by only a few years will tend to have similar expectations for courtesy. The further apart the two are separated in age, the more likely that those expectations will not be met. The same thing happens with social groups, too (think about an emo and a goth having a discussion, then think about an emo and a perky blond cheerleader trying to have the same discussion. When you stop laughing, we'll continue).

I think the internet may reduce, if not eliminate, the differences in courtesy due to age (but not due to social grouping). Many of the people of my age who don't spend much time online seem to be somewhat out of touch to me. I find have to explain slang terms and meme related jokes when I'm talking with them. Their teenaged kids, however, get the jokes and understand the slang without any explanation. I connect with them better than I connect with their parents (which bothers me quite a lot, actually).

Well, that was about to turn into an essay. I blame you damn kids and your music [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 22:55      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol - I've been here a while, but I've come and gone depending on interest and who's talking [Big Grin]

I sometimes get fed up with the drama and go wander around. I tend to come back though, since the people here are the best I've dealt with (with some exceptions)

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 23:47      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I just passed 5 years myself this month. Though I mainly lurk.
*relurks*

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 23:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts from Jess & sky...wow!

Well, in the absence of posts, let me extend invites of coffee to any fine lurkers out there. [Smile]

Oh...and I won't even touch on my join date or any such stuff - if I do that, I might be dating myself, and that could be awfully discouraging to a certain someone else.

/me kicks back, rejoices that DST2007 didn't seemingly break anything of his in a big way, and lets iTunes roll...now on "Where I End And You Begin (The Sky Is Falling In)." Somehow that sort of transports me to Brooklyn...go figure.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 02:05      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I joined in July of 2003, so that makes this July my 4-year mark.

I was 14 when I joined and now I'm 18. I went from having an angelfire site to my own domain name (which I only use for storage stuff, but it's still a nice upgrade). I went from being fiercely opinionated to being apathetic, but in the meantime became much friendlier and much happier.

I've learned how to roll sushi, how to drive a car, how to write a paper in LaTeX, how to use a lypholyzer and how to play DDR with a book on my head.

I'd say that these changes have been for the better.

goo

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 07:53      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DDR with a book, eh. Something I'll have to make our teens do. [Smile] We got a booksale grant to buy a PS2 and DDR mats for teen programs here at the library.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 10:23      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five Years... my brain hurts a lot. [/Ziggy]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 11, 2007 10:43      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I have realised that the average age here is lower than I expected, I thought there were more people ages 30+, nice to see that the youth is taking over GC.
Ha ha ha [evil]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture