homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Free Songs from the South by Southwest Festival

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free Songs from the South by Southwest Festival
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 05, 2007 21:15      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go to this link you can download a 3.1 gig file with 739 MP3s of songs from artists performing at the South by Southwest Festival this month.

http://2007.sxsw.com/toolbox/

It's a legal download, you will need BitTorrent to download it.

It says I only have 12 days remaining for the download [Wink]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 08:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call me a boring old loser, but why the heck does one need 3.1 GB of music dumped out like that? Wouldn't it be a better use of bandwidth & time to pick the songs you think you'll like? Offer one of those little Flash player gizmos for preview. I recognize it gives more exposure, but that'll take a lot of time to download /and/ listen to.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 03:26      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The player is available from the same place.

http://2007.sxsw.com/toolbox/player

Listen to the stream or search for individual bands.

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 07:53      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only use of BitTorrent wasn't punishable by death at my college... [Frown]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 15:04      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People should know prior to spending lots of time downloading that these are song montages. Each MP3 plays about 30seconds of various songs in sequence. None of the ones that I have listened to thusfar contain a complete song.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 16:36      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My download completed yesterday, these are all full length songs.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 08:25      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? maybe I did something wrong with the dowload. I've only downloaded a bit torrent once before. For this one, I used Tomato Torrent. The download was about half over and several songs were in the completed folder. I listened to the first two files:

22-Pistepirkko-I_Knew.mp3
7_Shot_Screamers-Love_Always_Charlie.mp3

and they were montages. I listened to another one later in the list and it was a montage. I ended up stopping the download. Maybe I needed to wait until it was completely done? Would you mind listening to the above two and see what you get?

Thanks!

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 08:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RScottV:
Something went seriously wrong with your download. I just listened and they're both whole songs, not montages. Here's what I received for 7 Shot Screamers - Love Always Charlie

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 11, 2007 09:21      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you have not ended your download, files are incomplete, so you are listening to incomplete songs.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 10:20      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your help, I'll give it another try. It is always nice to have free music!
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 11, 2007 11:17      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention, if you have a good torrent client, you can manage which files you want to download. So they're not going to be 3.1 GB after all.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2009 21:11      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This year's SXSW was pretty good. Free music available via the player at www.sxsw.com

And here's an interesting article that says 86% of people would pay for legal P2P: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i4fc650632bff09ac01e14ea2a2051f6f

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 01:07      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get all your SXSW music needs for the last five years here...
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 03:40      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks, Bibo and Stibbons!

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture