homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I'm not quite sure how to react

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm not quite sure how to react
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 07:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the one hand, my gut instinct is to say that eliminating the news coverage on any topic is a bad thing... but on the other, does anyone really need to hear anything else about Paris Hilton?

Paris Hilton and news censorship

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 07:27      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not censorship. News organisations every day choose to go woth one story and not anouther. Sometimes to the detriment of people like the citizens of Rwanda. Choosing not to do stories on PH is smart, not censorship. Now if the government says that any news organisation that covers PH may not attend a presidential press conference. That is censorship.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 07:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the article:
editors asked our Puerto Rico bureau not to write about her

I'll grant that it's not censorship by the government but in what way is that not censorship, even if it's done with a please and a thank you and on such a worthless news item?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 10:33      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be considered censorship if they ignored something that wasn't really newsworthy to begin with?

Besides, it was, as they stated, an "experiment," which seems interesting enough to be worth trying, anyway.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 18:53      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paris Hilton is news?

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 11:45      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That might be the first time I support censorship. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture