homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Cover art contest! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cover art contest!
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 01, 2007 09:49      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - we're looking for 3 covers (possibly more) for the Dome Trilogy books that Just_Jess is writing.

She's nearly done with them, so now's the time for some better covers!

Here's the guidelines: We need original art covers submitted (usual legal crap to apply, we'll work that out with the winner).

We are offering $100 for each winning cover, plus credits in the books. Anyone interested either post links to your entry, or simply send us a PM or email.

All entries need to be in by the end of march, we'll make the final decision then and deal with the legal stuff and the payments.

I look forward to seeing them!

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2007 09:56      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the Dome Trilogy books about? It would kind of help to get an idea so I don't submit pictures of a bald guy.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2007 10:10      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol - sorry [Big Grin]

The first 4 chapters of book 1 and book 2 are up at http://www.dometrilogy.com.

(Yes there are still some typos and such... I need to upload the corrected copies)

Basically it's a sci-fi series about a dystopian future. If you'd like a reference read, you can get those, or discuss it at any length you like with Jess. We'd be happy to hook people up with the PDFs, too.

Here are the blurbs:

BENEATH A SUNLESS SKY

Book One of the Dome Trilogy

Ten years after child prodigy Remy had an accident which robbed her of a prestigious future, she walks the edge between life on Solaray-lit Level One and the gloom of the UnderDome, waiting for an opportunity to return to her place among the elite ruling class and put the nightmare of living as a sub-human behind her.

In the first book of the Dome Trilogy, Remy’s life spirals from her control; she is condemned to live her life in the most reviled pit in the Dome world, known to be populated by brutish beasts too inhuman to even live on the edge of society. When she arrives, however, she discovers that humanity does not belong only to the citizen, life on Level One is not what she had believed it to be, and a threat more grave than the UnderDome, itself, lurks just beyond its shadows.

NIGHTMARE SPECTERS

Book Two of the Dome Trilogy

“I’m going to destroy the Dome world.”

Fleeing her lifelong home with a Freedomer terrorist to an unknown future, Remy arrives in Prime Settlement to find her dream of being an exalted and adored leader has suddenly come true.

In the second novel of the Dome Trilogy, Remy is glorified as the long-awaited messianic leader of a devoutly religious populace and promises them the Dome above their heads as a homeland – a vow even their revered Messiah Ami was unable to fulfill. Vengeance turns to apprehension as Remy realizes that not everything is as simple as it seems and even the best intentions can produce devastating consequences.

SOLARAY DAWN

Book Three of the Dome Trilogy

Forced from the shadows and into the Solaray light . . .

On Level One, every citizen wants to see the face of the most envied woman in the Dome world; UnderDome, two factions prepare for a war which will determine control of Central Computer and humanity’s future.

In the third installment of the Dome Trilogy, Remy reluctantly re-enters the Dome as a citizen, carefully shielded from public view – until her husband disappears under questionable circumstances. Forced to dodge admirers and assassins, Remy realizes it is finally time to change the Dome world . . . but at what price?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 09:43      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 10:10      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump? What is this bump of which you speak?

--------------------

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 4 posted March 03, 2007 15:26      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say up the budget and have Nitrozac do your cover art.

Then you will be assured of having every geek here buy the series!

I'm sure you have some good books there, but if she does your art you know it will be 100% organic and that no animals were hurt in the making of your cover art.

Just a thought.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 15:39      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea - but somehow I kinda doubt she would want to do a cover for a book about sex and violence and human oppression. Besides - from the look of that auction - she's out of our price range.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 04, 2007 09:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea - but somehow I kinda doubt she would want to do a cover for a book about sex and violence and human oppression.

Wasn't that what AY2K was about? [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 09:22      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Good idea - but somehow I kinda doubt she would want to do a cover for a book about sex and violence and human oppression.

Wasn't that what AY2K was about? [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

When are we getting another AY2K?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 10:31      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only request is that people look at what's there or ask me for more information.

I never get emails from the site except from spammers and bookstores. It'd be nice. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 18:30      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
Ok - we're looking for 3 covers (possibly more) for the Dome Trilogy books that Just_Jess is writing.

She's nearly done with them, so now's the time for some better covers!

Here's the guidelines: We need original art covers submitted (usual legal crap to apply, we'll work that out with the winner).

We are offering $100 for each winning cover, plus credits in the books. Anyone interested either post links to your entry, or simply send us a PM or email.

All entries need to be in by the end of march, we'll make the final decision then and deal with the legal stuff and the payments.

I look forward to seeing them!

I´m in. I can do march... checking the site out now [Wink]

Anyway, if anyone wants to check out my previous stuff and all, theres links in my siggie.

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 18:08      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely like the style JulioC. Especially the graphic novel stuff.

--------------------

dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 05, 2007 19:05      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I've read the first 4 chapters of book 1, and I am officially hooked. When do we get an link to pre order on amazon again?

Regrettably it was my brother and not I who inherited all the artistic ability [Smile]

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 07:07      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do hope you dont mind, Ive printed out the chapters for easy reference.

Im gonna be travelling to Paraguay this weekend, wont have access to a pc.

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 14:04      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - we're approaching the mid-month point.

So far, I received very few submissions, so it's not looking too good [Frown]

Anyone? Anyone? Is a measly $100 not worth it?

--------------------

JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 15:10      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came back from Paraguai, yes I´m still alive and getting into it now.
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 15:40      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm definitely intending to enter. I have two more days till my deadline at college though. After the weekend, I should have plenty of free time to start work on it. $100 seems perfectly generous to me, though I guess increasing it might attract some more people.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 16:39      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten more days . . .

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 14:43      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - We have a winner!

The details have been ironed out, the image has been transmitted, and I'd like to announce that JulioC has been chosen.

He is exceptionally nice to work with, and the work he did is just awesome.

Here's the new first cover!
 -

The book will be published on April 15th, and it wouldn't have been possible to get this together without Geek Culture, so thank you guys so much!

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 15:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um, i cannot see it [Confused]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 15:06      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - here's the direct URL: http://www.dometrilogy.com/images/bassfrontcover_800.jpg

Let me know if it's still an issue - because I use that on the site. Want to make sure it's accessible [Smile]

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 15:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is a negatory, i cannot see it. I get.

"Die Grafik "http://www.dometrilogy.com/images/bassfrontcover_800.jpg" kann nicht angezeigt werden, weil sie Fehler enthält."

basically that grafic can not be shown because it contains an error. (I am running firefox, just checked explorer with no luck as well. )

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 16:25      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - I fixed it. Thanks - Safari had no issues at all, and it hadn't occurred to me to check a JPG with different browsers [Big Grin]

Don't know what was wrong, I just re-saved it in Photoshop. Seems to work in FF now.

Thanks!

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 09, 2007 10:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, Awesone cover.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 10, 2007 04:56      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kewl. [thumbsup]
Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture