homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Man attempting to swim the Amazon... all of it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Man attempting to swim the Amazon... all of it!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 25, 2007 13:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slovenian marathon swimmer Martin Strel is attempting to become the first person to swim the entire length of the Amazon.

(The River that is... remember when Amazon meant that? [Razz] )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/6389845.stm

A real risk is the toothpick fish.
They can enter the body by swimming up the penis and can only be removed by surgery.

YOW!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 14:36      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ew.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 14:46      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard about the swimmer and the fish. The Amazon is my favorite river (yes, I have a favorite river). He also needs to watch out for freshwater stingrays, piranha, and a whole gamut of other apex aquatic predators. Still, I think he'll be fine. The penis-dwelling bugger is called candiru. He'll also get to meet anaconda, pink dolphins, caiman and giant otters, lucky guy!

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 16:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy is trying to swim over 5,000 km because...
quote:
fromTFA:
I want to do something that no one else has ever done.

He doesn't need to do that, he could clean behind my sofa.

/coat

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 16:28      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do find it amusing that the guy has bodyguards with loaded guns on all sides of him ready to fire anything which gets close to him.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2007 00:51      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
They can enter the body by swimming up the penis and can only be removed by surgery.

My first thought was that he should dip it in wax to seal it...
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2007 17:23      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

My first thought was that he should dip it in wax to seal it...
okay you go do that while I call 911! (wow I can't even imagine doing something that stupid)

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2007 08:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7 ___________________ I know that they are supposed to prevent STD's but would not a Condominium do the same.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2007 09:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
stevenback7 ___________________ I know that they are supposed to prevent STD's but would not a Condominium do the same.

And all this time I thought condominiums were chick magnets. :\
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2007 18:13      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

911 prevents STD's ??? what are u trying to say ?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture