homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » aliens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: aliens
@[email protected]
Newbie Larva
Member # 7270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 13:35      Profile for @m@nduh6         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aliens... do you believe on them?

--------------------
heck yes

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 13:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd never turn them in because they're pretty great neighbors, but there are two or three illegals in the apartment building I live in.

... oh, wait... you're not talking about -that- kind.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 13:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider me a xenagnostic :)
IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 14:10      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The likelyhood that this is the only world on which sentient life might arrise is slim. The likelyhood that star-faring aliens would choose to come here is slimmer still. The likelyhood that star-faring, non-sentient aliens might have come here is somewhat better- what about viruses? Where do they fit on the phylogenetic tree of life?

Amino acids are known to form extraterrestrially (we've gathered some in space), and they are of the same chirality as terrestrial amino acids. It is, therefore, not unfounded to claim an extraterrestrial origin for all life on Earth. Occam's Razor would require some pretty compelling evidence to shift our focus skyward, though. Space amino acids DO increase the probability that, should we meet ETs, we'll be able to eat each other if we like.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 14:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@[email protected]___________________Damn you found me. This is the third rock from that yellow dwarf isn't it?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 14:47      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan, you didn't tell me you were using your solar wheelbarrow to charge a spacecraft!

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 15:39      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one of my neighbors is from another planet, but that's getting off topic.

It's been said that in an infinite number of worlds there is a probability that life has formed on another planet. Whether we've been visited by any, well, that could be possible.

All your base station are belong to us [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 16:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd estimate the probability of life on other planets at close to 1.

The probability of intelligent life, that's harder to say. There is an argument that Earth is very well placed in the galaxy, in an orbit that has kept us clear of nearby supernovae for an unusually long time. So, it may well be that other solar systems are periodically 'cleansed' of higher life forms by nearby supernovae, thus preventing intelligent life from evolving. But even with this factor, there are a lot of galaxies out there, it seems unlikely we're the only planet in the universe with intelligent life.

The probability of intelligent life visiting Earth, well that's in the realm of Star Trek physics, I choose not to speculate.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
@[email protected]
Newbie Larva
Member # 7270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 16:34      Profile for @m@nduh6         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agree with the last statement on the whole...there are definetly more solar systems than just here...i also think that when we die, we dont just go into heaven right away. this is why "heaven" lasts forever because there are so many places to go out of this world
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted February 18, 2007 16:38      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that the conditions for creating amino acids aren't as unusual as it seems, but the probability for these to create life seems microscopic, so when it comes to life in a gigantic universe maybe there's a probability, but if we're talking about life with intelligence, and more with the intelligence enough to communicate with us... I don't know but it's very, but very unlikely to happen.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 17:04      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now so far hasn't it been proven that certain planets in the universe are very similar to Earth (same size, shape, distance from sun, etc)?

And isn't right now the theory on how evolution got started that a astroid or some other object collided with Earth which contained arceabacteria which started the whole evolition trend?

So whats stopping another one of these magical astroids hitting one of those other special planets and creating a similar planet as Earth?

* sorry not big on the whole space thing and aliens

As for this intelligent life seeking out this planet is very likelly if they were similar to us, the chances of them finding us and even exsisting at the same time period as Home sapiens is very unlikely.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ScholasticSpastic_____________________Maybe that salt is or isn't the ones I mentioned.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 10:43      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I am nearly completely certain that there is "life" outside of our solar system. In fact, with billions of stars per galaxy and possibly billions of galaxies and possibly even multiple universes I'd say that the probability is so high as to be almost impossible that there isn't.

As for looking for intelligent life in space, well, I haven't given up looking here yet.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 11:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm eager to find out if there's life WITHIN our solar system. Maybe on Mars, but possibly on Europa as well. When you think about some of the horrible places we've found bacteria and archaea on Earth, the conditions on other planets and moons in this solar system don't seem so unlikely. That said, getting good clean data is going to be rough.

As far as intelligent life goes, yes, the chances are slim. But think of how many galaxies there are, and how many stars there are in those galaxies. When your sample is big enough, even the rarest events repeat. Whether we will ever detect said life is another issue. Whether we want their company (or they want ours) is another as well. But I find it easier to believe that intelligent life exists or existed around some other sun than to believe that the intelligent life on Earth is a lone aberration in the universe.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2007 16:02      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My view

Chances we are the only life in this galaxy tend to zero (or chances there is life elsewhere tend to 1)

Chances of other intelligent life are a bit harder to say but definitely well above zero - hell, chances of simple life, excluding Earth, just in the solar system may well be a good bit above zero.

Chances of another intelligent civillisation being close enough and inclined enough and able to interact with us atm.... pretty small - in fact tending to zero I guess - just too many variables. Let's face it in galactic terms a few tens of million years is a blink - but well long enough for a whole planet's worth of life to develop, flourish and be extingushed again.

If we actually had access to warp drives, or tachyon communications or something... well chances of a meeting might rise a bit but I still think the biggest problem is time not space...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture