homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Steve Jobsí Thoughts on Music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steve Jobsí Thoughts on Music
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 06, 2007 12:51      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, really interesting. Very good to know. Read it to the end. http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

I think it deserves a [Applause]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 14:00      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely [Applause]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 16:52            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm ... fascinating.

I wonder what the odds are of the music companies taking heed? Sadly, I'd put it at infinitesimal.

You only have to look at the insanity that is the new anti-piracy protection in Vista and Vista-compatible hardware, to realise that the media cartel are only interested in digging in harder and harder, hands on ears and screaming "Foul", in utter rejection of what consumers want.

This reminds me ... DJ Irish and DJ Nyman -- two Swedish DJs -- set up a site called Assorted Trance where they offered a growing collection of trance DJ sets to download for free. After some time, one of the labels whose releases had been included in the mixes, ordered the removal of every set containing any such release.

I imagine that they were angry at a loss of royalties, but they're still missing the point. For me personally, radio shows and DJ mixes are the best way to learn about new mixes. I've collected a lot of singles -- including numerous legal purchases -- from music that I've heard in livesets and mixes. Not just that, but I've gone on to explore more music from those artists.

By ordering the removal of those sets, I have been denied awareness of all the artists from that label and now won't gain the opportunity to hear, and then purchase, their work.

This was some time ago, so clearly Irish and Nyman weren't able to successfully make this point to the label. Thankfully, most independent labels seem to have no issue with livesets and DJ mixes at all, especially labels created by artists.

IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 19:17      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can kind of see what Jobs is hinting at when he says "The most liberal usage rights for legally downloaded music"... to me, that seemed a subtle message for the music industry that DRM is a disadvantage relative to piracy.

But maybe I'm reading too far into this...

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 19:30      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're reading it right Metasquares.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 19:51      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen a few people speculating that Apple Inc. and Apple Corps. are about to release the Beatlesí music DRM-free on iTunes. Ok, so it sounds unlikely. But I am interested to see if Apple actually start moving towards becoming a music publisher.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 20:51            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metasquares: sure, but the music industry may not heed what Steve said ;) It isn't like they've heeded the thousands of existing voices who've spoken out against DRM
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2007 06:02      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann: You're quite right that the RIAA (et. al.) haven't heard a single word said against DRM. However, I would think that a message against DRM headed by Apple Inc., maker of the ubiquitous iPod, the music-player-to-end-all-music-players, would have a bit more leverage (or at least I hope so) then good ol' Joe Consumer.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2007 14:35            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's hope so, eh?

That said, I have a different problem. The online MP3 stores for electronic music (like BeatPort, Audiojelly and eMusic) never seem to have anything I want. Muppets. I can have all the plain old MP3s I like, assuming it's what they sell, and not what I'm lookng for ... ;)

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 00:46      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it you know about bleep (http://www.bleep.com/).

Lots of obscure stuff, but also Aphex twin.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 15:57            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, no matches for any of Skeema, Future Engineers or Robert Manos (vocalist). One of my favourite artists is Seba, but try making any sense out of the results for that. He's in there, but if you find a tune, open it, and click "Seba" to see all his singles, you just get the search results up again. It's probably the worst site I've seen yet in that regard: every other one at least as a proper concept of works by a given artist!

I think I'd have to track down the individual sites of every single label, they don't seem to go in for the larger sites.

The industry really doesn't get it.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture