homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » RIAA Thugs deserve this (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: RIAA Thugs deserve this
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 17:45      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37337

I quit buying music because of all this garbage. I say, you go, kid.

This couldn't happen to a worse group of guys. In fact they are so rotten ...

Well, you get the picture.

Used to be you could invite a friend over to your house to listen to the latest tune you bought; anymore it seems like it is a crime.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 18:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic_____________________I used to work in campus radio, during my get ready to be drafted days. Back then the radio stations had to keep a log of all tunes played, label and air time, so that the artists could get paid (yeah right) If we took a promo copy to a gig (campus dance) or what ever it had to be accounted for also. Juke box owners were supposed to write down the play time of the records in their machines too. After my little paid trip to South East Asia, I found a legit copy of a studio contract for a musician from Michigan. He could only profit from music he played that had not been copyrighted by some studio. All other royalties came from the respective studios. Once it was put on tape in their studio they owned it, not him and they decided if it went onto vinal.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 11:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've stopped buying DVDs, CDs, and all other media licensed by the RIAA or MPAA. Those fucking scumbags can rot in hell. Between the RIAA suing little girls, dead people, old ladies who don't even own computers, and the MPAA claiming that they're going to stop releasing movies in Canada at release time because our government wont bend over backwards and make laws specifically for their scummy asses, despite movies continuing to make money hand over fist despite being steaming heaps of shit, they can all go fuck themselves.

Gently.

With a chainsaw.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 11:09      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I banned CD purchases also. If I really need to hear something, I visit my local library (hopefully they'll stay open). The RIAA have demonstrated to everyone that music is first and foremost about money and control. But of course we knew that... [Razz]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 12:51      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
I quit buying music because of all this garbage. I say, you go, kid.

Shit, CP, I quit buying CDs from RIAA-affiliated labels almost five years ago.

I hope this kid gives 'em hell. [Applause]

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 19:49      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
[/QB]

CDs?

Do they have grooves in them?

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 06:41      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:

CDs? Do they have grooves in them?[/QB]
They've been sitting in a pile in my closet for a long time; at this point, they probably do. [Razz]
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 10:20            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP: records work by having a spiral groove that the stylus sits in and follows. CDs work by having a spiral groove that ... um, a laser beam cannot sit in it. So we have all sorts of complex and broken-by-design hardware to try to get a laser to follow a spiral groove. Worse, CDs are constant linear velocity, so whereas a vinyl has much wasted space at the outer edges (or horrible quality in the middle depending on the grade of plastic used) you have to change the CD spindle speed constantly.

Sadly, it was done for a reason. I just wonder: would having separate tracks (like a disc) with precise known distance and RPM for each have been more sane?

DVDs dropped this idea: they're CAV. The thing is, hard drives are ZCAV but I've not heard of DVDs using ZCAV, suggesting that they waste a whole load of space is wasted. (How much, I don't know -- I posted a mathematical exercise on my site about it a long time ago (I suck at maths) but no-one's ever been able or willing to work it out.)

IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 10:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann__________________________A few years ago, here in America there was a cartoon strip called Calvin & Hoobs. A little boy and his stuffed Tiger, when an adult was around the tiger looked stuffed when the adults were gone the Tiger could talk.

On one day the little boys father asked how the out side of a record could have a higher velocity than the inside with out exploding?

If we know the arc distance needed at the inner circle then that distance could be devided into the outer track length, not degrees but arc length. I do not know the radius of either the inner or outer tracks. But now could we have made floppies better, by haveing a changing spindle speed.

In my old trade the new lathes that were programed with a surface speed, changed RPM as the tool moved in or out while facing a part.

Just by looking at the problem and a floppy I would hazard a guess that because the outer radius looks to be twice the inner and that we would have to calculate proportional parts that maybe half again more space.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 13:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it you meant Calvin and Hobbes? :)

But now could we have made floppies better, by haveing a changing spindle speed.

Was that a question? I mean, of course you could have given floppy discs a greater capacity, but it's complicated. That said, there was no requirement for diskette capacity, but a CD that plays for only 20-30 minutes, say, is going to be pretty useless, so they had to pull out the stops to get some space on there. It's still too short to copy a C90 cassette onto, which my dad wasn't amused by (tons of C90 cassettes). Now, of course, you'd copy the cassettes onto a hard drive.

I find it curious that we don't have audio DVDs and audio DVD players, but I suppose that's something that the portable MP3 player (and even the home MP3 player) makes mostly unnecessary.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 14:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
But now could we have made floppies better, by haveing a changing spindle speed.

Macintosh floppy drives were, as far as I know, always capable of both constant angular and constant linear velocity. They defaulted to CLV mode when you formatted a new disk, but would switch to CAV mode in order to read disks previously formatted under Windows/MS-DOS.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 14:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann & Steen_________________Tis not a day I don't learn something here.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 14:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a basic Mac disc was 800 k, so if this is true, it wasn't done to increase capacity. High density Mac discs are perfectly readable with a PC floppy controller (and they're still only about 1.4 MB), which is not true of Amiga discs which were awkward, but still CAV. If it is true, it must have been done to increase reliability by using smaller outer sectors, but longer inner sectors. First I've heard of it though.
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 16:52      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
List floppy discs as part of my Hall of Ancient Technology archive.

I still love my vinyl. [Applause]

Rather than going obsolete, they are vintage since they are still being used to a point. I have a professional turntable for mastering singles and albums. Some of the stuff you can't get on CD or iTunes. The only problem are the scratchy discs. Those are difficult.

I still buy CDs and download from iTunes. Sometimes I download from iTunes because the record industry encrypts the CD. Pesky, pesky...

And how about the fact that you can't make a copy of your store-bought DVD, legally? So if your disc goes bad, you're stuck.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 17:48            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a ... "friend" ... at school who one day decided to mock me by telling me my computer was so old, it used vinyl records instead of floppy discs.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 18:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it wouldn't be that hard to encode a digital signal onto vinyl if you had a way to press the vinyl...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 18:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can be done, of course, but that wasn't the point ;)
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 18:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you know me... if there's absolutely no point in doing something, I'm probably already trying to figure out how [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 03:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen__________________Actually the pressed vinyl is for mass sale, At some live concerts, if there is a true following someone can order a live cut, made that night. The machine has a carrage track over the platter that moves in relation to the loudness of the sound track, so that on playback the needle doesn't jump out of the groove. The last Live Cut I saw, was about ten times more expensive than a pressed record but it was made at the concert, not away at a factory.

Look up record lathe. I haven't searched yet but I know what one looks like.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 05:44      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtney Loves insider comments of what RIAA is like

When you look at the legal line on a CD, it says copyright 1976 Atlantic Records or copyright 1996 RCA Records. When you look at a book, though, it'll say something like copyright 1999 Susan Faludi, or David Foster Wallace. Authors own their books and license them to publishers. When the contract runs out, writers gets their books back. But record companies own our copyrights forever. The system's set up so almost nobody gets paid. The four major record corporations fund the RIAA. These companies are rich and obviously well-represented. Recording artists and musicians don't really have the money to compete. The 273,000 working musicians in America make about $30,000 a year. Only 15 percent of American Federation of Musicians members work steadily in music.

Iva taken to buying from Itunes permanently, just because Steve Jobs seemsto be the lone guy with leverage enogh to say "screw you, all songs at $1 or take your shit elsewhere

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 06:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JulioC_________________What has the mouse done. look at the house mickey built, and their copyrights, ABC ,and Disney films, toys and all,

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2007 05:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic_______________________Its not just the RIAA. There is a church in Indiannapolis that was planning a congregation Super Bowl Party (non alcoholic of course). This church has a large projection monitor that can take a video feed, they announced in the church that there was to be a party in the rec room of the church using this projection equipment. The NFL notified the paster and others of the church that use of a TV screen over 55" was agaisnt the law and that the NFL was going to get an injuntion agaisnt said party. First they throw the Ten Commandments out of government building and now they are going into churches and telling the pastors how they can behave.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249539,00.html

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2007 17:02      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should exercise caution wherever government and religion meet. I'd like to see the whole thing kept to a minimum. That means I support the absence of any religious writings in government buildings. But I also support any law that keeps the goverment out of religious buildings. Our founding fathers understood the inherent dangers involved in the entanglements of church and state because they had witnessed the mischeif that the Church of England could get into. I don't want our lawmakers to be allowed to tell me how or when or whether I should pray. Keeping the Ten Commandments out of government buildings and lawyers out of churches is important for maintaining freedom.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2007 17:07      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im with George Carlin on his opinion that we need an extra commandment- "Keep thy religion to thyself", espacially when its the government.

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2007 07:15      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
You know, it wouldn't be that hard to encode a digital signal onto vinyl if you had a way to press the vinyl...

Jeepers - don't you remember pulling the "record" out of a magazine, playing it, recording the squawks to an audio tape and then loading it into the TRS-80 Color Computer???

<Old geek voice> Those were the days </Old geek voice>

And those things were so "great" at having high density and no errors - but an hour fussing with the audio equipment beat several hours typing in source code in the magazine.

And yes - this was before I had a modem - probably before there was even a BBS that I could have called that wasn't long distance.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture