homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Mooninites! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mooninites!
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 17:24      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this look like a bomb to you?

-

Apparently the City of Boston thinks it does.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html

I am simultaneously amused and depressed.

goo

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 17:28      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Ya let people who threaten Tom Cruise and the Energizer Bunny go, then it all starts to snowball.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 19:00      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While in Boston, be sure to walk the freedom trail, visit Paul Revere's house, shop on Newbury Street, and run like hell from anything that looks suspiciously rectangular! Ack! Rectangles with lights!! They must have put the lights on for CAMOUFLAGE!!

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 19:02      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Take two, and call us in the morning."
"Yeah, call us! We'll be drunk!"

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 19:16      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carl must have moved to Boston.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 2 posted January 31, 2007 19:39      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Aqua Teen Hunger Force is da bomb but this is ridiculous...

America is crossing the line between cautiousness and paranoia (or they had already done so?)

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 19:54      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I hope the city sues Turner for it. I agree its kinda over the top with the reaction, but one, its giving the finger(ok ya I do it too, but like that...) and also, in dark spots, in critical infastructure places... ya. Stupid. Put it on signposts or on a billboard.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 20:36      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luke Skywalker:
Personally, I hope the city sues Turner for it. I agree its kinda over the top with the reaction, but one, its giving the finger(ok ya I do it too, but like that...) and also, in dark spots, in critical infastructure places... ya. Stupid. Put it on signposts or on a billboard.

But then again, nine other cities saw the Mooninites and feared their Quad Laser. The Boston Police Department was obviously foolish enough to interfere with the Quad Laser!
 -

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 01:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I flipped when I read this story on CNN. If you want to arrest anybody for scaring the public,(two people have been arrested), arrest the mayor and all those police that were propagating fear. How stupid do you have be to believe those things were bombs. According to one eye witness they had " a battery and wires" making it look real scary. We should throw every one in jail that has something with a battery and wires, these people are obviously scaring people. Watch out Boston, those new fangled magic horseless carriges are there to take over the world.

Boston, Yet aouther place I have lost all respect for. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Edit:

Plus, Turner Broadcasting appologized, but that wasn't good enough for the mayor, I guess Boston Mayor Thomas Menino wants Ted Turner himself to come to Boston and "toss his salad".

-

^^TERRORIST^^ Boston Mayor Thomas Menino was the terrorist on 31-1-07.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 07:21      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
LOLOLOL [Big Grin]

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 07:27      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Aqua teen attack!

This just in, they have a suspect.

Aqualad is wanted for questioning.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 09:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All__________________Remember that the government needs a Bogeyman, or else there would not be a need for all the money to fight the Bogeyman.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 10:43      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they were right to be cautious, cause if I were going to design a bomb that's what I'd make it look like. But they should be able to realise their mistake and laugh about it, instead of taking it all so seriously afterwards.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 10:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Hi All__________________Remember that the government needs a Bogeyman, or else there would not be a need for all the money to fight the Bogeyman.

Bingo.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 11:07      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good publicity for the show. I'm sure someone at Cartoon Network is saying that.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 12:01      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The media felt the need to edit a nasty pixilated finger from the original image. What a bunch of fucking idiots.

-

RUN!!!! LED TERRORIST ARE INVADING US!!!1!111<shift>!!!!

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 12:25      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The suspects Press conference

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 12:48      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
The suspects Press conference

"That is not a hair question." [Big Grin]

Apparently I've met one of them through a friend once, Sean, but I don't remember him. Either way, I want to give these guys some big high-fives, because that was fucking hilarious.

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 19:43      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo-Man,

It looks like you have a pretty good handle on things.

With events like this, I do the obvious, which in this case was google the words:

Boston

Republican

Mayor

Doing so neatly answered the question on why public services overreacted to the situation.

Today the judge in the case pointed out that in order to be convicted of creating a panic, the prosecutor willl actually have to prove these men wanted to create one.

It's not like these guys are named Panic or anything.

Colonel, uh, you know.

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 20:24      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may have been the most informative television news coverage that I've ever seen. CP, do avoid leaking your forum nick to the press. A General Melee might ensue.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 01:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just in. Toy retailer "Kids R US", (I cannot make a backwards R), Is accused of selling Hoax bombs to children.

-

There is no telling what the reprocussions of this could be.

<annecdote>
As I was discussing this with a coworker this morning I said that the two people arrested were charged with crimes that could put them in jail but I didn't think that was going to occur in the end.
My coworker told me that America is the land of possibilities. Anything is possible in america.

I just thought that was funny, sad and true.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 01:05      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of the signs have turned up on ebay, FWIW.

Edit: Linkage

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 09:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is definitely time to upgrade my brainwave-protecting helmet from aluminum foil to something much sturdier and more reliable.

Can anyone provide a link that gives plans for the helmet that Magneto wears?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 10:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlicguy___________________Is the helmet to keep yours in or keep the governments radiowaves out?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 10:19      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both! I hope.....

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture