homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I'm outta here (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm outta here
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 16:32      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come back safe man.

but never forget:
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 02:25      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made it here.

We landed into a dust storm then it started raining mud wich was fun.

I'm off to get some work done. Thaks for all the blessings and I'll be checking in later.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 10:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Jace_____________________Stay away from the Hospital men, I do not know know about the towelheads, but the slopes had a bounty on us.

Real nice [shake head]
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 18:29      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought I would post this. It's a picture form the going away/family time just before we hoped on the bus to leave.

I thought it was cool...

-

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 05:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capt' Vic_______________________I was trying to say to Jace don't do any thing that would cause a "Medic" to open his unit one. In Vietnam there was a bounty on Corps men and the unit ones. I forbade the Marines around me to ever call me Doc or Medic, call me by my first name. I was a good corpsman The bad ones the marines let get killed. I was in that sellect group, high bounty and only a hand gun for protection. Radio ops had it tough too.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 09:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Capt' Vic_______________________I was trying to say to Jace don't do any thing that would cause a "Medic" to open his unit one. In Vietnam there was a bounty on Corps men and the unit ones. I forbade the Marines around me to ever call me Doc or Medic, call me by my first name. I was a good corpsman The bad ones the marines let get killed. I was in that sellect group, high bounty and only a hand gun for protection. Radio ops had it tough too.

I think his issue was more (and rightfully so) the use of the terms 'towelheads' and 'slopes'.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 10:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap't Vic & DNF__________________________Was I being Politically correct? Depends where you are, when you hear what I have to say, Jace a member of this august forum is some one that I want to return with few or no scars and alive. So I said things that dehumanized his opponent, a very capable opponent. If Jace does not keep his opponent as dehumanized he may actually feel sympathy for said opponent. AT THAT POINT HE BECOMES A LIABILITY TO HIMSELF AND HIS UNIT. He has to keep his foes dehumanized. I want him to come home with out the aid of an other Corpsmen and with out a Purple Heart. That is one Medal I do not want him to earn. Yes I used dehumanizing words and I will stand behind there use.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 11:16      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cap't Vic & DNF__________________________Was I being Politically correct? Depends where you are, when you hear what I have to say, Jace a member of this august forum

Mo! This is January. August is not for another 6.1 months! (Approximately)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 11:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cap't Vic & DNF__________________________Was I being Politically correct? Depends where you are, when you hear what I have to say, Jace a member of this august forum is some one that I want to return with few or no scars and alive. So I said things that dehumanized his opponent, a very capable opponent. If Jace does not keep his opponent as dehumanized he may actually feel sympathy for said opponent. AT THAT POINT HE BECOMES A LIABILITY TO HIMSELF AND HIS UNIT. He has to keep his foes dehumanized. I want him to come home with out the aid of an other Corpsmen and with out a Purple Heart. That is one Medal I do not want him to earn. Yes I used dehumanizing words and I will stand behind there use.

I'd rather he failed miserably in injuring a single human being, and that those in his unit did the same.

Just as I'd hope that anyone out there fails miserably at harming anyone in his unit.

I realise that's the pacifist, impossible way, but I still don't think 'dehumanising' is a legitimate excuse for racism. The basic human instinct and will to live should be enough should he come under attack.

Also, it definitely doesn't apply to 'slopes' as the Vietnam war has been over for > 30 years, Korea for > 50. and WWII for > 60.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 11:46      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Also, it definitely doesn't apply to 'slopes' as the Vietnam war has been over for > 30 years, Korea for > 50. and WWII for > 60.

How 'bout 'Canucks'?

Can we still say, "Canucks"?

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 12:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Can we still say, "Canucks"?

You probably can, but you'll be saying it with a silly septic-tank accent. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 12:35      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Australians=
All undesirables sent to remote, arid land in a nasty sailboat.

[Wink]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 12:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I think his issue was more (and rightfully so) the use of the terms 'towelheads' and 'slopes'.

That is exactly what I was referring to. Mo, surely you know that we have a few 'towelheads' and 'slopes' as upstanding members here on GC and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like to be victimised by your vile, racist and hateful spewings.

Trying to mask your racism with that mil-speak shit doesn't wash either. Vietnam is not unlike Iraq; both illegal and unwinable wars. You can plug your nose and try to swallow without tasting but at the end of the day your government is sending people overseas to kill other people. That 'towel head' or 'slope' in your rifle sights probably has a family at home hoping and praying they will come home safe too. I hope that before the inevitable fall of the US as a super power they will for once learn from the fucking mistakes.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 14:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capn' Vic_____________________Do you know the word conscript. I do.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 14:51      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conscript. Hmmm. Seems to me if the citizens of any country thought any particular war was justified there wouldn't be the need for conscription but droves of volunteers.

Here are a couple big words.

Conscientious Objector (AKA Draft Dodger) or if you can't stomach that you could always vote (AKA Democracy) for a party who is less likely to wage war in a foreign land to line their own pockets, stimulate the economy or steal resources. But I digress.

/drift

My post was to call you out on your racist hatred, which you obviously have no intention of backing down on so, case closed.

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 16:04      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I tend to dislike the use of such terms as TheMoMan used, my experience is that it isn't necessarily an indicator of racism when used by vets. In many cases, the term isn't directed at the race in general, but the specifically at the ones with intent to harm fellow soldiers. Is it right? No. Are there mitigating circumstances, meaning that we shouldn't get too holier-than-thou? I believe so.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 20:08      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got in trouble for calling them Hadji's. We still do but for the most part we call them all Canadians.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 21:01      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
While I tend to dislike the use of such terms as TheMoMan used, my experience is that it isn't necessarily an indicator of racism when used by vets. In many cases, the term isn't directed at the race in general, but the specifically at the ones with intent to harm fellow soldiers. Is it right? No. Are there mitigating circumstances, meaning that we shouldn't get too holier-than-thou? I believe so.

Oh, I get it. So after you kill someone of a certain race, you then are allowed to subject anyone of that race to slurs based on their ethnicity. It is amazing why the rest of the world isn't chomping at the bit to get US style 'freedom and democracy' franchises set up in their countries *snerk* because from the outside it sounds great.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 22:01      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

Oh, I get it. So after you kill someone of a certain race, you then are allowed to subject anyone of that race to slurs based on their ethnicity. It is amazing why the rest of the world isn't chomping at the bit to get US style 'freedom and democracy' franchises set up in their countries *snerk* because from the outside it sounds great.
"Ones" refers to individuals, not races.

Interesting how your condemnation of hateful postings seems to apply to comments about everyone except US citizens.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 22:55      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Interesting how your condemnation of hateful postings seems to apply to comments about everyone except US citizens.

Are you channeling ASM? [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 03:24      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Um, there's a difference between condemning a country's leadership and the decisions they make, and the citizens at large. For example, I happen to think that the administration of both the US and Australia at present are run by a bunch of ass-clowns, but that doesn't make me a racist.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 09:13      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Um, there's a difference between condemning a country's leadership and the decisions they make, and the citizens at large. For example, I happen to think that the administration of both the US and Australia at present are run by a bunch of ass-clowns, but that doesn't make me a racist.
Agreed. However, it does beg the question when you respond to a couple of posts containing some inappropriate slurs by spouting venomous comments regarding his entire nation. I wouldn't necessarily call it racism, but I don't consider it anywhere close to a reasonable response, either. (looking at my above comment again this morning, it's not quite what I was trying to say, but I'm kind of stuck with it now, so the best I can do is try to explain my meaning)

--------------------

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 11:40      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Racial epithets are a coping mechanism and, like most other coping mechanisms, a sign of mental illness or imbalance. We see a lot of them in times of war or slavery or some other social imbalance because we feel the need to be the heros in our story. I could never kill another human being, but maybe I could shoot a crack-monkey in the head at close range without feeling so much remorse. (Crack-monkey is mine: it's a poly-ethnic slur applied to anyone that pisses me off. Beats the hell out of picking a real racial slur for demonstrative purposes.)

Returning soldiers must hold fast to their gross generalizations and demeaning stereotypes because, otherwise, they will be forced to come to terms with the fact that they've killed human beings. Now, I've never killed another human being myself, but it seems to me like there'd be a shit-load of emotional baggage attached to the act. Throughout history (and doubtless under some commanders during the Vietnam Mistake) conscientious objectors were not granted immunity- they were killed or placed in the direct line of fire. Under that kind of extreme duress I'm sure that most of us would find that we've acquired additional moral flexibility.

The only way to eliminate the tendency (and emotional necessity) for soldiers to demean the humans that they've killed is to put in power a collection of government representatives that will refrain from engaging in warfare. As long as we are forced to kill one another for a collection of crack-monkeys who've never served themselves, we will find ourselves confronted with soldiers who resort to pretending that some humans are less valuable than others.

My big issue arrises in U.S. news coverage. Why is it that we only hear about 100 people dying if one of them was a U.S. citizen? Our entire society would seem to be founded on the belief of differential human value. That will remain even after we've eliminated the ugly words.

The trouble with political correctness is that it serves to disguise our problems more often than it resolves them.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture