homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I'm going vegan everyone! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: I'm going vegan everyone!
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 08:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, no, but the phenomenon isn't limited to here.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 08:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
It's always amusing to see the smart-ass comments people make when someone announces they've made a major change in their diet. Is this the herd instinct coming out or are there darker forces at work?

Just wondering...

The thing is, I never heard any irritating, pushy rhetoric from you, or opposition to eating meat. It just isn't your taste, and you left it at that. People pushing ways of diet are almost as bad as people pushing religion.

If you want to eat in a given way, have at it folks - just don't try and tell me that I'm a big bad evil man. [Smile] [For that reason, anyway. [Wink] ]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 09:08      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A speaker came to my university once and said that humans weren't meant to eat meat because of our teeth. I don't think he knew his facts. I had watched a show on the Discovery Channel about our teeth, and how the pointy teeth are for ripping and the wisdom teeth for chewing tough foods. It stated since we don't eat hard meats anymore, our wisdom teeth are starting to disappear. Food is softer now, and soon maybe we'll have no teeth?

And then the evidence of large hunts (arrows, spears, cave paintings, etc.) makes me assume that meat was one of our main menu items. We almost seemed to have started out as mostly carnivore.

When it comes to ethics of killing animals, Discovery Channel is another great resource. I'm sure we've all seen animals rip their prey apart and start eating it while it's still alive. Now THAT'S good eatin! lol I love to picture animals getting a fair chance in the wild, with humans chasing them with their bare hands.

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 09:17      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The lion was chasing the gazelle because it wanted to give it a potato."

Ten points to anyone who can tell me where that (probably inaccurate) quote is from.

Anyway, good luck Nitrozac. [Smile]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 09:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All__________________________I remember back on my uncles farm, actually he ran it for my grand-mother, that the youngsters were taken away on the days that an animal was butchered. The children could not be present until they were at least eight. I still remember the first time I saw a Hog killed dressed and butchered, that may be one of the reasons I don't hunt.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 09:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
It's always amusing to see the smart-ass comments people make when someone announces they've made a major change in their diet. Is this the herd instinct coming out or are there darker forces at work?

Just wondering...

"the truly superior and logical diet of Veganism"

"try to imagine a dead calf on a pile of other dead calves in the manure heap"

It's a complete mystery why people respond with smartass comments when someone announces that they've become a vegan. [Roll Eyes]

Make your own choices, folks, but quit bashing each other and spreading FUD.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
pfmagic
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3534

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 09:40      Profile for pfmagic   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 6'2", about 220 lbs, and vegetarian. Obviously being vegetarian did not stunt my growth.
Other notable vegetarians include elephants, rhinos, buffalo and cows - none of which seem to have trouble with diet stunting their growth.
Calcium is not necessary for growth, contrary to what the $20 Billion per year dairy industry claims.
Protein is another myth - most people ingest too much protein. We do not need to eat protein - we need foods rich in amino acids so that our bodies can build protein. The proteins we eat are not in the form our bodies need, therefore they are broken down into amino acids that are then used to build what is needed.

Posts: 1 | From: Palo Alto | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 24, 2007 09:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen quoted Nitro...

"the truly superior and logical diet of Veganism"

I believe that was a Vulcan joke. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

"try to imagine a dead calf on a pile of other dead calves in the manure heap"

I lived in the country on a farm for most of my life, so I don't have to try very hard to imagine that one. Hence I went veggie at 15. [ohwell]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 10:00      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
The thing is, I never heard any irritating, pushy rhetoric from you, or opposition to eating meat. It just isn't your taste, and you left it at that. People pushing ways of diet are almost as bad as people pushing religion.

If you want to eat in a given way, have at it folks - just don't try and tell me that I'm a big bad evil man. [Smile] [For that reason, anyway. [Wink] ]

Agreed, I've run into more than a few vegetarians/vegans who are rather smug about their choice, and that can get annoying. Overall, I just tend to make the occasional wise-crack in good fun, though. [Wink]

"You see, your crazy friend never heard of 'The Food Chain.'"

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 24, 2007 10:11      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the support guys and gals! [Big Grin] I figured there'd be some smart-assy comments, but I can take 'em. I thought I'd announce my new committment to the vegan lifestyle because I just feel so darn good about it! I lost a pound already, and it's just been a few days! When I sit down to a meal I made from scratch, I feel great about it. For me, when I get vegan-preachy it's because I'm thinking that the person I'm talking with is intelligent and somewhat compassionate, that, they too may benefit from knowing what they're eating. It's like being a Mac fanatic, you get all excited and animated about it and find it hard to acknowledge that anyone would want to use Windows voluntarily.

One other point of Vegan-ness; I beleive that one cannot be truly aware and in the present unless they are vegan in diet and lifestyle, hence Bhuddism. The vegan diet is the epitomy of eating mindfully. It does wonders spritually, emotionally, and physically.

/me waves hands in the air in a circle; Vegans are one with the mind, body, spirit and planet. [Razz]

Next I'll be exploring yoga and tai chi for exercising veganly. [Big Grin]

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 10:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac_______________________Me thinks you have become a Tree Hugger, Good luck on your new life style as at times there will be some clowns putting down your personal choices, do as your gut tells you. I do eat more Veg, than most but I still like the meat and fish also. Every thing in moderation is the way I try to live unless I am around Ice cream or Bagels.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 10:29      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitro, if you're really dedicated to this, realize that lots of the vitamins, calcium, and protein in supplements are animal-derived. You may very well start suffering malnutrition, anemia, bone loss, muscle weakness, and many other diseases related to lack of calcium and animal protein.

Also, despite the fact that Maddox is a humor writer, he does make the occasional good point. Read up on it if you're veganizing for "ethical" reasons.

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 10:44      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the nagging feeling that this might be some form of practical joke...however, I still found a lot wrong with the commentary on veganism.

quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
I lost a pound already, and it's just been a few days!

How few is "a few?" That doesn't sound healthy.

quote:
For me, when I get vegan-preachy it's because I'm thinking that the person I'm talking with is intelligent and somewhat compassionate, that, they too may benefit from knowing what they're eating.
Carnivores know just as well as you do what we're eating, we just realize that the true way of nature is that prey must die so that predators might live to be strong.

quote:
One other point of Vegan-ness; I beleive that one cannot be truly aware and in the present unless they are vegan in diet and lifestyle, hence Bhuddism.
Nitro, I've always had a lot of respect for you, but that comment just sent most of it down the crapper. Do you really choose to be so bigoted as to judge another person as "unenlightened" because of what they choose to eat...when you didn't even manage to spell Buddhism properly? How does eating a burger place me out of sync with time and consciousness?

quote:
It does wonders spritually, emotionally, and physically.
I don't see how vitamin, calcium, and protein deprivation are going to make you feel any better about yourself. You're going to be sorely lacking in Vitamins D, B12, and A, as they're only naturally found in animal products like fish oil and beef liver. Your white blood cell count will drop due to lack of B12, leaving your immune system defenseless.

Medical professionals here in the US consider raising a child on a strict vegan diet willful child endangerment, as it disregards their basic nutritional needs in favor of the parents' political stance on eating meat. It's selfish, and more than one child has been whisked off by DSS because their doctor realized that soy wasn't cutting it and the child was near starvation. (My mom used to work for the DSS...oh, the stories!)

So, with all that in mind, what makes you think this is a dietary improvement? Are you just doing this until you lose weight? Are you aware that this might affect your ability to digest meat proteins for the rest of your life?

Don't let PETA influence your health by guilting you into thinking that cows are cute and shouldn't be slaughtered. Poke around in your mouth and feel for those sharp teeth near the front. There's a reason that those are there, and it isn't just to mash up tofu.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 24, 2007 10:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demos, that Maddox piece is the most ridiculous arguement to stay a meat eater I've ever read. [shake head]
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 10:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
It stated since we don't eat hard meats anymore, our wisdom teeth are starting to disappear.

Wow. And here I thought wisdom teeth were disappearing because dentists and oral surgeons were removing them. [Razz]

Demos: the nutrients argument can go around and around in circles. For starters, you can get plenty of vitamin A out of carrots...

ETA: the fastest HEALTHY rate of weightloss is 2 lb/week. If you're dropping faster, you need to rethink your approach.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 10:50      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Demos, that Maddox piece is the most ridiculous arguement to stay a meat eater I've ever read.

What part of "animals are going to die no matter what you eat" didn't you understand? Might as well respect them enough to eat 'em and use every part of them, rather than let them to rot without any dignity in a wheat field. [Roll Eyes]
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 11:25      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac, I would like to add to the support that is being thrown at your feet like fetid boquets of sacrificed calfs. That being said, I think all this hubbub about pro/con-veganism is a little overblown. I cannot, myself, feel too bad about dead animals because I'm a biology major and I must occasionally kill one. However, eating veg is the number one super-happy-best way to maximize the number of (overpopulated) humans fed per acre of land. I have restricted my diet to exclude nipple-bearing critters as they're just too much like us for me to eat them without remorse. Too poor and selfish to take the final step and stop eating flesh altogether.

All you meat-slurping happy folks should be glad that Nitrozac is eating less meat- reduce demand and the cost goes down. More cheap, plentiful meat for the rest of you. [crazy]

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 11:26      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I am by no means vegan or vegetarian, I do applaud your efforts Nitro. If you are having trouble giving up the cheese, there is a solution to the problem. My son is lactose intolerant and he uses the veggie cheese in the link. I have tried them all and I personally do not taste much of a difference. In fact the mozzeralla shreds are fantastic on pizza and since it's soy, you can have it on a vegan diet.

Edit: I found the Canadian portal of the producer of the soy cheese. They list all of the products they sell in Canada. http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands/canada.asp

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 11:27      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demos wrote: "What part of "animals are going to die no matter what you eat" didn't you understand? Might as well respect them enough to eat 'em and use every part of them, rather than let them to rot without any dignity in a wheat field. "

The part where one is organized slaughter on an enormous scale, and the other is primarily accidental at an entirely different magnitude.

*Of course* some kind of animal life is going to die or be displaced no matter what you eat. I chose to be a vegetarian because that choice is by far the more humane one. I didn't want to be a part of that intentional slaughter of higher level animals.

IMHO, the article is an example of the kind of black and white extreme thinking we see far too much of these days.

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 11:36      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can assure you, I'm not wasting away, I lost one pound in one week, with the vegan diet and increased exercise. That's healthy, I'd say, and I'm surprised by how much better I feel physically.

Demos, I think thou dost protest too much! [Wink]

I'm sorry you lost respect for me, due to a typo no less. Really, that's a little harsh don't you think? Also I'm of a philosophy where I feel the same about myself no matter what others opinion of me are. To explain further, my self esteem isn't dependant on others, it's dependant on how I feel about myself. That philosophy is what mental health professionals advocate, btw fyi.

On the topic of respecting animals; I believe it would be disrespectful of me to mindlessly eat meat and animal products based on the farming practises today. I think just leaving animals alone is the most respectful gesture I can make.

On the Maddox arguement; that is ridiculous. I think it's saying "eating meat is less cruel to animals than eating only grain, produce and soy." I'm not going to waste my time picking at this one, the levels of stupidity is quite amazing, IMHO. However if you agree with Maddox, then that's your right to feel that way, I'm not saying you are stupid, I'm saying the article is stupid, and what I think shouldn't bother you anyway.

On the poor, starving, vegan children out there; Ok, what vegan diet were the kids fed? Potato chips and soda? Then yeah, get those kids outta there! Otherwise, if they were kids being fed plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, organic possibly, and whole grains, soy, beans, flax, etc, then I find it quite horrifying that you live in a society where such loving and thoughtful parents would live in fear that their fascist government may take their children away from them and put them in foster care where they have a chance of being abused. OMG, I'd move out of that country if I had kids. FYI, I don't have kids and I'm not a kid, so I'm really not that concerned about that issue really.

Ok, that should clear things up. I hope. /me munches a celery stick. [Big Grin]

bassgoonist
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5044

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 11:58      Profile for bassgoonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I don't like about vegans are the idiots who stand on campus and hand fliers and try to force it down my throat. I really don't care how people live their lives, especially when it affects me in no way...
I just hate it when any religious or other group tries to force their views on me.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 12:03      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me suggests this thread move to the politics & religion forum [ohwell]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 12:05      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bassgoonist:
The only thing I don't like about vegans are the idiots who stand on campus and hand fliers and try to force it down my throat.

You should try retaliating. Hand out slabs of meat and force that down their throats. Bloody hippies. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 12:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen wrote:
Make your own choices, folks, but quit bashing each other and spreading FUD.

Damn... I was hoping everyone would notice that line. *sigh*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 12:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
On the poor, starving, vegan children out there; Ok, what vegan diet were the kids fed? Potato chips and soda?

So you've met my ex-flatmate then?

Actually, her diet consisted of tea, baked-beans and microwaved potatoes, her cats ate a more balanced diet (she bought ridiculously expensive 'vegan cat food').

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture