homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I'm going vegan everyone! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: I'm going vegan everyone!
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 23, 2007 15:38      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it! It's so cool! My eyes are open! It's a new lifestyle, one that will help with my weightloss efforts, I hope, and help the planet too. [Big Grin] /me munches a carrot.
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 2 posted January 23, 2007 15:52      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be eating meat until I'm 21 or my body stops growing.
I need protein and cacium and I'm not willing to eat two bowls of peanuts and soya for getting them.
Since vegans reject both milk and eggs, I'm not with them.
Eating animals is part of life cycle.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 16:06      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a lot of information out there about growing children on a vegan diet. It's not as hard as you might think. Soymilk comes fortified with B vitamins, calcium and vitamin D, so you don't have to drink cow's milk if you don't want. Try cutting out one type of meat at a time, like, pork for example. Do that for as long as it feels right, then cut out beef, etc, or whatever you can live without, and so on. That is, if you're interested in the truly superior and logical diet of Veganism.

To get protein you don't have to eat 2 bowls of peanuts and soya. Come on, get real! [Razz]

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 16:51      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you, Nitro. I respect your choice, even if I'm not making it myself. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 16:54      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought about doing it once or twice (in order to avoid all the nasty antibiotics and hormones they pump into animals these days). One problem - you have to be a very organized and disciplined individual - just getting the stuff can be tricky - depending where you live. (It wouldn't work around here, for example - "what - you're a vegan? No, I don't think we sell any Spock food here.")

One good thing about it - there's plenty of wonderful vegan curry recipes out there ! And they're actually quite nice.

Good luck!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 9 posted January 23, 2007 16:54      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I feel I'm being too rude. I've just entered college and I've seen how bothering some extremist people are.
I'm being extremist overreacting [Frown]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 17:16      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool stuff Nitrozac!

I went veggie about 12 years ago after I realised meat was triggering my migraine attacks, but due to my dietary requirements (ie pizza) I've not been able to go the whole not-hog and go vegan.

As long as you're getting the basic food requirements into your system, everything else is just vitamin supplements [Smile]

Are you able to buy Quorn and stuff like Sos-mix in Canada? You can do great vegetarian or vegan sausage rolls with Sos-mix.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 17:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
There is a lot of information out there about growing children on a vegan diet.

I stopped reading right there. [Wink] [Big Grin]

I guess you don't stop being a card after you've done the comic of the day. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 17:46      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as a son of a dairy farmer i have to strongly advice you to just become a vegaterian instead of a vegan. I myself understand why people go vegetarian but why go vegan ? like i get the whole cruelity against killing animals thing and i respect that but whats wrong with drinking milk or eating an egg?
Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 19:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a place for all of god's creatures.

Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 19:56      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
as a son of a dairy farmer i have to strongly advice you to just become a vegaterian instead of a vegan. I myself understand why people go vegetarian but why go vegan ? like i get the whole cruelity against killing animals thing and i respect that but whats wrong with drinking milk or eating an egg?

There are some logical arguments about veganism & the treatment of animals for non-meat animal products (although I am not vegan, and could never, ever give up cheese, not on the pain of death).

Do some research on Factory Farms and ethical food & the relative lifespan of mass-farm dairy cows vs. a smaller family farm. Not everyone can get their milk from responsible sources.

As the son of a dairy farmer consider the following hyperbolic scenario: if everyone didn't eat meat but still drank milk, what would happen to all the male cows that happened to be born? Sure, we'd need some for breeding future generations of cows, but not all of them. Would we just feed them and let them frolic happily out on the grass even though they were completely useless? Now let's extend that to chickens/eggs too...

The more extreme vegans also argue that we shouldn't be exploiting animals for their milk or cheese anyway, regardless of logistical issues. I'm not sure I'm in line with that so much. I think if an animal is healthy & happy it's OK to use their protein responsibly. Unfortunately a large chunk of animal products are coming from animals not healthy & happy. WeirdArms is trying to avoid bacon now that most of the pig farms in NSW have become factory farms with horrible conditions. It's a tough battle, but made easier by the fact that we just find it easier to cook vegetarian in general (but the CHEESE-- how can you give up the CHEESE??).

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 20:49      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those annoying vegans. [Razz]
Zwil: OMG! Sos-mix, no we don't have that! We do have a company out here that has a lot of soy meat products, Yves. They have pretty good stuff.
stevenback7: OMG! You're a son of a dairy man! What's wrong with drinking milk? I'll start there! Well, for me, I was in denial, as a semi-vegetarian, I didn't really know or want to know about the dairy industry.

Last week I saw a documentary on the documentary channel, about this farmer who documented the details of raising his own meat, and mind you, this wasn't even factory farming, it was a wholesome looking farm! I found the movie completely offensive and horrific, and disgusting and I decided then and there I don't want anything to do with anything that has to do with animal products whatsoever! That meant of course giving up fish, dairy and eggs. I slept on it, then did a little research on the internet the next morning, and was further horrified and disgusted, and that was it, it was like a switch, I just turned "off" to animal products.

Milk is a baddy, for one, there was a cow here in Canada that had Mad cow disease that was a milking cow. Apparently it's not transferrable to humans via the milk with the homogenizing, but still, would you put milk in your coffee if you knew for a fact it was pumped out of a cow with Mad Cow disease? N'uh uh. The next reason is like ARJ pointed out. Cows have to give birth to be milked, so yeah, what happens to the male cows? According to a girl I know who lived on the dairy farm, here in Vancouver Island, they shot all male calves on delivery, "there was a big pile of them". Ok, so, how many male cows die per year? Don't even let me start on the calves that go to veal farms! Then, the dear milking cows are slaughtered for hamburger after four years when they aren't as "productive". How's that for a thank you? "Thank you for all your work, you're going to be hamburger now! Is that ok?" [Razz] Then there's the antibiotics, the hormones, the saturated fat clogging the arteries. THE CHEESE! Hard to give up, I know, I am a big pizza fan, but I try to imagine a dead calf on a pile of other dead calves in the manure heap, when I'm tempted, and it's no problem to turn away from that, and of course, thinking of my weight loss efforts. Oh and my major complaint about milk.... Friggin' farms and their friggin' cows shitting in the friggin' drinking water!!!! My personal and precious drinking water is being poisoned, so much so, we've had to boil the water for 2 minutes to kill the shit bacteria in it. Like, come on! It's a basic human need to have clean water and because of livestock, it's threatened!

Ok, now, what's wrong with eating an egg? Ok, weightloss reason, it's high in saturated fat, bad for the arteries. Then, we have the chicken macerator. In egg production, including all eggs, free range, organic, etc. there lies the problem of what to do with the useless male of the species. I know! Why don't we just toss the little fluffballs into a giant machine that will slice them into bits! Great idea! OK! That's what they do. Free range egg production only promises the chickens won't always be in a cage, but they don't promise the chickens won't be crowded in a tiny area, pecking at each other, coughing their chicken flu germs on each other! Free range/organic egg farmers also kill the surplus males. Hopefully in a humane way, but there's no guarrantees.

So, why in the name of logic and human evolution would anyone want anything to do with that?! There are so many easy, convenient choices you can make. Spungo is right is a sense, you do most of your own cooking, but, that is the best thing to do for weightloss anyway! Cook at home, it's fun, it's healthy, it's happy. Try it! Try a vegan day, and see how it goes, I bet anyone can do it!

...I won't even start on the fishing industry! [devil wand]

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 21:09      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Nitro. Going vegan is not an easy task. Especially if you are like ARJ and love cheese or yogurts.

But one thing is for certain, you will become a hell of a chef. By this time next year, you will have 100 ways to cook chickpeas.

[Wink]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 23, 2007 21:31      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going on an all Vegan diet. I hear they're delicious barbecued. [evil]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 21:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And tofu...

Peanut butter, BTW, is not just a tasty treat. It is also an excellent protein source.

I'm an ova-lacto vegetarian. I don't like meat. I think it tastes nasty, and since I seem to get along just fine without it, I don't eat it. The main issue with any vegetarian diet isn't so much getting enough protein (that's easier to come by that you might think) but getting all your iron and B-vitamins in. This is especially true for us girls because we need more than the guys do. So far, I've been able to get away with not taking supplements, but I might be a freak like that. Leafy greens and whole grains are a good place to start. Eating a wide variety of things is also key. There's no vegetarian snake-oil, no matter what the health food stores might claim. I really think that a lot of the health benefits from a vegetarian diet have more to do with the fact that we veggies just pay more attention to what we eat than the omnivores do.

Cooking vegetarian and vegan meals isn't hard. Find a good recipe book. Talk to friends. A fair number of the meals I make are vegan, more by default than any sort of planning. Vegan entrees and sides are easy. Hell, just throwing a bunch of veggies in a pan and stir-frying is a vegan meal right there. Vegan desserts, OTOH, are a bit suspicious. Eating out will be tough. It's tough for me already, and I'm okay with milk and eggs. Being vegetarian can also be tough while traveling, especially in Europe for some reason. If you buy packaged food, read the ingredients very carefully. Glycerin and other animal products are EVERYWHERE.

Good luck.

Great, this post has made me start craving vegetables. Like I don't eat enough of those already. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 21:52      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done, Nitro [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

I went Veggie about five years ago and have never regretted it. I haven't managed the full leap to veganism, as I am too fond of cheese!

I wish you the best of luck with your new lifestyle. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 22:27      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
Last week I saw a documentary on the documentary channel, about this farmer who documented the details of raising his own meat, and mind you, this wasn't even factory farming, it was a wholesome looking farm! I found the movie completely offensive and horrific, and disgusting and I decided then and there I don't want anything to do with anything that has to do with animal products whatsoever! That meant of course giving up fish, dairy and eggs. I slept on it, then did a little research on the internet the next morning, and was further horrified and disgusted, and that was it, it was like a switch, I just turned "off" to animal products.

One of my earliest memories is of watching a pig get slaughtered (I couldn't have been more than 3), so it would be a little difficult to do the same to me. I do generally try to go with more humane alternatives, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2007 22:33      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve Jobs is vegan, therefore it must be good to be vegan!

...or is he pescaterian? Do fish count?

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 02:14      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's a pescetarian, sayeth the Wikipedia

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 03:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac________________________Whew I thought that you were going to sprout leaves or some thing like that.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 06:52      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
I went veggie about 12 years ago after I realised meat was triggering my migraine attacks, but due to my dietary requirements (ie pizza) I've not been able to go the whole not-hog and go vegan.

As long as you're getting the basic food requirements into your system, everything else is just vitamin supplements [Smile]

Your migraine attacks might have been caused by the synthetic preservatives in the pepperoni and other pizza meats. They're typically loaded with nasty stuff. If you want a real eye-opener, visit feingold.org. Synthetic coloring, flavoring, and preservatives are blamed for headaches, ADHD, and all sorts of other neurological problems. It would help if most of that stuff wasn't made from petroleum. The simplest way to avoid all that stuff is to shop at Whole Foods Market or equivalent. Feingold maintains a list of "clean" foods if you have to do things the hard way.

It's a good idea to take a multivitamin no matter what diet you follow. I take a multivitamin and flaxseed and fish body oil supplements (to get all three omega-3 fatty acids). Those seem to have the biggest effect.

Don't even get me started on what high-sugar diets do to people.

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 07:56      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About eggs: I have heard that they help lower the bad cholesterol level, but I might be wrong.

About multivitamins: although they may be good, beware, as sometimes, too much of a good thing may be bad (as in, too high a level of some - if not most - vitamins can trigger problems, too). So it may be better to only take the vitamins your diet doesn't supply in enough quantity.

Now, to our dear Nitrozac: if it makes you happy, go for it. I, for one, like too much the pleasures of eating (as in tasting, not eating just for the sake of it) to deprive myself of any category of food. I prefer physical activity as a mean to loose weight. (Now, if only I could find one I would really like, would be easy to do, while not disturb my downstair neighbour... err... [blush] maybe I should find myself a lover! [evil] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 08:21      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deleted by poster due to apparent smart-assery.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 08:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always amusing to see the smart-ass comments people make when someone announces they've made a major change in their diet. Is this the herd instinct coming out or are there darker forces at work?

Just wondering...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 08:47      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
It's always amusing to see the smart-ass comments people make when someone announces they've made a major change in their diet. Is this the herd instinct coming out or are there darker forces at work?

Just wondering...

Would you expect anything other than smart-ass comments from this crowd? [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture