homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » One of those days

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One of those days
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 18, 2007 00:03      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I left my stupidly hot office todayon my way home I decided a fan would be a good purchase.

Half way home in a taxi I discover a large wad of cash, looking to be somewhere around $2k which has been left behind by some passenger. (how careless!)

Doing the honest thing I point it out to the cabie.
On getting home I manage to forget to retreive my nice shiny new fan.

I miss out on a lot of money due to chronic honesty and am still boiling to death in the heat.

I hate days like this! [Frown]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 05:18      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha. pwn3d.
Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 05:28      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry! Thats horrible!
Well maybe tomorrow you will find a wad of 3k.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 2 posted January 18, 2007 05:30      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should'n have given the money to the cabie since it wasn't his . What do you think he's gonna do with it? He's not looking for the passenger who lost it... not if he weren't as honest as you were [Wink]

I would keep it, of course [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
Now you know my bitter side [devil wand]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 06:25      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, that just sucks! *Sends hugs*
Posts: 93 | From: Sweden | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 07:36      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Infinitesimal:

Mate, do you mean you forgot to buy one, or you left it in the taxi?

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 08:13      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm partially with iWan, giving it to the cab driver wasn't the best thing to do. You should have ask to go to the police to declare it, so if the rightful owner isn't found, you'd get to keep the cash (while still being honest). And if the owner is found, who knows, s/he may give you a reward. (Remember that story about the jeweller who forgot diamonds in the cab driving him to the airport, the driver managed to give it back to him, and got a nice jewel - a watch or a pendant - in return?)

As for your fan, just contact the taxi company. They probably have it around, or they'll track back the driver. (So in the case he is not as honest as you, you'll still be able to get your fan back.)

There are bad days in life, but there make us appreciate better the good ones. So write it off, relax*, then cheer up, maybe tomorrow will be a great one! (And go drink a beer - or other preferred beverage - to the insanities of life.)

* Very important. I noticed that when things are going wrong, pretending to make it right by doing other things only result in more wreckage as my bad temper have me make more mistakes.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 19:34      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
quote:
Originally posted by Infinitesimal:

Mate, do you mean you forgot to buy one, or you left it in the taxi?
Meaning I left it in the back of the Taxi.
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 19:38      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
I'm partially with iWan, giving it to the cab driver wasn't the best thing to do. You should have ask to go to the police to declare it, so if the rightful owner isn't found, you'd get to keep the cash (while still being honest).

Yeah that would of made sense, except being addled by the heat, I didnt consider it. I just accepted the taxi drivers opinion that he thought he knew which passenger. Which is entirely possible given that this city isnt that big, (80K population) and its not uncommon for people to have a particular cabbie they call up for transport.

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture