homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » A big hug and kiss from the King of the Jungle!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A big hug and kiss from the King of the Jungle!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 19:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African Lion Kisses, Hugs Woman Who Saved him...

http://www.local6.com/news/10726779/detail.html

Be sure to check out the video... what a big pussycat! [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 20:36      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing gives unconditional love better than an animal...

especially a feline [Cool]

hey uilleann... i'm pretty sure THAT cat provides a solid cuddling surface... give it a try... you might like it

--------------------
"I love humanity but I hate people." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Posts: 102 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 21:00            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw that's sweet. Though my brain is too crosswired to deal with that in reality.

The video won't play though, and Page Info in Firefox shows no EMBED elements at all, so I don't know what it's trying to do, except that it isn't [Confused]

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 21:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Aw that's sweet. Though my brain is too crosswired to deal with that in reality.

The video won't play though, and Page Info in Firefox shows no EMBED elements at all, so I don't know what it's trying to do, except that it isn't [Confused]

It's done via JS - note the null anchor when you hover over the link. Do you have NoScript, or something similar enabled?

Anyway...I did a little digging, and found the source:
code:
<embed id="videoplug"
src="http://www.local6.com/videofiles/10725938/playlist.asx?qs=t;speed=high;adtarget=inline"
filename="http://www.local6.com/videofiles/10725938/playlist.asx?qs=t;speed=high;adtarget=inline"
stretchtofit="1" type="application/x-mplayer2" autostart="1"
showcontrols="1" transparentstart="1" showstatusbar="0" showtracker="0"
height="100%" width="100%">

Just paste that into squarefree.com/htmledit and you're all set. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 21:47            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, it wasn't sensuous enough for me to dig around. I figured it was JS, but I don't use NoScript (NoPoint). I do have all of the "Advanced" (itself a complete misnomer since they're all rather broken) permissions in Firefox set to off but I don't see why this would fail. Maybe by the 22nd century we'll have a version of the Web where people stop using so many retarded tricks to deliver simple content. I am not sure if the real problem is that Webmasters are retarded, or that the Web is so underpowered for the job, that you cannot but use horrible tricks to force it to anything useful.

Personally, I'm perfectly happy with a page that consists of literally this (valid) HTML:

code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
<title>Teh Video</title>
<a href="teh_video.mov">Teh video</a>

How can you go wrong with that, eh? [Smile]

What bothers me more is that Mozilla refuse to allow the visitor to own the Web. JavaScript is still allowed to ban window resize. I disallow resizing from scripts as it messes up my tabbed window, but some sites open a pop-up that resizes the window after the page opens, so now Firefox allows JavaScript to ban me from resizing the window that I've banned from automatically sizing.

Mozilla refuses to let me keep the menu bar open on all windows -- JavaScript wins out there, too, although they've relented enough to offer a watered down toolbar.

None of this is a problem in iCab, where YOU are in charge, and you are given control of the way the Web is accessed. But Mozilla are either dumb, or have their backs bent and being whipped mercilessly by the Big Content Providers to allow them to hobble the browser, even though the user loses out.

Just got to wait for iCab 3 to mature and become fast and stable. For Windows, there is no decent browser in any shape or form :/

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 01:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those big males are only after one thing (protein).

He promises to love her forever, but he's lion.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 15:00      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That story is from Channel 6 news (WMKG) here in my town ("Loco 6 news"). I didn't try to watch any video because most of the news stations have wacky Windows Media or something like it that won't play on my Mac.

That big creature lionizes her.

Which reminds me when I was real young I got confused by the Eagles song Lyin' Eyes and thought they were singing "Honey you can't hide your lion eyes". [shake head]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 15:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows Media is supported on Macintosh.
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 16:29      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Q: Which animal has four legs and one hand?
A: A very happy lion.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 17:39      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Windows Media is supported on Macintosh.

Yes. My bad. I meant to say that some of the sites don't have it set up properly, hence the word "wacky".

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 09:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:

The variation of that one I've heard is, "what has 4 legs and an arm?"
"a happy pit bull"

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 10:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:

Having seen lions in the wild, trust me, they have no need of hands.
When they're "in the mood for love" lions are amazing, they'll bonk every 15 minutes for several days. I've seen big males literally trying to escape the amorous attentions of their females.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 17:09      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhm, I don't see how a severed, half-eaten hand in lion's mouth would have anything to do with love [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 18:35      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This story reminds me of a really cute poem:

Why Nobody Pets the Lion at the Zoo
by John Ciardi

The morning that the world began
The Lion growled a growl at Man

And I suspect the Lion might
(if he had been closer) have tried a bite.

I think that's as it ought to be
And not as it was taught to me.

I think the Lion has a right
To growl a growl and bite a bite.

And if the lion bothered Adam
He should have growled right back at'im

The way to treat a Lion right
Is growl for growl and bite for bite

True,the Lion is better fit
For biting than for being bit.

But if you look him in the eye
You'll find the Lion's rather shy.

He really wants someone to pet him
The trouble is :his teeth won't let him.

He has a heart of gold beneath
But the Lion just can't trust his teeth.

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 17, 2007 00:15      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so cute! [hearts]
Colombia is such a magical country, maybe I should go and live there... [crazy]
Anyway, there's a pic from El Tiempo, the most important newspaper in Colombia
 -
Get a room, you two!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 11 posted January 17, 2007 14:29      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I found out this was not the only time she kissed the lion.
Look at this from Yahoo! News:
 -
Something is going wrong here...

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 14:56      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could that be wrong? We'd all be in line to hug and kiss that big adorable animal! It's nice seeing something potentially deadly to let its guard down and get something nice in return. More people should follow the lion's example.

I think I marked too many provincial English exams today...

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 16:46            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iWanToUseaMac -- your second image won't load here. Tsk tsk, you hotlinking? (Which is bad practice at all times anyway)

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture