homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Women Dies after a "Hold your wee for a Wii" Radio Contest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women Dies after a "Hold your wee for a Wii" Radio Contest
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 2 posted January 13, 2007 20:48      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=23350

Preliminary autopsy findings concluded a Rancho Cordova woman who competed in a radio station water-drinking contest before she was found dead Friday showed signs consistant with water intoxication, Sacramento County Coroner's Office authorities said Saturday.

The results of a preliminary investigation released Saturday showed evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death" in the death of 28-year-old Jennifer Strange, Sacramento County assistant coroner Ed Smith said.

Smith said the autopsy found no traces of "life threatening medical conditions" that would have otherwise explained Strange's sudden death.

Strange, 28, was found dead inside her Astral Drive home in Rancho Cordova Friday afternoon. Her death came just hours after Strange participated in a radio station KDND 107.9 The End contest, testing contestants to drank as much water as they could without going to the bathroom.

The winner of the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest would take home a new Nintendo Wii video game system.

Strange's co-worker at Radiological Associates of Sacramento Laura Rios said Strange participated in the contest Friday morning, then was heading home when she reportedly called her supervisor in terrible pain.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," Rios said. "She was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

The supervisor called Strange's mother, who went to her daughter's home and discovered the body.

Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran confirmed Strange's death Friday, but said there were no immediate grounds to begin an investigation.

According to contest participants, 17 to 20 contestants took part in the competition in a room at KDND's Madison Avenue studios. The contest broadcast during The End's Morning Rave program began around 6:15 a.m. as contestants were each handed eight-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

Fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland said he met Strange at the event and had no idea of the potential danger of water poisoning. "They were small little half-pint bottle so we thought it was going to be easy," Ybarra said. "They told us if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health in risk."

But after 90 minutes of drinking, Ybarra decided he had had enough. "I tapped (out) after five (bottles)," Ybarra said. "My bladder couldn't handle it anymore."

Ybarra said after he quit, the remaining contestents were given even larger bottles to drink to stay in the competition. Strange was still in the contest when he opted out.

"I was talking to her and she was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for kids."

Ybarra said before the contest, he did not read a liability waiver form handed to him by station personnel before signing it. Ybarra said he was surprised by the physical toll he felt after the contest.

"I was kind of out of it yesterday. I was just drained. I was just going to the bathroom," Ybarra said. "I wasn't feeling well and I actually fell asleep. I woke up with a headache (Saturday) morning and then took a couple of aspirins."

Ybarra said he was unaware of any medical personnel on hand to monitor the contest.

In a brief written statement issued Saturday, Entercom Sacramento VP and market manager John Geary expressed sympathy for Strange's family.

"We were stunned when we heard the news," Geary said. "We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred."

"They should have had a physician there, some type of statement or as to this can kill you. You can die from this," Strange's friend and co-worker Tracy Beam said. "People have died from this before and here we are. We don't have our Jennifer."

"I believe everyone should just be fired and let go from that radio station," Beam said. "It should be the end of The End."

being in that situation would piss me off [Mad]
i'd be embarrassed if a story like this about me leaked out [Embarrassed]
i wonder if the radio show got a flood of people wanting to win this? [Confused]
i'm sure the family is dripping with anger [blush]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 21:06      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's amazing. I've heard that oral water intoxication can be a problem in infants or young children, but I've never heard of it happening with an adult. I wonder if it was the sheer volume of water consumed or if it was the lack of urination that caused the death?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 22:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
being in that situation would piss me off [Mad]
i'd be embarrassed if a story like this about me leaked out [Embarrassed]
i wonder if the radio show got a flood of people wanting to win this? [Confused]
i'm sure the family is dripping with anger [blush]

Urine fine punning form today ct.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 22:10      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Water intoxication is actually also quite common in athletes and the elderly, and is usually not fatal, you'll just show symptoms like the man interviewed. I'm quite surprised that the radio station did not call a doctor to make sure there was no danger to a stunt like this.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 22:59      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpazGirl:
Water intoxication is actually also quite common in athletes and the elderly, and is usually not fatal, you'll just show symptoms like the man interviewed. I'm quite surprised that the radio station did not call a doctor to make sure there was no danger to a stunt like this.

I've heard of people dying when rehydrating with only water and not replenishing their salt content when they're sweating, but I'm guessing the competition people wouldn't have been sweating that much, surely...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 01:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A radio contest to drink as much water without urinating? Now it seems one of the contestants couldn't meet the challange and the radio station has to clean up the mess.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 05:00      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like anything, it is possible to overdose on water as it disrupts the concentration of ions in your brain/muscles/etc. Luckily I've never seen it happen, but someone died in the past few years here of a water overdose. More information here on the big world brain.

What gets me is how easy it is to overdose on potatoes? The concentration of toxins (glycoalkaloids) in an average potato is such that 2kg will kill an average sized male adult. It's even worse if you just eat the skins, where the toxins are formed [Geek]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 08:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:

What gets me is how easy it is to overdose on potatoes? The concentration of toxins (glycoalkaloids) in an average potato is such that 2kg will kill an average sized male adult. It's even worse if you just eat the skins, where the toxins are formed [Geek]

In what time period? and are you speaking of two kilos of raw potatoe as I believe glycoalkaloids are destroyed with heat. If you are speaking of two kilos of raw potatoes I would argue to eat one raw potatoe is hard enough. Two kilos near impossible.

The top part of the plant is very poisonous (contains solinin) and a person could easily eat enough of it to kill themselves, but with all alkaloids in it, it is probably vbery bitter. (one of the reasons we can taste btter things so well.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 12:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an article in one of the local rags here a while back on the lethal dose of those high-caffeine drinks (red bull, jolt, etc). I disremember the details, but I remember thinking it's quite achievable.

[edit] Went looking for source, found I was merely spreading an urban myth. Serves me right for reading the Murdoch press.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 13:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
There was an article in one of the local rags here a while back on the lethal dose of those high-caffeine drinks (red bull, jolt, etc). I disremember the details, but I remember thinking it's quite achievable.

[edit] Went looking for source, found I was merely spreading an urban myth. Serves me right for reading the Murdoch press.

IIRC, Lethal dose of caffiene is determined by mass and is about 80 to 100 cups of coffee in less than an hour. That or five or six bottles of sky rocket.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 13:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lethal caffeine overdose is possible, but, unless you can get the pure stuff out of a lab somewhere, it's hard to do. Much harder than, say, an alcohol overdose.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 01:03      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

Not meaning to sound insensitive.
BUT
This does read like another case of natural selection in action.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 02:50      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
In what time period? and are you speaking of two kilos of raw potatoe as I believe glycoalkaloids are destroyed with heat. If you are speaking of two kilos of raw potatoes I would argue to eat one raw potatoe is hard enough. Two kilos near impossible.

Glycoalkoloids are heat stable, that's the issue with eating "green" potatoes in which they are more concentrated (which as you said taste bitter due to a-solanine). Glycoalkaloids can be toxic at doses as low as 1g/kg body weight, but are more likely to cause gastrointestinal tract irritation, drowsiness and neurological disturbances before reaching that point.

EDIT: Reading wikipedia, it appears solanine can be destroyed by cooking at above 170degC. So while boiled potatoes are still toxic (and microwaving only partially so), deep fried potatoes are good for you! (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it)

quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
A lethal caffeine overdose is possible, but, unless you can get the pure stuff out of a lab somewhere, it's hard to do. Much harder than, say, an alcohol overdose.

One of my friends dealt with a couple of caffeine overdoses at a nightclub recently, where a couple of guys who didn't normally drink anything caffeinated went overboard on JD-and-coke. Nowhere near death (they were still just about able to walk) but still requiring a trip in one of those white taxis with blue flashing lights... [shake head]
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 04:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since we are on the topic and I am doing some Lit searches already today I dug up a few bits of more credible information on the toxicity of potatoes.

A case of food poisoning caused by glucoalkaloids in potatoes. Yasunaga, Megumi; Mori, Kaori; Nishioka, Chiduru; Yamasita, Miyoko. Kagawa Prefectural Research Institute for Environmental Sciences and Public Health, Japan. Kagawa-ken Kankyo Hoken Kenkyu Senta Shoho (2005), 4 102-104. Publisher: Kagawa-ken Kankyo Hoken Kenkyu Senta,

Abstract

Immature potatoes of cv. Danshaku (20-110 g tuber wt.) with green skin, which caused a poisoning accident in 2004 in Kagawa Prefect., Japan, were analyzed for a-solanine and a-chaconine by HPLC. Raw and boiled immature potatoes contained 770 and 1070 mg glycoalkaloids/kg, resp., in the flesh, whereas raw mature potatoes contained only 20 mg glycoalkaloids/kg in the flesh. Care must be taken, therefore, to eat immature potatoes to avoid a poisoning accident.

2. (this is interesting if notrelavent)
Removal of solanine from potatoes by using vinegar. Kim, Jae Hun; Lee, Byeong Cheol. (Nong Shim Co., Ltd., S. Korea). Repub. Korean Kongkae Taeho Kongbo (2001), No pp. given.

Abstract

Solanine is removed from potatoes by dipping the cut potatoes at 30-60° in vinegar contg. 0.3-1.0 vol.% acetic acid for 2-5 min prior to frying.

Effect of cooking on the contents of a-chaconine and a-solanine in potatoes. Takagi, Kayoko; Toyoda, Masatake; Fujiyama, Yuki; Saito, Yukio. Natl. Inst. Hyg. Sci., Tokyo, Japan. Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi (1990), 31(1), 67-73.

Abstract

a-Chaconine (I) and a-solanine (II) concns. in potatoes were 5.49-7.40 and 3.57-6.05%, resp. I and II decreased slightly on boiling for 15 in and decreased to 84.0-86.0% of the original amts. on microwave heating for 2 min. I and II were decreased slightly by frying at 170° for 5 min and decreased to 64.9 and 59.7% of the original amts., resp., by frying at 210° for 10 min. Frying at 150° for 5 min did not affect the I and II contents.

Behavior of solanine in potatoes with various preparation methods. Zobel, M.; Schilling, J. Deut. Akad. Wiss., Inst. Ernaehrung, Potsdam-Rehbruecke, Germany. Zeitschrift fuer Lebensmittel-Untersuchung und -Forschung (1964), 124(5), 327-33.

Abstract

Effects of peeling, quartering, and type of cooking on the residual solanine (I) content of potatoes are studied. Cooking in steam or water reduced I to 60-70% of the value in the raw material. With frying in oil 48% of the original I remained. 21 references.

Changes in glycoalkaloid and nitrate contents in potatoes during French fries processing. Rytel, Elzbieta; Golubowska, Grazyna; Lisinska, Grazyna; Peksa, Anna; Aniolowski, Karol. Department of Food Storage and Technology, Faculty of Food Science, Agricultural University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Pol. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture (2005), 85(5), 879-882. Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.,

Abstract

The purpose of this investigation was to det. the influence of various stages of French fries processing on the contents of glycoalkaloids and nitrates in potatoes. The material for the study comprised samples of 2 potato varieties, Santana and Innowator, collected from 9 stages of a French fries prodn. line. Based on the results of the research carried out, it was found that the processes applied during French fries prodn. had a significant influence on the decrease in glycoalkaloid (chaconine and solanine) and nitrate contents in both intermediate products and the final product in comparison with the raw material. The highest amts. of glycoalkaloids and nitrates were removed during peeling, blanching, and frying. In the processed potatoes the ratio of chaconine to solanine decreased. French fries ready for consumption contained only 3-8% of the glycoalkaloids and 5-6% of the nitrates found in the raw material.

So it seems that deep frying is the best way, but not the most healthy way, to destroy Solinine. I however cannot read the full texts to get numbers on just boiling the potatoes. (i only have subscriptions to mainly chromotagraphic publcations and not bioanalytics.)

Can anyone read the third article of the third abstract I posted?

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 04:34      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Athens account only lets me get to geological journals [Frown]
markhb
Mini Geek
Member # 156

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2007 11:54      Profile for markhb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of a bar we used to have in my town that had a weekly "Bladder Buster" night promotion, I think on Tuesday nights: draft beers were a quarter (US) until someone used the bathroom. Not "peed," mind you, but "used the bathroom." You can probably picture the resulting urinary carnage. I don't believe that the bar in question was able to get its liquor license renewed.

--------------------
- Mark
Macromedia Certified Advanced Coldfusion 5.0 Developer

Posts: 50 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
markhb
Mini Geek
Member # 156

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 05:02      Profile for markhb   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just in: 10 people involved have been fired from the radio station.

--------------------
- Mark
Macromedia Certified Advanced Coldfusion 5.0 Developer

Posts: 50 | From: Maine, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 05:25      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts on these people being fired.

1.) Are they being fired because thier judgement resulted in someones death?

If this is true I think it is very light punishment.

2.) If they are not being fired for thier poor judgement that resulted in death, what are they being fired for?

3.)I don't think it was just thier poor judgement but the poor judgment of the contestants as well. Is it all of a sudden wrong to exploit peoples greed for profit in america. That would put millions of people on the wrong side of the moral line in america.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 10:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My thoughts on these people being fired.

2.) If they are not being fired for thier poor judgement that resulted in death, what are they being fired for?

3.)I don't think it was just thier poor judgement but the poor judgment of the contestants as well. Is it all of a sudden wrong to exploit peoples greed for profit in america. That would put millions of people on the wrong side of the moral line in america.

You overestimate people.

They were fired because it's a good PR move on the part of the station.

The station doesn't, and won't ever care about that woman.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 13:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

But probably the only punishment their employer is able to administer.
They changed the law a while back, employers aren't allowed to horse-whip their employees any more. But don't worry, this being an American story, I'm sure we haven't heard the last of it. Her family, friends, ex-classmates, and people she met once at a bar will spend years in the courts trying to extract every last penny from the people involved, the radio station, and possibly Nintendo.

Sacking 10 people is quite unfair. Sure, sack the manager who authorised the competition, but it sounds to me like they sacked an entire department, most of whom would have been "just following orders".

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture