homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Donnie Darko, anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Donnie Darko, anyone?
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 16:42      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this to be a strange resemblance to the movie Donnie Darko.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/070112/K011208AU.html

Does this mean that the world will end in 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds?

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 19:43      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing I don't live along the flight route to my airport.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 17:04      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, at least she didn't get anything that might've reminded her of Con Air.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 20:34      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I named my jewelry shop after the dance club in Donnie Darko [Smile]

I still can't figure out the movie though. I should look up some interpretations, cuz I'm totally lost on that one (even though I've seen the movie a billion times).

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 08:41      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
I still can't figure out the movie though.

Think harder about time travel. It's really not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be. The director's explanation is on Wikipedia if you care to read up and understand.

(My mother can't figure it out for the life of her, either, despite my explaining it a dozen times. With diagrams. [Roll Eyes] )

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 10:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me Donnie Darko is a strong social determinant when you meet someone new - i.e., if they reply in the negatory when you ask them if they didn't completely love the movie, then you should just walk straight away... and slander them at every opportunity to any mutually-known third party.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 15:38      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just watched it the other night as part of our See all of IMDB's Top 250 Movies project. (I'd seen it before, maswan hadn't.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 05:30      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I watched it I was alone in my apartment at night with all the lights turned out. It was pretty creepy. But an excellent movie.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2007 21:48      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
I still can't figure out the movie though.

Think harder about time travel. It's really not as complicated as everyone makes it out to be. The director's explanation is on Wikipedia if you care to read up and understand.

(My mother can't figure it out for the life of her, either, despite my explaining it a dozen times. With diagrams. [Roll Eyes] )

Yeah...that just confuses me more. What on earth is a tangent universe, and how does it open and close?

This story can be interpreted in literally a million different ways, include stuff like:

- Donnie is really schizophrenic, and the whole movie is really a splitting of the mind in his alternate reality.

- Donnie has a 6th sense and can tell the future. He sees what will come and choses to let his girlfriend live by letting himself die. We know he lets himself die as he doesn't move from his bed a second time.

- Donnie is worried about dying alone. Before dying, Donnie gets flash "forwards" instead of flashbacks to deal with his problem. Donnie ends up dying happily after this, as he laughs before death comes.

- This movie is purely religious. Donnie is saved from sinning and going to Hell by being able to go back in time.

- The bunny is evil and is trying to get Donnie to sin and go to Hell.

- Frank is the real "superhero" and can travel through time. He does this to save his own life. If Donnie lives, Frank dies. Frank sends the plane motor through the portal to kill Donnie, but creates another universe for Donnie to live his life up to the event of Frank's death to give him adventures of being a hero himself. Donnie, in that one month, is able to find love, uncover the sex dungeon and pedofile, and connect with his friends, teachers and world. Etc.

- Grandma Death, knowing all about time travel, is the ultimate force behind the events. She decides who lives and dies. Donnie somehow manages to escape death, and Frank and Gretchen die instead, so she puts things back into place by turning back time.

Those are just a few ideas that pop into mind.

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture