homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Wednesday "one"derful - Resolutions (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wednesday "one"derful - Resolutions
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 13:54      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With New Years coming up, if you do resolutions share either one you will be making or a really successful resolution from the past.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 13:59      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
replace sex with exercise.

(if you don't already know, don't ask.)

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 14:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*snicker*

I have three resolutions this year:

1) continue one of my resolutions from last year (stop buying so much stuff/get rid of stuff I don't need without sending it to a landfill).

2) Rethink a few of the things I got rid of (okay, so maybe I do need a couch for guests to sit on after all... darned people won't just stand in the corner out of the way [Roll Eyes] )

3) move somewhere where I can have a dishwasher and not drive so far to work.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 14:25      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to lose 30 pounds this year. Really. I have to do it for myself.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 17:19      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To learn better work habits, stop procrastinating, and just generally kick ass on my new job.
Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 18:07      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine to pitch so I can seriously think about relocating. (I am a keeper, but come by it genetically.)
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 19:21      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
*snicker*

I have three resolutions this year:

1) continue one of my resolutions from last year (stop buying so much stuff/get rid of stuff I don't need without sending it to a landfill).

2) Rethink a few of the things I got rid of (okay, so maybe I do need a couch for guests to sit on after all... darned people won't just stand in the corner out of the way [Roll Eyes] )

3) move somewhere where I can have a dishwasher and not drive so far to work.

If you're not doing it already Steen, sounds like Freecycling might be a good option for you. Pass on the stuff you don't need to someone else so it doesn't end up in landfill, see if you can snag a 'guest' couch and use the local list to help look out for somewhere to move to.

There's info and links to local groups at www.freecycle.org

I've been on our local list for a while and it's great for relocating 'junk' (ie useful stuff that you've just not got space for anymore) to somewhere where it's appreciated and some of the stuff that's offered is great [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 22:16      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My resolution is to deprioritize research until I am permitted to study what I wish. See here for what I mean.

I've come to realize that freedom is a prerequisite to a fruitful and fulfilling intellectual life.

Only a perfectionist makes a resolution to work less [Smile]

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 05:33      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
To learn better work habits, stop procrastinating, and just generally kick ass on my new job.
New job? is this a change of direction, or just a new production?

My resolution is to stop smoking.... It's traditional.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 28, 2006 06:04      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My resolution is to take control of my own life into my own hands.

This means, telling my parents about my plans to skip out on a PhD, and go teach English in Japan for six months instead, and then, *gasp*... actually doing it!

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 06:25      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My resolutions are to

a) Start managing my finances. This includes adding all credit cards, bank accounts, loans, etc. to a piece of money management software...probably iBank.

b) Spend less time procrastinating and doing useless things on the Internet. Talking to friends online is great, chatting is great, even posting on forums is fine, but I spend far too much time doing other absolutely useless things...YouTube, CollegeHumor, FF's Stumbleupon plugin, etc.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 06:41      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
My resolution is to take control of my own life into my own hands.

This means, telling my parents about my plans to skip out on a PhD...

Can't say I'd blame you [Smile]
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted December 28, 2006 07:10      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Resolution? What is that?

Seriously, I don't really have any, but to go on with my life.

Sure I'd have to lose 50 pounds, but it can't be done safely in a year (losing 20 this year would be a more reasonable objective).

Sure I have to put some serious work on my project to complete my Master degree, but I need to find back my interest to it first. (The project isn't much what I wanted to in the first place, then I got stuck trying to read papers with lots of mathematical equations that are supposed to mean something but could as well be Ancient Egyptian as I can hardly decode them. I'm not too bad with "mathematics as a tool", but "mathematics as a language" is foreign to me.)

And then, there are so many things I want to do: continue my dance lessons, play DDR (I got the SuperNova version just before Christmas!) and other games, learn to play violin, start seriously practicing piano again, and read all those novels and comics/graphic novels/mangas worth reading... And adding a few more hours in a day is beyond my ability.

Maybe my resolution should be to take a long, serious look at my life and get some real goals into it. Having a safe (but somewhat boring) job with good money can be a real drag sometimes. Once used to some level of comfort, it's hard to put it into jeopardy for something you know may not turn out any better. Any one know of a good carreer for an inquisitive mind, paying good money with creative challenges while not too mundane? [Confused]

(Or just forget it. I've been feeling a bit down lately. There's a major change coming at my job: it could become better, or a lot worse. I guess the incertitude is just getting on my nerves. Plus I'm thinking about changing my Master's project to be closer to my actual job [computer-based training]; just that could solve a big snag, but at the same time, I feel it would be taking the easy way out. Stop fleeing my problems would be a good resolution too.)

Sorry to be so glum. Please continue beeing cheerful to help me get back up to my usual self. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 07:41      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Get myself into somewhat of a decent shape (if anybody thinks I'm in decent shape now, they definitely need to up their standards)
2. Save up another $10K for condo down payment
3. Buy condo if I somehow manage to accomplish #2

You know, the usual crap - big plans we forget about right after we make them.

PS: Oh, and I really need to stop being such an ass [Razz]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 08:03      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really do the resolution thing, but I started recently to make an effort to eat more macrobiotically, and I'm probably getting back into Aikido soon.
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 10:42      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:
New job? is this a change of direction, or just a new production?
New production, but I guess a slightly different direction for me since I'm wardrobe head... my first time setting up and supervising* a show from the very beginning. My friend and I are actually co-supervising and the show is absolutely enormous costume-wise. (A musical version of Legally Blonde; you can just imagine the outrageous sorority wear, dog clothes, and pink stuff in general.) Terrifying. [Big Grin] We'll be in San Francisco for 2 months... wish me luck!!!

*For the non-theatre-folks: I am not designing the costumes, just making sure that they are organized, maintained, and on the actors when they need to be. Sorry if that was obvious, but I don't want to give the impression that I am a big Broadway costume designer. [Geek]

EDIT: nothing wrong with a bit of shameless self-promotion, I guess! http://legallyblondethemusical.com/

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 13:28      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omigod! [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Break a leg Jessy and most of all enjoy.

Let us know when you come to open in London, that way I can try to get across to see the show.

Another one to add to my list to see:
The Producers
Spamalot
Legally Blonde

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 15:44      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see, this will be the first time I've ever really made a new year's resolution and expected to keep it. [Smile]

I have one resolution for 2K7: lose 15 lbs.

I should really lose more like 100 lbs. to reach a "healthy" weight for my height, but I want to set the bar low so I have *some* chance of actually making it.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 16:01      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Quoted from The Hacker's Diet
[...]I decided to approach weight loss as an engineering problem.

I studied the human body the way I'd tackle a misbehaving electronic circuit or computer program: develop a model of how it works, identify the controls that affect it, and finally adjust those controls to set things aright.[...]

That passage convinced me to not "go on a diet" but to "try a little experiment" and I've had good results.

Three years ago I lost 40 pounds and have kept it off... This year I've decided to get serious about losing that final 20.

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 16:54      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a bunch of things I'd like to do. I wouldn't necessarily call these resolutions, but here goes:

- get in shape. Not necessarily lose weight, but increase my upper-body muscle mass. When I was playing football I could put up a fair amount of weight, and I always thought I could do more; Since then my muscles have atrophied from lack of use.

- start coding my collision detection engine. I have the concepts planned out in my head, but I have trouble actually sitting down and typing the code.

- Keep learning science. A hobby of mine is to go to the Wikipedia and research various scientific topics and the stuff that's crosslinked to them. This way I've managed to grasp a basic understanding of quantum physics.

- Do my homework / make an effort at school.

- Be more outgoing towards the opposite sex. I've been holding myself back, and maybe I need to make myself available again so I don't get out of practice.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 17:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To make sure I get my anthrax orders in on time.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 17:52      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat more chocolate.

Drink more wine.

Dance more often.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 18:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"wear sunscreen"

[Big Grin]

oh yeah and be kind to my knees... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 20:13      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Any one know of a good carreer for an inquisitive mind, paying good money with creative challenges while not too mundane? [Confused]

Professorship, but it's not a decision to be made lightly, as you can see from my own experience.

Also, I would not recommend going into theory if you aren't fluent in Math. It is essentially the language spoken in the profession, so to speak [Smile]

Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 04:22      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to find out what I want to study.
I am already doing three semesters of law/MBA thingy and it's not really fulfulling me.

I want to save money to buy myself a decent D-SLR (thought of the Canon 5D). Now that I have a small job, I can do it.

I want to be more focused. Like, when I say "I'll start studying" I will and not actually try everything to find an excuse to not do it.

That's pretty much it. But I don't do resolutions ^^

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture