homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Wednesday "One"derful - baking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wednesday "One"derful - baking
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:13      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I begin the holiday baking tonight. Do you have a favourite holiday baked good? Again pick your holiday.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:17      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family loves my cranberry bread. I will be baking 10-15 loaves to keep them happy.

However I have two favourite cookies. I thought I could pick, but I can't. First are haystacks, which are an unbaked chocolate/butterscotch cookie made with chow mein noodles. I also like mincemeat pie cookies, but the recipe with the box of mincemeat, not the wet stuff from the jar. These are like mincemeat studded shortbread. mmmmmm

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:33      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very picky and plain in the cookie department. My favorite at this time of year are spritz. (I think my mother used to call them "butter cookies", as opposed to "sugar cookies".) And they have to be homemade, preferably by me.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:47      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother and I are getting to be Parkin Masters. We can now bake parkin that will burn your mouth, provide good stomach ballast and can also be used to make flood defences in an emergency.

Other than that, biscuits and we're re-learning the family toffee and fudge recipes.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:57      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grand-mother used to do wonderful bite-sized cranberry pies, served with whipped cream. (I think it's an aunt who now serve them, as my grand-mother is getting old.) Other than that, a family favorite is "emperor cookies": two white (flat) cookies with jelly in the middle, then the top one covered in sugar icing and decorated with some more icing or candy decoration.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 13:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Christmas cookies. Decorated with cream cheese frosting. I'm not sure what's more fun - making or eating them.

The bastards ate them all last year. Hopefully they'll be better behaved this time around (they should be...the chief culprit just had his flight cancelled...hopefully he'll be stuck here until my bf and I fly out on Saturday [evil] ).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 13:30      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mincemeat cookies. My mom is going to have to show me how to make them sooner or later so I can carry on the tradition.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 13:41      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made some bitchin' challah bread last weekend. Otherwise, I don't do much baking...for some odd reason, the frilly apron just bursts into flame every time I try to put it on. [Confused]

Maybe I'll make some pot brownies this year.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 15:53      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now i don't really have a favorite holiday baked good. Because i'm usually not that picky. But there are a couple of dutch baked goods i like (for the sake of keeping the grammer nazi's at bay i won't attempt to type the names of them)

As for cookies, i prefer the classics but they are mostly all good.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 16:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is bread pudding with pineapple. I'm usually too lazy to make it, though, and wind up just eating the can of pineapple.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 17:02      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its not a holiday baked good, but a special occasion baked good. usually a romantic baked good that I whip out on valentines day (which is a holiday!)
(or, in this case, new years for the boy before he leaves).

They're individual rich, dark chocolate cakes with liquid chocolate centers.
nothing says "I love you" like gooey chocolate.

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 18:26      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA will probably kill me, but anyway...

Some baked goods...

I've been going at it since last week.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 7 posted December 20, 2006 18:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:

Some baked goods...

Drat... it's too late to suck up to you and become a close enough friend to warrant a care package.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 18:43      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMMM my yiayia's Baklava.yum. unfortunately I have never mastered it. sigh.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 18:48      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't do much baking for the holidays, but Sambousak and Kibbeh are the perennial favorites of my family, which has a Syrian heritage.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 19:02      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I should have required some recipes to be shared to answer this question. mmmmm

My mom and I made baklava from scratch once. It tasted great, but we had a hard time keeping the philo nice as we layered it. When you do master it let me know the secret.

BooBoo, that one gingerbread man looks like he knows what is coming. LOL

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 19:51      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:

Some baked goods...

I keep telling you, its only okay to brag about all your goodies if you share.
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 09:19      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have two holiday favorites in my family:

• Egg-nog pie (basically a type of custard pie)
  • Pretzel salad (bottom layer of pretzels, middle layer of cream cheese and whipped cream, and a top layer of strawberry jello with strawberries in it)

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 12:59      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Home-made shortbread cookies with a bit of maraschino cherry in the middle... Reminds me of me gramma... [Happytears]
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 15:49      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christmas pudding with hard sauce. [Smile]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 08:21      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had a good Christmas Pud in years. sigh now I'm hungry. rats

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture