homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » My Christmas shopping list (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My Christmas shopping list
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 05:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's going to be the best Christmas ever!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 06:14            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we had lawn darts, but no-one lost any eyeballs.

But an atomic energy lab? Good grief! And it came out well past the end of World War II when the dangers of radiation were surely extremely well known by that point (anyone say "Hiroshima"?) Damn, man ...

Course, in some cases it sounds like the only missing ingredient was proper parental supervision. But I might make exceptions for things like a kiddy hot plate (!) and radioactive toys ...

IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 06:31      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can actually still buy lawn darts in the UK. I've seen them alongside giant chess sets etc. in a local garden centre.

I want an Atomic Energy Lab for christmas though!

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 06:36      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was all about Creepy Crawlers when I was a kid. (I think I got mine sometime in the early 90s, though, after they'd changed the design from "open hot plate" to something a little more "EZ-Bake Oven.")
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 06:37      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's way to increase child awareness of physics I'm all for it. The few we lose to radiation sickness and cancer are just the price we pay for progress. [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 06:41      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a set of lawn darts that I picked up at a rummage sale a couple years ago.

And who gives their child a hammock as a toy?

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 06:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the lawn darts as a kid too. We sharpened the points on them and threw them at trees in the woods behind where I lived. Nobody was dumb enough to stand near the target, though, so no impalements.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 07:24      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents have some fresh-out-of-the-70s Jarts. Funny thing about my parents though, they were actually responsible when I was growing up. They warned me (ad nausium) about the clear and present danger that the Jarts presented and how to stay safe while playing with them. And strangely enough, they didn't need to have a warning label for them to realize that they were dangerous!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 07:59      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love lawn darts - I used to play them all the time as a kid, and we used to throw them overhand at the hill in front of my folk's place (as with Steen, nobody was dumb enough to get between the hill and the person throwing them).

I think the GT snow racer should definately make it on that list... I've seen more broken bones and head injuries resulting from people (read: me) taking take the sled with the sharp pointy metal "brakes" over a jump, flipping backwards, and having said "brakes" slice open some flesh... only to crack my head on the hard snow once I hit the ground.

And that doesn't count sledding across a road by accident, or the trees that were run into.

Anyone else have any interesting sledding injury stories?

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 08:37      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a riot! Thanks for the link, Steen.

I owned both the Derringer firing belt buckle and the cannon. No mishaps with either, but Mom never knew about the cannon(s) and I don't think she was aware of the buckle's hidden charms. I bought them myself with proceeds from lawn jobs, etc. (Actually had two of the cannons hidden in the garage attic. We'd take them out and have wars shooting at each other when the parents weren't home.)

That Johnny Reb commercial brings back memories. Amazing how you can remember the words to a jingle from your adolescence.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 08:39      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, apart that we used to have a lot of fun, no "interesting" stories. But a kid was killed a couple of years ago in my area. He ran into a tree stading at the end of the slope. (BTW, the tree was illegally cut by some angry parent who thought the city was too slow to act.)

On the main subject, I'll side with MMKK's idea that irresponsible parenting is usually more dangerous than many dangerous toys.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 14, 2006 08:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proud owner of Fright Factory. I have the third degree burns to prove it. [Cool]

MMMMMM.... GLOW IN THE DARK PLASTI-GOOP!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 09:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had lawn darts. The plastics fins are now long broken so I cannot play anymore. They are perfectly safe if used properly.

They should start selling them agian but put a warning label on the package along the lines of

"DO not use if you are stupid, Yes this means YOU!"

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 10:55      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The derringer belt buckle reminds me of a guy I knew on a trip to Mexico once. Down there they sold these garbanzo beans coated with some kind of material that would make the whole thing spark and pop if you threw it against a wall or the street. For obvious reasons, the garbanzos were sold in bags of sawdust, but this guy decided the bag was too bulky, so he took the beans out of the bag and put them in one of the front pockets of his pants. A couple of us realized why this was a bad idea, but were unable to convince him of that (fortunately, we talked another guy out of doing the same thing).

I'm sure you can guess what happened, and he probably had about 40 of the things in his pocket at the time. The garbanzos burned a hole through the pocket and the front of his jeans. I confess to not feeling terribly sympathetic, even though he was in a fair amount of pain.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 11:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
You can actually still buy lawn darts in the UK. I've seen them alongside giant chess sets etc. in a local garden centre.

Wear a mask and wash your hands when you're finished playing.

Seriously though, you don't need a hazmat suit to work with alpha emitters. You just need to exercise very good hygiene.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 11:33      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great list!. I had lawn darts, creepy crawlers, a smaller cannon that shot pointy shells rather than balls. Dangerous toys rock!
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 12:19      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Seriously though, you don't need a hazmat suit to work with alpha emitters. You just need to exercise very good hygiene.
I can't remember exactly what we used them for, but we did a labelling experiment, and our hygeine wasn't great!

But then, a little bit of radiation may be good for you!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 14:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the thing with alpha is it can't hurt you unless you ingest it, or inhale it. Once that happens, though, you're going to get dosed. What in the world were you labeling with alpha for, anyway? Beta and gamma are much easier to detect!

We use radiolabels all the time, but they spit out beta radiation. We use shields and gloves. Lots and lots of gloves. And when the gloves get contaminated we stick them in a shielded waste bucket. And god help you if you don't check everything very carefully and track that crap all over the lab or contaminate something with lots of little holes and tight corners.

X-rays are easy. You just close the shield and don't go behind it unless the shutter is closed. If you do find yourself on the wrong side of the shield when the shutter's open, you just get out. Or close the shutter. That's all. No mess, no Radiacwash, no tracking radioactivity all over the place, no scaring everyone as you wander about with a clicking geiger counter while wearing glasses, gloves, coat, and dosimeter. Very nice and easy. Like turning off a light switch.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 14:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
scaring everyone as you wander about with a clicking geiger counter while wearing glasses, gloves, coat, and dosimeter.

If you faked the geiger counter so you could control the rate of the sound, that could make for a fun Halloween costume.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 14:51      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What in the world were you labeling with alpha for, anyway? Beta and gamma are much easier to detect!
I don't know if it was alpha, it was 8 years ago, as an undergrad. It was a pharmacology course, so probably something to do with radiolabelled neurotransmitters and/or receptors.

X-rays are fine, all the sources fail safe, so it should be impossible to die. I did a radiation protection course when we acquired an XPS. Can't remember much from it, and as I don't really do any work with radiation, it doesn't matter. Had to watch a lecture and answer questions when I used ISIS (neutron spallation source).

Anyway, the biggest problem I had was stray microwaves, or putting my eye out with a laser. But I'm still OK, so obviously I'm safe.

The hysteria surrounding radioactivity annoys me. You get a substantial dose whenever you fly, and if you live around granite, you will be irradiated. I did see an interesting horizon programme a while back, which suggested that the current linear approximation model is rubbish, and small doses of radiation may be beneficial.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 15:20      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Xanthine wrote:
scaring everyone as you wander about with a clicking geiger counter while wearing glasses, gloves, coat, and dosimeter.

If you faked the geiger counter so you could control the rate of the sound, that could make for a fun Halloween costume.

I always thought having a fake geiger counter with a hidden trigger in the handle to make it go off would be fun. I bet you could get an interesting reaction by pointing at someone's cellphone and making it go nuts. [evil]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 15:46      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be more fun to point it at someone's nuts and make it go nuts. [evil]

This year I did some lab exercises with some low level beta emitters. No protection or anything. If the physics department aren't concerned I'm happy.
I can always sue them for negligence if anything happens. And make a deposit before the radiotherapy begins.

By no means were they the hottest sources in the room. [Wink]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 16:32      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:

Wear a mask and wash your hands when you're finished playing.

Really? I think Mr Litvinenko might have a slightly different opinion on that subject [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 16:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if he hadn't eaten or inhaled that crap he would still be alive today. Alpha radiation is very dnagerous once it gets inside you, but a layer of dead skin cells can stop it. Which is why, if you wash your hands after handling it and avoid candy from strangers, you'll be fine, and if you get particles in the air you're fscked.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 17:01      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what's fun. Put on a hazmat suit, get a clipboard, and walk up and down a random block in your town looking at each house and writing something down. Then get in a van and driving away.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture