homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » twofer Tuesday - holiday music (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: twofer Tuesday - holiday music
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 18:09      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My local radio station plays holiday music from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas day. I am officially sick of it already. So my question is what is your favourite piece of holiday music? What is your least favourite? Can be any holiday, in case you hate "Do the bunny hop"

1. Hate that Christmas Shoes song, where the mom is dying.
2. Like a number of songs. Right now my favourite is Must be Santa as my daughter loves singing it with our holiday record and I love hearing her sing it.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 19:51      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, your answers are in the opposite order of the questions.

1. I mainly only like irreverent songs, like Bob & Doug McKenzie's The 12 Days of Christmas, or Ben Folds' Bizarre Christmas Incident. But I also really like Bob Seger's rendition of The Little Drummer Boy, which is not at all irreverent.

2. I hate slow crap and most of the traditional songs. The damn Winter Wonderland is driving me crazy. Chestnuts Roasting by an Open Fire can go roast somewhere else. And friggin Suzie snowflake can kiss my donkey (unless it's the Soul Coughing version, which is barely tolerable).

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 20:01      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite holiday songs is Baby, It's Cold Outside. Mostly because of the ways the song can be interpreted badly.

The answer is no...

What's in this drink?...

As far as one I don't like, I've never really cared for the renditions of Feliz Navidad played on the radio and the Manheim Steamroller stuff gets old really fast.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 20:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My least favorite has to be "Grandma got run over by a reindeer". I think hearing it too many times in one day is likely to cause internal bleeding.

My favorite, which doesn't really match the sort of music I normally listen to at all, is "Gabriel's Message" by Sting.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 20:21      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love christmas music! I've been listening to the radio all day!

I love the trans siberian orchestra's carol of the bells. its been my most looked forward to song of the year since I was 10 or so.

I can't stand any song about two lovers being separated for christmas (I'll be home for christmas or merry christmas darling)
too depressing.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 20:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carols I enjoy. Popular music is more of a hit and miss...usually a miss. But I like the Hanukkah Song. Adam Sandler kicks ass.

The Chipmunks song I can't fscking stand, and Sleigh Ride makes me nuts, mainly because I played it way too many times in the high school orchestra.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 20:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
business attire wrote:
I can't stand any song about two lovers being separated for christmas (I'll be home for christmas or merry christmas darling)
too depressing.

In that case, you should ask Snaggy if he'll let you listen to a copy of The Cat Carol. It'll cheer you right up [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 21:56      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
should I even bother asking?
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 22:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That depends on how much you like smartassed replies [Wink]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 23:02      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really hope it would be a smartass reply instead of a ban - cat carols can be mighty annoying.

Getting back to the original topic - Trans-Siberian Orchestra uber alles!

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 23:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love: Traditional Christmas Carols/Hymns (Except for "Here we come a'wassiling") done in a fairly traditional style (none of the jazzed-up R&B versions of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" thank you very much!). Oh, and Vince Guaraldi!

Hate (this list is long): campy Christmas Novelty songs that are basically campy lovey-dovey pop drivel with the word Christmas thrown in: "Christmas Baby Won't You Please Come Home;" over-orchistrated, diva-powered covers of Christmas Hymns; traditional songs "flavoured" with key changes, erratic time signature changes, strange interludes, or new words!; that Bruce Springsteen version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town;" anything related to Bob & Tom; and much much more!

PS: If you're looking for traditional Christmas Hymns done in a traditional style that's easy to sing with, look no further than http://www.heavenlypeace.net </shameless plug>

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 23:37      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always love listening to music from A Charlie Brown Christmas. Lately have to listen to "Merry F***ing Christmas" form South Park. And just picked up "Ghosts of Christmas Past" by The New York Room.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 02:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Favorite christmas song is a toss up between Handel's "Messiah" and Simon and Garfunkel's "7 o'clock news".

Most hated christmas song is modern recording arists recording thier own version of clasic christmas songs. They should sing these damn songs how they are written. The audacity to think that they can sing it better pisses me of.

Most of you are probably noting my hipocracy that one of my favorite christmas songs is a modern take on a classic. But the thing is, that classic song is sung correctly with the correct notes, just in a different language than it was written.

Edit: Thanks for the link MMKK. I totally agree with you.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 03:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm patriotically obliged to mention...

New Christmas Song by Kevin Bloody Wilson
quote:
Hey Santa claus you c***!
Where's me f***ing bike?
I've unwrapped all this other junk and there's nothing that I like.

and

Six White Boomers by Rolf Harris.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 05:34      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate just about all Christmas music. Especially annoying are, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bell Rock, Santa Claus is coming to town and the absolutely most annoying Here Comes Santy Claus.

I like Please Daddy, Don't Get Drunk This Christmas. I think it's hilarious. Not sure if it's meant to be...

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 07:37      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like "Still, Still, Still" and "Mary, Did You Know" (but not the horrible Kenny Rogers/Wynnona Judd version, I like the beautiful Billy Dean version).

I dislike anything sung poorly or significantly altered so that it doesn't resemble the original song, and the Chipmunks. And that horrible song by "Wham!" (I think it's called "Last Christmas").

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 07:45      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys have some good titles listed. I also like Christmas in the drunk tank by the Pogues; although it isn't really a Christmas song.

My mom managed a record store the year the Chimpmunk song came out and it played in an almost endless loop. If you wanted to see my mom go into a twitching fit, play that one. LOL

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 09:48      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
My mom managed a record store the year the Chimpmunk song came out and it played in an almost endless loop. If you wanted to see my mom go into a twitching fit, play that one. LOL

My dad is the same way with the "It's a Small World" theme song from Disneyland.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 10:28      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to select only one of each. So that's what I came with:

I always had a special liking to the Carol of the bells, and I have a nice version (wordless!) by The Nylons, but I'd love to find one by a good choir. Also, the Huron Carol is nice, but I never considered the original (yes, I have a version sung in Huron and Abenakis!) as a Christmas song. It's more a christianization song. (Also, special mention to Sting's "Russians", and Yves Duteil's "Pour les enfants du monde entier", which aren't Christmas songs per se, but fit with its true spirit. For me, anyway.)

I must admit that the chipmunks' song grates on my nerves too, but so does most of the "let's make a Christmas album with (whoever is at the top of the chart)" songs. The interpretations rarely adds anything to the songs, and are usually just another (so-so to downright bad) version. The exceptions are usually very good, though. (And to hear the Red Army Choir sings "Petit papa Noël" - a song about a little child praying Santa Claus on Christmas Eve - is both laughable and cute. Male adult voices use to military marchs singing a cute prayer with an horrible accent... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 11:14      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. My favorite is probably "Fuck Christmas" by Fear.
2. I loathe any "holiday" music that isn't sarcastic or funny. Keep your damn jingle bells to yourself. [Razz]

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 13:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holiday music? I try to avoid it all, if possible. I just keep on playing whatever I normally listen to. Right now, it's, oddly enough, a rip of side A of a Mathematics drum and bass mix cassette ("The Seventh Sign"). From 2000. What were they doing recording cassettes in 2000? I don't know if it was commercial, and they're all up on their site as downloads but still. Interesting stuff anyway. And not a jingling bell in earshot.
IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 14:50      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, i hate Christmas, Thanksgiving, and pretty much all the widely-celebrated holidays (although i do enjoy the time off). And even worse is the holiday music.
The only Holidays that I like are Halloween and some of the other holidays that hardly anyone else celebrates (like Mischeif Night, St. George's Day, etc.). i wish there was some/more music for such Holdays.
And I was sick of the Christmas songs ever since the day after Thanksgiving [shake head] ...

Oh, by the way, does anyone ever get the same Chrstmas Carol stuck in your head around this time of year? I ALWAYS get "away in a manger" stuck in my head [ohwell]

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 15:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any girl who hates Christmas etc has just scored a big plus in my books. It's a potential source of friction wiped clean. But since I don't celebrate anything whatsoever, there'd still be pain to come, like birthdays and anniversaries and all that crap.

Sod it all, just enjoy the music. But decent music, not the crappy Christmas tape that gets regurgitated every year until even the least musical could hum the whole cassette pitch perfect in correct order.

IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 17:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best Christmas record without any shadow of doubt is "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues with the wonderful Kirsty McColl. I don't mind Phil Spector's Christmas record, even though it is now a cliché.

I don't hate anything to do with Christmas, no percentage in it.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 13:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top Christmas Choons... Gaudete
by Steeleye Span, and Solstice Bells by Jethro Tull [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

On the downside there is that bloody Band-Aid song [shake head] [thumbsdown]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture