homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » The new revolution called Internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The new revolution called Internet
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 22:39      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A video from the early 90s about something called "Internet."

Kind of funny and kind of sad at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFzS3phx9-s

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 23:15      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, isn't that Paul Womanstunnel or Peter Mansbridge?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 07, 2006 23:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter Mansbridge!
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 06:26      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's rather amusing to look back at stuff like this.

Why I remember when I first used IRC back around 1989! AberMUDs! Bitnet Relay Chat!

Uhm... I'm dating myself here, aren't I?

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 07:38      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
internet is not full of pages of "go to hell"

oh man. laughter central is now in Raleigh, NC.

MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 10:15      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:

I set up my first internet connection on my home PC in 1993. It was winsock this, gopher that - a whole myriad of thises and that's to cobble together to get it to work.

--------------------
MMG

Posts: 30 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 13:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Passing fad, it'll never catch on.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 13:25      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in the UK we were mostly latecomers to the party

But will say i started when you still needed one app to send mail and another to receive it and Mosaic and Alta Vista were kings - changed pretty soon to Netscape(v2?)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 14:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
It's rather amusing to look back at stuff like this.

Why I remember when I first used IRC back around 1989! AberMUDs! Bitnet Relay Chat!

Uhm... I'm dating myself here, aren't I?

That's alright...one's not likely to get stood up that way. [Wink]

Oh...and the video was amusing. Nice find, goo! [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 15:59      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually I have seen it before a few months ago... BBC had a link to it I think, (could be wrong on that) but still well found Goo

On another vaugely connected idea... whatever happened to the IT Crowd? Seemed a hit but never been mentioned since...

Oh well more bloody rubbish like "Titty Bang Bang" is no doubt scheduled

[Eek!]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 16:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ser: That was a great show...but they were really pesky after the few few episodes about not allowing downloads stateside. Mind you, that was relatively easy to get around, but the DRM they shoved into the .wmv files was really obnoxious. Thankfully, some kind souls put the last few episodes on YouTube, and I enjoyed them immensely. I'd love it if they did another season, but I won't hold my breath. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 16:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak wrote:
On another vaugely connected idea... whatever happened to the IT Crowd? Seemed a hit but never been mentioned since...

I don't know how it will turn out, but it appears that NBC may remake the IT Crowd for the US audience.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 17:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Serenak wrote:

I don't know how it will turn out, but it appears that NBC may remake the IT Crowd for the US audience.

I won't even click that link, but instead cry "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 17:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Serenak wrote:

I won't even click that link, but instead cry "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."
I'll see your "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..." and raise you an "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (choke) !"
quote:
from TFA:
Kath and Kim is based on an Australian series about a divorced mother and her daughter

A merkin Kath and Kim ????
They might as well try for a merkin 'Fawlty Towers'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 19:32      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacMandoGal:
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:

I set up my first internet connection on my home PC in 1993. It was winsock this, gopher that - a whole myriad of thises and that's to cobble together to get it to work.
Ah, I remember Gopher. It was a good idea, but obviously could not stand up to the Web.

It was really the end of 1994 when the Internet became easy and popular enough for the later explosion that took place.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture