homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Muslim Fear in America (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Muslim Fear in America
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 09:11      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061201/us_nm/usa_muslims_fear_dc

So the american public is afraid of the muslim population in general.

I wonder why... With everytime we turn around, a new radical clerk is declaring death to us, or some nutjob(you can quote me here) is arrested trying to blow something up, and hes been to like Saudi Arabia or some Middle East country (or is from there). Plus we are currently in the middle of a civil war with them in Iraq, and might be in a war soon with Iran.

Then again, you can put a good bit of blame on the media for their hype about it as well.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 09:22      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not afraid of Muslims.

Then again I can walk in South Central without fear also.

Perhaps I am crazy. But the next time I hear a Muslim clerk tell me to die. I will just go to the next line at the DMV.

[Smile] [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 09:43            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a clerk tell me to die. A cleric, though ...
IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 11:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I've never had a clerk tell me to die. A cleric, though ...

You haven't been to the DMV*, then... [Wink]

Clearly, processing /your/ paperwork gets in their way of collecting a paycheck with little to no effort. [Razz]

*A quick bit of Googling translates that to: DVLA.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 12:30      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, only people from outside of the country are "evil." Americans never hurt, rob from, rape, or murder their own kind.
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 18:24      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HATE the fact that the American public is afraid of Muslims, or blame them. As former Muslim myself, I can assure you that most everything is being misrepresented on the media. Hussein and such claims of religion are false; people merely use that as an excuse. Did you know that the majority of Muslims completely disagree with what is being done (as far as terrorist attacks, etc)? It is ridiculous. The media is ridiculous. It is so misrepresented. Muslims are a quiet, peaceful people who just like being left alone, and they should be. Its almost like declaring war on the buddhists...

Yet another reason to hate America and all of its goddamn lies.

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 18:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From TFA:
A Gallup poll this summer of more than 1,000 Americans showed that 39 percent were in favor of requiring Muslims in the United States, including American citizens, to carry special identification.

Roughly a quarter of those polled said they would not want to live next door to a Muslim and a third thought that Muslims in the United States sympathized with al Qaeda, the extremist group behind the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington.

Let's look at that from the other direction...

61% (i.e. the majority) do not think muslims should have to carry special ID
75% (i.e. the majority) do not mind living next door to muslims
67% (i.e. the majority) do not think that muslims in the US are sympathetic with al Qaeda

never_ask_why333 wrote:

So, it seems that you're pissed off because the media misrepresents the actions of a minority of muslims as if they represented the entire religion.

...and you would condem an entire population because you hate the opinions of a minority of that population.

I imagine the irony is lost on you.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 19:22      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warning: Pissed off mexican!

Americans in fear of Muslims? I wonder why that is?

Is it because of the few Islamic Extremists who attacked us a couple years ago (if it was even them)? Probably not. Is it because of the American Propoganda machine running in full production? Probably so. But if not, who should we really fear? Kaczynski: 16 Bombs over a period of 17 Years killing 3 and injuring 29 (Unabomber). Whitman: Sniping 46. Killing 15 and injuring 31 from a clock tower (The Tower Sniper). McVeigh: 11 Felony convictions. One Bombing alone claiming 168 lives (Oklahoma City Bombings). I mean, shit, these guys have their own damn "codenames". You dont mess with that.

Kaczynski: Born Chicago, Il
Whitman: Born Lake Worth, Fl
McVeigh: Born Pendleton, NY

Who should we be afraid of?

CommanderShroom, I will walk the streets of LA with you any day without fear.

Also, It's been a long time, but I think I feel a throat punch coming.
Speaking of, I got thoat punched this weekend...

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 23:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh bleah. Got your voice back yet?

Looking at Jace's list I'd say we need to be most afraid of men born east of the Missippi. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 08:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Looking at Jace's list I'd say we need to be most afraid of men born east of the Mississippi. [Wink]

Especially when they're living West of it!

Oops! That would include me...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 10:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me cringes in terror and pulls out a cross

Back! Back you fiend! Get back I say!

[Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 10:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic obviously doesn't work on him. What makes you think a cross will?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 13:14      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So CP was right about you the whole time, eh, gg? For shame, for shame.

[evil]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
baker_nat
Geek
Member # 116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 15:35      Profile for baker_nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
From TFA:
A Gallup poll this summer of more than 1,000 Americans showed that 39 percent were in favor of requiring Muslims in the United States, including American citizens, to carry special identification.

Roughly a quarter of those polled said they would not want to live next door to a Muslim and a third thought that Muslims in the United States sympathized with al Qaeda, the extremist group behind the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington.

Let's look at that from the other direction...

61% (i.e. the majority) do not think muslims should have to carry special ID
75% (i.e. the majority) do not mind living next door to muslims
67% (i.e. the majority) do not think that muslims in the US are sympathetic with al Qaeda

never_ask_why333 wrote:

So, it seems that you're pissed off because the media misrepresents the actions of a minority of muslims as if they represented the entire religion.

...and you would condem an entire population because you hate the opinions of a minority of that population.

I imagine the irony is lost on you.

do you consider that to be an acceptable statistic then?

25% wouldnt want to live next door to a muslem, and you dont thing there's a problem, put yourself in their shoes.

39% think that muslems should carry special ID!!! WTF, <sarchasm> why not give them a star, then eventually put them in concentration camps, </sarchasm> well thats what the Nazis did.

and 33% think that muslems are sympathetic to al quieda?! Do you not think that you're getting pretty close to a race war!!!

I am shocked by some of the opinions already shared here.

I would also like to make my opinion on 9/11:

Im not saying I condone the action however this spoke to me:

quote:

you can keep the pentagon
keep the propaganda
keep each and every TV
that's been trying to convince me
to participate
in some prep school punk's plan to perpetuate retribution
perpetuate retribution
even as the blue toxic smoke of our lesson in retribution
is still hanging in the air
and there's ash on our shoes
and there's ash in our hair
and there's a fine silt on every mantle
from hell's kitchen to Brooklyn
and the streets are full of stories
sudden twists and near misses
and soon every open bar is crammed to the rafters
with tales of narrowly averted disasters
and the whiskey is flowin
like never before
as all over the country
folks just shake their heads
and pour

--------------------
Visit my site: -

http://www.splashtech.co.uk/natb

Posts: 171 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 16:14      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statistics are only statistics.
It would seem that the majority of people willing to take a poll about not being afraid of Muslims, are those indeed who are not afraid.
And even if it wasn't the case, who says it truly and accurately represents the American public? Silly little polls like that prove nothing, in my opinion. If I were to post something saying that 57% of people believe in vampires, would that prove that they exist? of course not.

Polls are very misrepresented. It is very unlikely that people doing them are from, say, the ghettos of New York, merely because they do not have the same type of access to them as do many 'regular' suburban citizens. And many of these people, if not most, are the very ones who fear the Muslims. Of course, the people from the ghetto is merely an example. See where I am going from this?

You can put whatever stats in front of me. I really don't care. I just know that for several years, I was a Muslim, and I moved all around the country. And no matter where I went, I always got the same type of treatment: fear and hate. There were precious few exceptions. So stats really don't mean much to me, because no matter what they say, i have lived it. I have really been there, done that. I know what it is like. And regardless of what anyone says, during my time as a Muslim, i learned that a good deal of the American public is very ignorant, and fear Muslims. Say anything that you want, hun, but I've lived it. have you?

And yes, I hate America. i always have, before any of the 9/11 stuff came up. But that has little, if anything, to do with my views. And basically, it is irrelevant. I have my own reasonings.

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 17:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
So CP was right about you the whole time, eh, gg? For shame, for shame.

[evil]

[blush] [blush] [blush] [blush]
It sucks to be me, I guess.

*hangs head in shame, while managing to keep hat in place, thus not revealing balding patch, as though it mattered to the profilers*

quote:
Originally posted by never_ask_why333:
I have my own reasonings.

I'm bettin' you meant "seasonings".

Oh. And while I'm at it, let me make a comment on the topic and opening link: Bullshit! I wouldn't even know a Muslim if he/she came up and swatted me on the nose. And I wouldn't hesitate to swat 'em right back, but not because he/she was a Muslim.

baker_nat: You've got a bunch more switched around than just your name. You must be talkin' about "museums". Folks don't want to live next to museums... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 19:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
baker_nat wrote:
do you consider that to be an acceptable statistic then?

25% wouldnt want to live next door to a muslem, and you dont thing there's a problem, put yourself in their shoes.

Of course it's a problem, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my post. The point, and the ONLY point, in that post is that it is hypocritical to condemn the majority of a people based on the opinions of an offensive minority.

If you'll kindly open up your damn brain, you might understand how that bit of logic applies not only to condemning all US citizens because a minority of them show bigotry against Muslims, but to the accusation that Muslims should all be condemned based on the actions of a minority of violent Muslims.

As far as putting myself in their shoes, try being an openly bisexual man in southern US and see what sort of treatment you get from the vocal and often violent rednecks. It's not pretty and I have scars to show for it.

never_ask_why333 wrote:
during my time as a Muslim, i learned that a good deal of the American public is very ignorant, and fear Muslims. Say anything that you want, hun, but I've lived it. have you?

During your time as a Muslim? Would you care to share how long you endured the trials and tribulations of following that religion? Did it last as long as your vegetarian phase or did it get tossed even faster when you found something more shiny?

To answer your question, no, I haven't been Muslim. In the eyes of those around me, I'm far worse. I think it's safe to say that I've had far worse treatment at the hands of bigots than you have ever faced and I've endured it for longer than you've been alive. I've had the crap beaten out of me and my life threatened among other things, but I remained who I was. Can you say the same?

... and don't call me 'hun'. You haven't earned that level of familiarity and I'm quite certain you never will.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 20:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just can't take a whole lot of stock in this poll.

First point of contention. 1000 people, out of 300,000,000. Not much of a segment of the US.

Second point. They fail to mention what sections of the country were polled. Suburbia, rural, metropolitan? 300 people from each? Again, not such a good base for comparison.

Are there people who are afraid of anyone of Middle Eastern descent? Of course, just like there are people that are afraid of blacks, Hispanics, Asians, disabled people. Fear and irrational beliefs are not the sole burden of any one group. Most people are biased and irrational. We fear what we do not understand. We fear different. We fear, fear.

The world would be such a fantastic place if people didn't populate it.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 21:26      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

... just like there are people that are afraid...disabled people...

What's there to be afraid of? Getting hit by a wheel chair? or a Walker maybe?
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 21:37      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

... just like there are people that are afraid...disabled people...

What's there to be afraid of? Getting hit by a wheel chair? or a Walker maybe?
Being different. That is all there is to it. The need to beat down those you can make less than you. I equate that with fear. Why would someone feel the need to tear down someone with Down's Syndrome(for example), except for the fear of the different.

Edit.:

Some people will disagree with me. But IMNSHO I that is the core of what drives people to treat others the way they do.

A sense of power? To need to be more powerful than another is a form of insecurity to me.

Which equates to fear. Fear creates irrational thoughts. Hate. Bigotry. Belittlement.

And if only I could say that I was any better.

Humanity is a terrible weight for the average person to bear.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 08:36      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is upsetting and all, but US citizens appear to trust atheists even less than Muslims. [shake head]
baker_nat
Geek
Member # 116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 08:47      Profile for baker_nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Open my brain? wont that hurt... The point i was making is that the proportion of muslem extreamists is tiny, in comparison to the huge percentages of ameriacans who have a prejudice against them.

I sympathise with having the rednecks on your back, this however, would make me think you were more sympathetic.

It is in fact 60% of americans, who are against gay marrige for the record.

So... hmmm

--------------------
Visit my site: -

http://www.splashtech.co.uk/natb

Posts: 171 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 08:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what else did you expect with godless, immoral heathens such as myself running amok in the world?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 08:53      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Well, what else did you expect with godless, immoral heathens such as myself running amok in the world?

Bombs strapped to your chest?
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 08:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't use strap-ons [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture