homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Saturday single - story from the shopping wars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saturday single - story from the shopping wars
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 18:37      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed the Friday Five, so I'll let you off easy. Share a story from holiday shopping. It can be funny. It can be about scoring the perfect gift. It doesn't have to be this year. Your choice [Smile]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 23:24      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I wasn't really worried about getting anybody a gift this year except my mom, and maybe my youngest sister.

I had the perfect gift planned for my mom- it's a vial of tritium gas available from United Nuclear. THe cool thing is, tritium is radioactive (beta decay), and the inside of the vial is coated with some kind of fluorescent substance that luminesces when hit by beta radiation. Tritium has a halflife of like 12.5 years, and the vial gives off a 'useful' amount of light for about 15. The vial is very sturdy, and very difficult to break- and even if it does, there's little enough Tritium in it that it wouldn't do any harm (unless you were trying to inhale it. Otherwise, skin is an effective beta blocker).

It seems like a strange gift, but my mom is a nuclear medicine technician, so she'd appreciate it. Unfortunately, United Nuclear is sold out and it doesn't look like they have any plans to bring it back.

Hmmmm... maybe if I build a Farnsworth-Hirsch fusor I could make my own tritium [Razz]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 01:42      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do all my shoppong for gifts for peopel I know continually year round so when a birthday or christmas comes around I am already doen. Sometimes the gifts are people specific and sometimes I just see something and think that would make a good gift.

I think I get people better stuff this way as most of these gifts are bought on my travels.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 04:17      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, after having survived a punch-out in Toys'R'Us for a single Megazord toy back during the Power rangers craze of 96, now buy presents online though a site with its headquarters near my place.

Guaranteed 1-day shipping, with a 1-year warranty.

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 19:04      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't come from a family of shoppers. I think my favourite shopping story was looking for a gift for a friend. She wanted wine glasses. I couldn't find anything I liked. So I decided to buy just one cool one - a Waterford glass. My local store that carried Waterford couldn't bother to help me. She had that important personal call going on.

So I ordered it from an Irish mail order catalog, but it wouldn't be here in time. So I wrote in my friend's card that she and I wouldn't celebrate the holidays until Maeve got here.

For a month she thought I had a friend coming from Ireland to meet her. I bought her one more glass in the Maeve pattern the next year, but it wasn't as much fun as the first year with her thinking she was going to meet my friend Maeve, who was coming over from Ireland.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture