homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Ball (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ball
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 14:38      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As was promised, a long time ago, Some pictures of me in my Dress Blues, from the Marine Corps Birthday Ball that just passed last week.
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 14:51      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [Applause] [Big Grin]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 14:58      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lookin' sharp. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 17, 2006 15:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looking sharp Sir!

-

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 15:04      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*salutes*
Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 15:38      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sir, yes sir, Mr Marine Sir... and then salutes...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 16:10      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow [Wink]

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 18, 2006 02:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're so tiny!!! And you look so young!! Marine life mustn't be as difficult as I always thought it was.

The medals on your chest are impressive. I wonder why the designer didn't make the jacket to match the pants, though. Don't the other branches of the military have matching tops and bottoms when they're dressed up?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 03:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JR__________________________________From an old squid, you look good. DB's don't need to be explained they just are.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 04:03      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking just awesome! [Smile] [Applause] [thumbsup]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 07:16      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
You're so tiny!!! And you look so young!! Marine life mustn't be as difficult as I always thought it was.

The medals on your chest are impressive. I wonder why the designer didn't make the jacket to match the pants, though. Don't the other branches of the military have matching tops and bottoms when they're dressed up?

There's a little bit of history to every article of that uniform.

[1] The red stripe "Blood Stripe" on the trousers is worn by noncommissioned officers (
NCO's), warrant officers (WO's) and commissioned officers, traditionally to honor the high number of casualties among NCO's, WO's and Officers at the Battle of Chapultapec in 1847 in the Mexican War. Specifically, after a victorious capture of the Castle of Chapultapec, a heavily fortified hill we took by force, though lost many.

[2] Originally, the trousers were the same color of as the blouse and durring the days of the calvary our marine officers would fold up their blouses and put them in their saddlebags. The trousers would get bleached and faded by the sun and after a while we continued to carry on that tradition.

[3] The high collar traditionally made of leather was originally used to protect our necks from enemy swords.

[4] The blouse is almost identical to that which was issued in Tun's Tavern (birthplace of the marine corps) back in 1775. They were leftovers from General "Mad Anthony" Wayne's Legion. Blue with Red Trimming.

The Marine Corps Dress Blues are the only US Military uniforms with Red, White and Blue in them. Also our corps colors are Scarlet and Gold.

------

Thanks rhonnie. I am small, not so much tiny and I am young I'm only 20. Also, I dont know how hard you think the Marine Corps life is, but I'll assure you, It isn't easy.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 10:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean the "tiny" remark to be an insult, Jace. [Frown] Most of the military men I know are over 6'0" and weigh probably 250... or at least they look huge to me. I guess I was expecting to see another "hulking lout" as they tended to be at college. Forgive me?

It's kinda scary, too, seeing you look so young and knowing you're only four years older than my brother. You've accomplished so much since you were that age and now have such a huge responsibility. But again, you're only four years older than my brother, and that seems really young to me.

Ehh. I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the reality of it all... a reality brought to my attention by your picture.

Thanks for explaining the uniform, Jace. I can appreciate it better now that I know the history of it.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 10:29      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Forgive me?

Nah! Give her a sound throat-punching, Jace! Show Rhonny that the question is not, "How big is the dog?" but rather, "How much fight is in the dog?"
[Big Grin]

Nice Dress Blues, Gyrene! [thumbsup]
gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 10:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most of the military men I know are over 6'0" and weigh probably 250... or at least they look huge to me. I guess I was expecting to see another "hulking lout" as they tended to be at college.

Sometimes it pays to be a smaller target...

Jace, that first photo is eerily reminiscent of a picture my mum has of my granddad, taken just before he went off to WW 1. Granddad didn't have a lot of luck in that war. You be careful, m'kay?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 18, 2006 11:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking sharp there Jace!

Rhon, the military people I've met come in all shapes and sizes. The ones currently active are all pretty fit but beyond that it varies. And yeah, the people over fighting in the sand are young. That's the way it's always been. The old farts do the talking and the young ones do the dying.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 14:34      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace

You're looking very smart there, soldier. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 15:26      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's your rifle, where's your gun? Is it for shooting, or is it for fun? [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 20:33      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: Sorry about that, and thanks, I'll do my best. The date is Jan 11-24th (~ish) for 14 months.

Xan: Thanks

Rhonnie: No worries. It's a big misconception among marines. We're all 6'2", 250lbs barrel chested with dark tans, worn hands, chizled chins and rock hard cheek bones and we enjoy eating babies between meals.

And a little insight to the throat punch, for those who dont know:
quote:

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 21:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only Marine I know is tall and skinny... but then, he played euphonium in the Marine Band, so he doesn't really count. [Razz]

--------------------

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 14:08      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our band members deploy to the sand box with us. They attach to an army Security Battallion. They run perimeter security, area patrolls, Fast Reaction Teams for attacks on our compounds and road blocks in nearby cities and while they're in garrison, they play some of the greatest music any musician could ever get to play: The National Anthem, and the Marine Corps Hymn.
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 14:12      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Marine is a Marine. They all go through the same basic and combat training. If one can't pass muster there, they don't get a pass just because they can play an instrument. [shake head]

Edit
Beaten to the draw. BTW Jace, looking smart in those Blues!

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 16:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had to post this link

quote:
From TFA:
Miss Israel has been given permission to not carry her rifle while serving in the army because she says it bruises her legs.

Israel's reigning beauty queen, Yael Nezri, a private who recently completed basic training, said the bruises were making modelling difficult.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 18:49      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pictures, Jace. Thanks for posting them.
And it was great to read the history of the uniform.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 18:52      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"everyone fights... and no one gets left behind..."

Plaudits for those who know the original source!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 23:28      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow you're pretty.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture