homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Use of tasers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Use of tasers
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 15:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am for police use of tasers. I think they save lives even though they take them as well. Here is yet anouther person being tased by police in LA. I do not agree with the use of tasers in this and many other cases.

Tasers should be used by police to protect themselves or others from dangerous people. I do not believe they should be used to "control" uncooperative persons. Tasers can be lethal.

I see a recent trend of people being made to cooperate with tasers. This scares me.

I also remember a very recent youtube vid of police tasing a handcuffed man in the back of a police car. I am sure in this state he was presenting as a danger to himself and other.

verdammte Schweine

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 15:59      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LAPD has a pretty bad reputation for a reason.

I agree that tasers should not be used as a control device on persons already subdued. It generally isn't really necessary. However, I think police are often quick to use it on people who only appear "uncooperative" in order to avoid putting themselves in a risky situation. Officers often can't tell when an uncooperative person might suddenly turn violent, and aren't always willing to take the risk.

Edit: Now, if you want a really disturbing incident: this one, which occurred just north of here, takes the cake.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 21:09      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK so Mr smart alc gollege student is asked by police to leave- which should they do?

A. tase him after numerous attemps to have him comply.
B. Sic the Dog on him after numerous attemps to have him comply.
C. beat him with sticks after numerous attemps to have him comply.
D. be killed when they lay hands on him and he pulls knife or gun?

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 22:48      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't see anything wrong with him getting tased once, but tasing him again for not getting up is odd. Once he was on the ground, my understanding is that the correct procedure would be to cuff him and then get him out of there. There were enough officers there to handle carrying him out if he refused to stand on his own.

This isn't to say that the kid, and some of the others, weren't acting like complete morons and making the situation worse. However, it's the officers' job to maintain control and behave professionally, and they weren't doing such a great job of it. They were further agitating the crowd each time they tased him, and that isn't such a great idea.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 23:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
OK so Mr smart alc gollege student is asked by police to leave- which should they do?

While the police are not yet commenting on the specifics of the case there was a student interview I saw where the student said the suspect was actually shot in the back (with the taser) as he attemped to leave the library. Even though He initaially said he would not leave.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 23:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
Edit: Now, if you want a really disturbing incident: this one, which occurred just north of here, takes the cake.

quote:
From TFA:
Marcie Noriega, the Madera police officer who says she mistook her service weapon for her Taser and accidentally shot and killed Everardo Torres, 24, of Madera, will not face charges for the shooting.

Taser...

-

Glock...

-

What did the 'suspect' do to deserve this?
Kick her guide dog and steal her white cane?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 08:22      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:

quote:
From

What did the 'suspect' do to deserve this?
Kick her guide dog and steal her white cane?

Oh, yeah... and it gets even better.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 09:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even the media reporters seem to be biased on the police officers side.

quote:
when Noriega tried to subdue him with the taser.
Noriega didn't try to subdue him with a taser. Noreiga tried to subdue him with a glock.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 10:48      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

quote:
Noriega didn't try to subdue him with a taser. Noreiga tried to subdue him with a glock.
Huh? I'm guessing your stance is that the officer intended to kill the subject. While that's a possibility, it's doubtful. She didn't really have anything to gain by killing him. ("Don't attribute to malice what can easily be explained by stupidity" I think that's right, but I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.)

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 10:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

quote:
Huh? I'm guessing your stance is that the officer intended to kill the subject. While that's a possibility, it's doubtful. She didn't really have anything to gain by killing him. ("Don't attribute to malice what can easily be explained by stupidity" I think that's right, but I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.)
NO I think it was an innocent mistake on the part of the police officer, I just think the way the incident is desribed in the news is biased on the side of the officer.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 10:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All__________________________________This is the MoMan speaking. That commands respect doesn't it. Now there has been a disernable change of point of view of Police officers from Public Servants to I AM THE LAW. I read and hear of too many times that these public servants act as if they are above the very laws that they are supposed to enforce. I think that Barney Fife has started to take over too many departments. Last weekend there was a three hour special about Waco and how screwed up it became. Why did we have tanks circling a Church? What is wrong with a non student at a state supported college using the Library? Public funds built the building and are paying the staff.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 12:40      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked with the Director of Campus Safety here, and he's familiar with the incident in the original post. He agreed that the officers were not being very smart in repeatedly tasing the subject, for the reasons I originally mentioned. He also told me that he found out through UCLA's campus police chief that the kid was a known heavy drug user (including psychedelics), so they did have reason for caution with him.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
What is wrong with a non student at a state supported college using the Library? Public funds built the building and are paying the staff.

On this subject, colleges have good reason for being very cautious regarding allowing unknown persons on campus. Firstly, college students are targets for crime. They tend to be quite naive, and, of particular concern, there are a number of men with sick fantasies regarding college girls out there. Even small colleges like the one I work at have had several run-ins with those types.

Also, colleges are put in a position where they are expected to go to nearly any lengths to protect those students. Parents often don't think of their college-age children as adults yet, so, if anything happens, they blame the school, not their child's lack of judgement. The Clery Act also requires colleges to give information regarding serious crime on campus available to current and prospective students, as well as make it available to the general public. As a result, there is a lot of pressure to make sure the campus is safe, for public relations as well as liability reasons.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 13:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, yeah... and it gets even better.

Lol !

They say truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.

/me has visions of the jury selection. Any potential juror who doesn't have dark glasses and a cane will be challenged by lawyers for Madera County.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 01:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In other taser related news ...
quote:
from TFA:
A clumsy New Zealand policeman attending a domestic dispute accidentally shot himself and a teenager with a stun gun before pepper-spraying an innocent woman.

The constable was loading his weapon when he accidentally zapped himself with the stun gun's 50,000 volts while trying to stun a man at the centre of the incident last month, the New Zealand Herald reports.

Another shot hit the man's 16-year-old son.

After five attempts to hit the man, the officer eventually used pepper spray, but succeeded only in hitting the man's 21-year-old daughter - an unintended target.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 02:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
In other taser related news ...
quote:
from TFA:
A clumsy New Zealand policeman attending a domestic dispute accidentally shot himself and a teenager with a stun gun before pepper-spraying an innocent woman.

The constable was loading his weapon when he accidentally zapped himself with the stun gun's 50,000 volts while trying to stun a man at the centre of the incident last month, the New Zealand Herald reports.

Another shot hit the man's 16-year-old son.

After five attempts to hit the man, the officer eventually used pepper spray, but succeeded only in hitting the man's 21-year-old daughter - an unintended target.

Wasn't this one of the episodes of the keystone cops?

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture