homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » two'fer Tuesday - drivers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: two'fer Tuesday - drivers
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 08:57      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted a Friday Five in a week or so. In the interim, here is a two'fer

List your two pet peeves about drivers or annoying driver habits.

Mine:
1. People who pass you to be ahead of you at the red light
2. People who nose out of a parking lot hoping you'll let them in and then never look up on their cellphone to see you are giving them a chance.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
List your two pet peeves about drivers or annoying driver habits.

1) People who don't indicate before changing lanes, turning a corner etc. It's lazy and selfish and very often dangerous... and it is usually drivers of luxury cars that are the culprits.

2) People who knowingly park where they are not entitled to, and then complain when they get a ticket or get towed away. They can't be bothered to park in a legitimate space and walk the few extra yards. [Mad]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:18      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Drivers who rev their engines and speed by about six inches from my handlebar. Makes my heart skip a beat and generally results in hollering and middle-finger exposure from me.

2. Drivers who yell "GET OFF THE ROAD," as if I'm supposed to be cycling on the sidewalk. Bitch, please. [Roll Eyes]

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

2) People who knowingly park where they are not entitled to, and then complain when they get a ticket or get towed away. They can't be bothered to park in a legitimate space and walk the few extra yards. [Mad]

This is a difficult determiation. How does one know if someone is entitled to park in a handicapped space? Lazy people can easily get a faked or bribed doctors note to get a handicap hanger or license plate.

I like the solution they have here. The best parking spaces are painted in a blue outline. If you want to park in one, you must purchase a sticker for your car. Anyone can buy one and they are expensive.

Oh and my pet peeves.

1. Motorcycles and mopeds in the bike lanes. You may fit but you're not allowed.
2. Cops that speed with no good reason.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:23      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about threefer Thursday? We've got to have threefer Thursday...

1. Drivers who pass you to come to a sudden stop and turn right in front of you about 30 yards further down the road, without a signal, and typically the farsejoles don't have brake lights.

2. Drivers that don't know what the word "yield" means.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:44      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - People who think that as long as it's yellow when they get in, they're OK. (Yellow means: "stop if you can safely do it by the stop line, continue if you can't," not "it's almost red - get there before it's too late!" If one's still passing when the other way has turned green, accidents happens!)

2 - It's hard to pick only one other, but I'll say those who don't wait for me to safely change back into the regular lane and pass me on the right (make that left, for those in left-driving countries), even if it means that they get at less than a meter away from both my car and the one I just passed. All that while driving over 115 km/h, and they usually do so without flashers, of course. (I almost hit one of those a couple of months ago - I signalled my change, gave a look at my right even though I knew I had enough space in front of the car I just passed, and there was the car that was behind me a couple of seconds before. And of course, he cut me to pass the next car. [Mad] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:47      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) People that think that their car is too big to turn normally so they turn the other way first like a bus...

2) People that stop incorrectly, to the annoyance of lots of other road users, to let you out. It makes you feel silly.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:58      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. People who hold up a long line of cars at a green light in order to wave out someone who just pulled up to the exit of a parking lot.

2. People who drive slow in the fast lane, right next to someone else going the exact same speed.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 11:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
1. People who hold up a long line of cars at a green light in order to wave out someone who just pulled up to the exit of a parking lot.

2. People who drive slow in the fast lane, right next to someone else going the exact same speed.

You get annoyed at people who are

1. Just being nice

2. not going to speed.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 11:31      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of how nice they are, they're not driving properly. It takes a lot of skill to be able to safely and efficiently let/encourage another road user to break the rules. So many people think they're being helpful when they're actually causing danger or upsetting other people's days.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 11:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Ash, but while you might be right in principle, it's just no good.

In many places here in the States, as well as England, the 'far/fast' last is supposed to be used for *passing.* It's not meant to be a 'casual travel' lane. Granted, according to NYS DMV code, you are not to exceed the speed limit even for passing, but common sense dictates that those who are passing might be going a few MPH over the limit. Sitting there stubbornly in the left lane 'because I can' is just inconsiderate.

What's worse is that this creates a warped condition in which people pass others at insane speeds in the 'near/slow' lane. Going home at night, I'll be doing around the speed limit (65 MPH) in the middle lane, and be passed on the right by someone doing 80. *That* is not the place to pass, but they're passive aggressive and it's also possible that the person to the left of me is doing 67. I'd be in the right lane, but it's just not pratical.

OTOH, with the exception of roundabouts, I rather like driving in England, as people are considerate, and actually stick to the near lane unless they're passing. Mind you, it's quite interesting to be driving around the speed limit (75 MPH), if not a bit higher to go with traffic, and be passed by someone doing ~85, and that person is being passed by someone doing 100. Still, it just moves swiftly and there are very few mixups, or so it would seem. Not only that, but the 'services' are damn civilised - the only other annoyance is the abundance of speed cameras.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 11:44      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Seconded. If there isn't much traffic, letting someone in is fine; I do it all the time. However, if it is going to delay traffic for a bunch of people, you are hindering people more than you help. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one.

We don't really have that issue with slow/fast lane people here. The only time it's an issue is when a semi goes to pass another semi, things can get ugly.

I'll add my own peeve to the list: people turning left over double yellow lines. You can't do that! If you supposed to be able to turn left there, there would be a turn lane or a break in the lines. Where I live now, people seem to disregard this, stopping entire lanes of traffic just so they can turn left- illegally.

If you want to turn left like that, pull up to the next light and pull a U-turn. Perfectly legal, and makes traffic move a lot more efficiently.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 11:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. People who think their phone call is more important than everyone else's safety.

2. People who think everyone else wants to be 'entertained' by their choice of music.

3. People who want to drive way over the speed limit, and are rude to all those other drivers who 'get in the way' by driving at the speed limit.

4. People who can't count to 2.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 11:54      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who pull out in front of you and then go about 20 miles an hour.

And as Maximile said, people who don't seem capable of simply turning, but must first swing way over into the other lane. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 12:42      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:

You get annoyed at people who are

1. Just being nice

I believe in being polite when driving, not "nice". I define polite drivers as those who try to help out other drivers, but keep the rules of the road in mind so that their behavior is relatively predictable and traffic flows well. "Nice" drivers are unpredictable people who hold up traffic, and sometimes do downright dangerous things, just so they can help a single driver and feel good about what nice people they are.

I am perfectly willing to leave a couple of car-lengths when stopping at a red light and wave a person out who's trying to exit a parking lot. However, those who hold up a line of cars at a green light often cause a small traffic jam, in which maybe half the cars made it through the light than should have been able to.

quote:
2. not going to speed.

Not going to speed in the slow lane is fine. Sometimes their vehicles just aren't able to go that fast. It's when they block traffic from being able to pass that it bothers me.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 14:31      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

quote:Originally posted by Grummash:

This is a difficult determiation. How does one know if someone is entitled to park in a handicapped space? Lazy people can easily get a faked or bribed doctors note to get a handicap hanger or license plate.

I take your point, but that is a different issue to the one I raised. My issue is simple - if someone parks their BMW or Merc on double yellow lines, flashing the hazard lights does not make it ok. If the traffic warden gives them a "fixed penalty notice" it is their own fault and it is certainly not the injustice they would have us believe.

quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
1 - People who think that as long as it's yellow when they get in, they're OK. (Yellow means: "stop if you can safely do it by the stop line, continue if you can't," not "it's almost red - get there before it's too late!" If one's still passing when the other way has turned green, accidents happens!)

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] I hate this behaviour too!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 14:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the matter of lights that are yellow, about to turn red...
You haven't driven in NY, then have you? [Wink]

But seriously...I do*... and generally stop at them sooner than I might need to because of cops and red light cameras. I've been 'tapped' on my bumper by a taxi that didn't stop as fast as I did, though - I should have gone through it...red light cameras are certainly the cause of many rear end collisions.

I'd also like to point out that green does not mean go, but 'proceed with caution.' That means you should be checking first for anyone who is going through the red light, despite your green. "Right of way" means jack sh*t when you're in the ambulance or six feet under.

*From time to time - driving in Westchester is a lot easier. [Razz] OTOH, we have our share of cell phone drivers...something you don't get nearly as many of in the city, as it's totally understood that you need to focus your attention on the road and all the other crazy drivers. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 15:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traffic controls in general mean jackshit when you're in an ambulance with the lights and sirens going...

I'm kind of wary of drivers in general. Something about climbing into a metal box makes people blind.

My least favorite driving habits:
- not seeing bikers
- not blinking. I can see you, but if you don't give any indication as to what you're planning to do next, I can't take any action to protect myself from your blind ass. Now, if a driver is in a turn lane I can make some logical guesses, and I can and will try to make eye contact before entering the intersection just to make sure they know I'm there and I have the right-of-way (people coming across alays have priority over people making turns), but not all intersections have turn lanes, not all drivers are looking out their windshield, and most driveways don't have a special turn lane either. So blink goddamit!

MY least favorite biking habits:
- running red lights
- running stop signs
Cars don't see us. You do anything unexpected and you're going to get creamed. 'Nuff said.

What's really funny is, when I drive, all the things that make me skittish when I'm biking still make me skittish when I'm in a car. Even though I'm also in a metal box and therefore, magically, visible to all the other metal boxes. I also feel like I'm not getting enough information, like I can't hear or feel or smell as well when I'm in my metal box. I drive a rattly old car too. :/

I also hate tail-gaters. My car doesn't go that fast. I know my car doesn't go that fast. Trying to drive your SUV up my tailpipe is not going to change that, and this is why I drive in the right lane. You can't scare any extra power into a 24 year-old Subaru. I'm sorry. It just doesn't work that way, so just fscking pass me, mmkay?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 15:58      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. The driver in front of you who drives slow until you try to pass, at which time that driver speeds up so you can't pass.

2. The driver in back of you who tailgates with bright lights glaring, and no matter what you do to slow down or signal them to pass, they won't

And it really sucks when you end up between the two.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 17:27      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here where I live, AKA too-rich-for-turn-signals-ville, I have witnessed all these problems and more.
And being an outsider that learned to drive elsewhere, I'm constantly astonished by what I witness.

However, to mix things up, my top two college driver pet peeves:
1) the 7 seater SUV with 14 sorority girls in it, all sitting on each others laps. Not only is the drivers vision impaired by mounds of bleached blonde hair, but they're generally distracted as well.
2)Agriculture majors that have huge trucks that are jacked up so that their headlights are straight in line with my mirrors and I'm blinded at night, whether they're tailgating me or not.

ahhhh college.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 19:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA: What about the attention of people riding next to them?! [Razz]

(They may be complete airheads, but I'm willing to bet some people would be distracted by an SUV packed full of sorority girls. [Wink] )

--------------------

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 20:06      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA: Are you *from* NC, or do you just go to school there. You sound like my niece, who is a fairly preppy blonde from Long Island - she was totally floored by the blondeness her classmates at Wake Forest.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 07:03      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Charlotte, NC, which is 3 or so hours away. However, like Raleigh, it doesn't really scream "zomg southern!" ...but it isn't a complete friggin' mess either.

But because of the research triangle park and NC State and UNC Chapel Hill, there are people from anywhere and everywhere moving to these parts, and what you get is a glorious mish mash of idiots who can't drive.

living here makes me want to leave the country and never come back.

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 12:11      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
1. Drivers who rev their engines and speed by about six inches from my handlebar. Makes my heart skip a beat and generally results in hollering and middle-finger exposure from me.

2. Drivers who yell "GET OFF THE ROAD," as if I'm supposed to be cycling on the sidewalk. Bitch, please. [Roll Eyes]

Ill second this being a biker on campus.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 12:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demo: There're too many bikers in my town for drivers to yell at us, and most of the driver's aren't malciious either. Just inattentive. However, sometimes you'll meet a jackass who thinks their SUV gives them a license to kill. I had a driver try to squish me while I was in the bike lane a few weeks ago. I held my space on the road (had no choice really; if I jumped the curb I'd become one with a tree) and finally he swerved back into his lane. I was too focused on staying alive and understanding what was happening to get his plate number, and I'm still wondering, did his dick add or lose an inch because he played chicken with a cyclist and lost?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture