homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » The Seven Wonders

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Seven Wonders
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2006 18:31      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the hub bub surrounding the selection of the New Seven Wonders of the World got me to thinking, if I could only see the items on one list, which would it be? Well, the New Seven Wonders have yet to be decided, but will be announced on 7/7/07. The list of 21 candidates is below

Of course, I’d love to see all of them, but if I had to make a choice, I believe I would choose the original list of Ancient Wonders. Which would you choose, based on the lists below?

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World

The Temple of Artemis
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
The Lighthouse at Alexandria
The Pyramids at Giza
The Statue of Zeus

Candidates for the New Seven Wonders of the World

The Acropolis
Alhambra
Angkor
Chichen Itzá
Christ Redeemer
The Colosseum
Easter Island
Eiffel Tower
Great Wall of China
Hagia Sophia
Kiyomizu Temple
Kremlin
Machu Picchu
Neuschwanstein Castle
Petra
Pyramids of Giza
Statue of Liberty
Stonehenge
Sydney Opera House
Taj Mahal
Timbuktu

Seven Wonders of the Modern World

The Channel Tunnel
CN Tower
Empire State Buliding
Golden Gate Bridge
Itaipu Dam
Netherlands North Sea Protection Works
Panama Canal

As if that weren’t enough, Good Morning America (American news/chat show) recently assembled a panel of great thinkers of our time to select a list of New Seven Wonders (supposedly of the modern world).

Potala Palace
Jerusalem City
The Polar Ice Caps added 11/13/06
Northwestern Hawaiian Islands National Marine Monument added 11/14/06
The Internet
Mayan Pryramids
The Great African Migration

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2006 19:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to say it, but I've always been kind of unimpressed by the seven wonders of the world and most of these aren't that interesting to me.

The seven natural wonders of the world, however, hold a great deal of interest for me:

Mount Everest
Victoria Falls
Grand Canyon
Great Barrier Reef
Northern Lights
Paricutin volcano
Harbor of Rio de Janeiro

I've had opportunities to see the northern lights and grand canyon, but none of the others so far. Perhaps one day.

I'm surprised to see that the Statue of Liberty is on the list of candidates, but Mount Rushmore is not. Somehow Mount Rushmore seems like a muge larger accomplishment, although the statue stands for something more significant.

I would also have put China's Forbidden City on the list, because it is a lot more wondrous than many of the other entries.

It's also interesting to note that the Giza pyramids, one of the wonders of the ancient world, are on the new wonders list too. It ought to be in by default as a result [Smile]

If I had to choose the other six, I'd pick Easter Island and Stonehenge because I love the fact that nobody really knows why ancient people felt the need to make what they left behind (although the movie Rapa Nui offers an interesting, albeit totally fictional, account of Easter Island). Chichen Itzá and Machu Picchu for similar reason, although they're just ancient ruins and not really huge mysteries. The Great Wall and The Colosseum because they're just that impressive (although I think the Roman aqueduct system is actually more impressive, if not as showy).

Hmm... I seem to have a preference for ancient ruins over modern constructions. I'm sure there's a psychologist somewhere who'd have a field day with that.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2006 23:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoever put Victoria Falls on the list has obviously never seen Iguazu Falls, far more impressive.

-

This little picture doesn't do them any justice.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 07:59      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd definitely pick the original seven Ancient Wonders, but that's because there's such an obviously Classical bent to the list, and it brings out a rush of geeky joy within me [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

I have to say, though - what is the point of making such a list? I find it vaguely irritating that people feel that they have to come up with a definitive set of things which can be called wonders, which are then force fed to others. How many cool things have been overlooked by time because they just missed out on making the Seven Wonders list?

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 08:44      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to Kiyomizu-dera in Kyoto. And while it is an interesting temple, I don't think it's spectacular enough to be considered a wonder of the world.

As for natural wonders, I think that Waimea Canyon on the island of Kauai is worth a mention. [Smile]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 14:14      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
edited for being stupid.

Oh - and take a look at the Millau Viaduct. That is a thing to see!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 18:52      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get lots of questions at the library about various wonders lists.

I think the terracotta warriors in China are pretty spectacular.

I think Rushmore has that whole made on Native American holy lands thing going against it. Or maybe that isn't why they left it off.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 19:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I think Rushmore has that whole made on Native American holy lands thing going against it. Or maybe that isn't why they left it off.

Could be because it's an cheap copy of Stone Mountain (which features Confederate 'heroes'). There are, of course, pretty obvious reasons why _that_ would be left off the list.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 00:28      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be intersted in seeing the Seven Natural Wonders Of The World although every list definitely holds appeal.
Pleasantly suprised to see the CN Tower on the Modern World list, but after my visit last year it's a wonder how they can charge the prices they do! (First they charge you for thinking about going, then they charge admission, then...)

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 19:26      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'oh! I forgot the Seven Natural Wonders. Even still, I think I'd stick with my selection of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. I'd especially love to see the Colossus of Rhodes, the pyramids at Giza and the Statue of Zeus.

Steen, I too was puzzled by the Statue of Liberty as one of the new contenders. But then, several things on that list don't strike me as Wonderous enough to be a wonder. [Confused] I agree with your take on the nomination though.

Aditu, the terracotta soilders! That would be a great candidate. In fact, I was just discussing them with another GC member. Now that is something I would really love to see. Fascinating. [Smile]

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 19:52      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a time machine?
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 20:14      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
Got a time machine?

Now that would be a wonder. [Big Grin]
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 22:03      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How come there are no Big Science facilities in the list?

eg:
Arecibo
Keck Telescopes
VLA
CERN
Square Kilometer Array (when it's built)
ITER
Hubble Space Telescope even

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:43      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an excellent point, AstronomerJedi.
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 18:47      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that the GMA list has been completed, I would still stay with my original choice of seeing the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture