homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - working for the weekend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - working for the weekend
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 10:01      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stole these from someone, but now I forgot who...

1. What’s the most embarrassing thing/job you’ve had to do to earn money?
2. What’s the easiest and quickest way you have earned a buck?
3. If you could set your own salary, according to your skills and worth, how much would you earn?
4. Are you a good saver?
5. What’s the most expensive and useless thing you have ever bought?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 10:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I have never had a job I thought was embarrasing. I interned one summer at a waste water treatment facility. I had to take pH and depth measurements and such of decomposing shit. Wasn't embarrased though

see above, I had about 20, 1 minute measurements to take in an eight hour shift, spent most of my time watching movies on the clock. Sounds good but i became so bored I hated it.
Didn't learn much either.

3. If you could set your own salary, according to your skills and worth, how much would you earn?

Less than I make now

4. Are you a good saver?

Yes

N/A

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 10:53      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

While I was helping out at the Test Match (see below) my cousin (who works there) took me on a tour of the offices and the commentary boxes. In the TV commentators box I nearly made Tony Greig (a famous cricketer) spill his coffee all over himself. He gave me the biggest evil eye ever. I nearly pissed myself laughing when we got out of the room.

Easiest: Stood in the middle of the WACA ground during the cricket test last year ensuring the inflatible Milo can couldn't blow away.

Quickest: Getting a strike while playing Ten Pin Glow Bowling. For doing that with the three coloured pins in the 1, 2 and 3 positions I won $5.

Based on skills - nothing
Based on worth - everything

4. Are you a good saver?

I sure am. I save up for something I want and then have no money again.

Probably the $150 jacket I bought earlier in the year and have only worn once or twice.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 11:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had to do anything embarassing. Gross maybe, but not embarassing.

My dad would pay me from time to time to sort/file papers.

Close to twice what I earn now (which would be the going rate for someone of my experience and skill level in the real world). Even more than that once I get my degree.

4. Are you a good saver?
Not really.

I'm not sure. I haven't bought anything I'd call useless. I've bought some pricey climbing gear because I like things that are durable and of good quality, and also there're certain features I just like to have when it comes to harnesses, helmets, jackets and crampons. Also stuff wears out and that's a good excuse to upgrade. I don't go out and get the most expensive thing I can find, but I don't necessarily go for the cheapest either. I know what I like and what I need and I find whatever fits those requirements without breaking the bank. Except for my shell. That cost me more than I really like to think about. But it's a damn good shell made by a damn good company and I use it for more than just mountaineering. The iPod and the car are probably frivolous, but I wouldn't say they're useless. Well, maybe the car...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 11:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Birthday party clown.

Bonus money for carrying a cell phone and being on call 24/7. It adds about $15k a year to my salary and I go about two months between calls. I feel oddly guilty about it sometimes.

A lot less. See previous answer.

4. Are you a good saver?
Yes, but mostly because I lead an increasingly monk-like existence. Other than CDs and food, I don't buy a lot of stuff anymore. I've also been slowly giving away or selling most of what I have. If it keeps up, I'll soon be one of those homeless guys who carries around a paper bag full of money.

Nicole.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 12:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't embarrassing, but I used to work ticket booths at the county fair. Oddly one of my worst jobs ever as you have large numbers of horse owners that yell at you because they forgot their paperwork to get into feed their horses without paying. Wouldn't want to shell out that buck fifty would you? Nope, lets just scream at the underpaid college student about your horse's death being her fault.

Answering survey questions in college

Sad to say I'm pretty much earning the going rate in my field. It pays crap.
4. Are you a good saver? I think I'm not bad, but do it by payroll deduct.
I tend to buy cheap useless things like the CD player that I bought to use in the car. However it sounds like garbage plugged into my car system.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 17:01      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It would probally be the time i had to dress up as one of those big bears and spent my whole saturday hugging kids who i couldn't even see because the costume would only let me look straight ahead so i was basically being tackled by kids all day and not to mention it was 35 degrees celcius outside.

N/A

However much money it takes for me to live comfertable enough that i don't have to worry about money.

4. Are you a good saver?

I'm better then most people

I haven't really bought one really big stupid item instead i have all these little things which i don't even remember why i bought.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 17:03      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't think I can remember being embarassed about doing stuff to earn money - though I have done some pretty grotty jobs.

I have taken £50 to clean up a virus and spyware infested PC before now... though then again me being me I spent all evening making sure it was back to A1 condition...

About twice what I currently do. I know lots of guys earn more than I do but I work in a small Co. and they pay me well enough and respect me... that is worth a lot actually, probably nearly as much as the extra I could command (and I don't have to commute, that probably makes up the difference) [Big Grin]

4. Are you a good saver?
I don't understand the question... what is this "Saving" of which you speak... and if you meant "shaver" the answer is the same [Big Grin]

Errrm, I have expensive stuff and I have useless stuff - but you can pick one of two... worst buy ever was probably a diesel MPV that was supposed to be pukka but was actually a total stinking dog and died inside 3 months leaving me at least 2 grand outta pocket.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 20:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I've never done anything particularly embarrassing for money, but I will tell you that my absolute worst job ever was working as a 3rd shift stock boy at Meijer for $6/hr. If the $6/hr wasn't bad enough, constantly being told that my work wasn't good enough made it that much worse.

I once made $100 by driving to Michigan City (about 25 miles), buying a USB keyboard for $10 at Meijer, then locating and entering one of my company's lab trailers... only to find out that Lou had already replaced his keyboard before I got there and the problem was already resolved.

Depends on how you want to slant that question. Kris the Chemist should be earning about $20K a year, Kris the Computer Guy should earn about $45K a year, but Kris the Teacher (coming to a school near you, August 2010!) *should* earn $85K a year (though it will be more like $20K, no one goes into teaching for the money).

4. Are you a good saver?

I put the "froo" in frugal!

My 1978 VW Microbus, hands down. Cost me $1300 to buy it, my current bill for repair and upkeep is $2600 and growing. Sure it's brought me good times and good vibes, but from a purely logical perspective, it's a horrible money pit and it does me no more good than any other motorized vehicle would.

That being said, I just can't wait until it's running again! [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2006 23:20      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had to do anything embarrassing for money, not yet anyway! Anything embarrassing I have done would have been for free....
Nothing springs to mind here... I've never been one to spot a money-making opportunity.
The same as my boss, at least! So maybe 70% more than I earn now.
4. Are you a good saver?
If there is money coming in, then yes. But if there is nothing left at the end of the month to squirrel away, I don't worry about it.
Not the most expensive, but definitely useless, was a £400 sofa which was allegedly a top-quality piece of furniture. Two years later we were sitting on the floor as that was more comfortable [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2006 08:11      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never done anything embarrassing. During my schooldays I had some "mac jobs" in fashion stores and the like, that's the only stain on my CV.
During my last vacation I got really bored and prepared some multi-language glossaries covering various subjects like environmental protection, health&safety, computers and the like and by chance found a publisher. That thing is now selling pretty well - much to my surprise. Long live boredom!!!
Much more than I do earn now. My problem as a freelancer is that I usually don't charge all those hours I work in the background.
4. Are you a good saver?
What's a saver?
A designer business suit which wouldn't have even fitted me when I was thirteen. It was reduced in price - to around $ 2,000 - but only available in micro-sizes. Still hanging in my closet as a kind of memorial ...

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2006 10:14      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dressing as a clown to make-up children for a store promotion. My costume sucked, I couldn't stand putting that white muck on my face so I didn't, and I had no experience. I was pleased when I got the call telling me they'd rather do without me than have me come the next day. [Big Grin] (My mother wanted me to do it regardless of everything, and the money would have been welcome.)

Hmmm, nope, nothing comes to my mind. The only contests I won didn't have cash prizes, so that doesn't count. I may have won a couple of bucks with a gift lottery ticket, though.

I think my current salary is pretty much to the level of my skills and worth. Too bad I don't get to work to the full extent of them.

4. Are you a good saver?
Yes. I only recently discovered the joy of spending without (too much) guilt. I consider to have a good balance between income and credit, and saving and spending, and I have two automatic saving plans (one for investment, the other is a saving account to be used as an emergency fund). I'll allow myself to spend limitless when I'll have three months of expense's worth in liquidity. I won't happen soon, though, as there are a few spending matters I've been eyeing for a while now (a silent violin, a new sewing machine, a rice cooker, and by the time I buy them, there will be some more on my list).

Expensive AND useless? You may want to consider some computer games, although they are used for distraction. Some expensive reference books I have hardly opened may fall in that category too, but the true value of reference documentation is to have it when you need it. The PS2 and DDR pad are also exercice tools. I don't use much my threadmill, but it's not useless. Nor is my electronic piano or my car. And that sums up the list of my expensive toys. [Big Grin] Now... does jewelry counts? I have a few gold chains and some opals (on earrings, pendants, and a ring - I love opals!) I have bought I could have done without. But they help me feeling pretty, so they're not totally useless, are they? [Wink]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2006 14:47      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Various one-off psychology experiments over the years... usually all I earned was a Mars bar or a quid, sadly

By catching someone trying to pay for petrol with a stolen credit card. You take it off them, fill in the form and send it off. Bang, eighty pounds!

I'd get paid in chocolate.

4. Are you a good saver?
No, I'm utterly useless.

Probably the MA I'm doing right now...

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2006 19:49      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't recall any. Had quite a few boring jobs, but nothing I would consider embarassing.

Let's see... Signed up for Charles Schwab Visa card, pocketed the $100 sign-up bonus, cancelled the card a couple months later. Signed up for Jets MasterCard, got the free iPod Nano, cancelled the card a few months later. Signed up for a Sony Visa card, pocketed the $100 sign-up bonus, used the balance transfer offer as an interest-free one year loan. Same goes for a few other cards. Contrary to a popular belief, there's lots of free money out there.

Eh, perhaps $10K more than what I'm getting right now...

4. Are you a good saver?
I was pretty damn terrible, until I started investing and transferred most of my money into a brokerage account. Having to pay comission and the idea of giving up potential capital gains whenever I need to sell a stock to get the money out of the account usually keeps me from spending unholy amounts on some totally useless crap.

I've been thinking about buying some semi-decent car lately - that's going to be rather expensive and totally useless for someone who lives in a large city with good public transportation. Not counting that, a laptop (already have a decent desktop,) a Tungsten C that probably hasn't left its cradle in the past year, a Nano that's still sitting in a box next to a 30 gig iPod (and the free Nano a got for signing up for a credit card a couple months after I bought the original Nano,) etc...

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2006 13:04      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sitting down on a busy sidewalk with a bass guitar and putting out a hat.

Easiest job was my bike messenger gig; I mean, I was getting paid to ride my bike. The gig that earned the most cash in the least time was working as a camerawoman/video editor for a pornographer.

I'm arrogant, so I'd just take control of the accounts, thanks.

4. Are you a good saver?
Hell no. Every time I try to set aside some money, some big expensive emergency comes up.

Paris Hilton? Ha! [Roll Eyes]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2006 17:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I don't think I've ever done anything embarrasing for money.

Setting up an iPod for someone. It wasn't exactly /quick/ given that she only had USB1.1, but sitting there working on the crossword puzzle while 6 GB transferred to it, all the while, collecting my hourly consulting rate...definitely qualified for 'easiest.'

_Plenty_ Probably a few times what I'm currently making, though I'd probably be less comfortable.

4. Are you a good saver?

Pretty much.

Either my Palm V or my Sharp Zaurus. I've enjoyed both over time, but never used them to their fullest extent. I still enjoy having the Zaurus around as an Ogg player when flying, though. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2006 18:29      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I guess lots of stuff about my job could be considered embarrassing; I just choose not to be embarrassed by it. I currently have a quick-change wherein I have to get a guy out of a soaking wet costume, towel-dry him, and get him into dry clothes (underwear included) in about 2 minutes and 9 seconds. Lots of room for embarrassment in there, let me tell you.

My friend once hired me to babysit some contractors who were working on her boss's house. I basically sat in the kitchen/garden and read a book, for about 10 hours/day for a week, and got $25/hr plus meals.

No idea.

4. Are you a good saver?

Nope.

Soooo many things. I probably feel most guilty about various pairs of designer shoes that I wore only once. Oh, and shares of a coworker's (possibly fictitious) company. I hear he is currently in Japan living large. [shake head]

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2006 01:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I worked for one of the British banks once (the one that all my workmates assured me had the worst reputation in britain) but I was too embarassed to admit it, so I told all my friends I was a piano player in a whore-house.

Like Steen, I've had a couple of jobs that paid an allowance for being available for after-hours calls, so I got paid even when the phone didn't ring

[b]3. If you could set your own salary, according to your skills and worth, how much would you earn?[/qb]

I think what I'm being paid now is pretty good, but of course I'd take more if it was available. Sky's the limit.

4. Are you a good saver?

Yes.
Must be my Scottish heritage.

I'm married.
'Nuf said. [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2006 16:20      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessycat:
That "possibly fictitious" company wouldn't happen to be called Google, would it? [Smile]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture